01/24 Spacey PMPS=82, +2=100 STARTED EATING

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Spacey & Ella, Jan 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Link to yesterday

Spacey and my other kitty do still not eat.
    I dropped dead last night and hubby took over care for Spacey.

No shot this morning cause she didn't eat and hubby didn't feel like giving any insulin. I'm too tired to argue or think. On the other hand: I did have to force feed her yesterday after the 1IE. That didn't go to well. Half of it came out when hubby was on watch.
    So maybe giving nothing is a good call @ the moment.

Gave her a couple of treats (+2) she vacuumed. Hope that stay's in. Of course they are hc, have to deal with that later. Since no shot, things are screwed up anyway.
    Someone suggested baby food yesterday. Going to get some and maybe some raw organ meat. They both seem kind of 'mentally allergic' to chicken. I think they associate it now with what's happening to them. Guess what I just bought in huge amounts? :sad:

She is drinking a lot of water, with her diarrhea that's no wonder. She walks also unstable and lies down to drink. Since she's not eating and has upset tummy I don't give the Metacam. So there's no wonder either.
    And I don't continue the AB-treatment. So the infection is not clearing out. Things are not good right now.
    Wonder if things going to be this way now for the rest of her life. One good day followed by sh*tty days. And then again one good day and so on.

2. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Re: 01/24 Spacey AMPS=138, no food no shot

Hi Ella,
    Oh it sounds like such a frustrating and exhausting start to your day (((((ella)))). Im so sorry. I do hope things improve.

I went back and glanced at some of your recent condos, noticing Spacey is on Metacam for arthritis. Also an a/b? Didnt see what the a/b was for...and as you know or Im sure someone has mentioned could be contributing to the icky tummy/liquid poo.

I also want to point out...if Spacey is drinking a lot, not eating, and vomiting (one or any of those) AND on metacam it is very important to get some labwork done ASAP. You want to make sure kidneys are okay. Latte was on metacam for a short time - almost three yrs ago- she had the same symptoms and ended up in Acute Renal Failure. She is still with me, but I had to act on it quickly. So please see if you can get into the the vet and rule out these symptoms as a result of the metacam.

I really hope you can have a peaceful day. Will be thinking of you.

3. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Am going to the vet tomorrow. Spacey is still drinking. That's good. And she hasn't have Metacam for a few day's now.
    I wont give it when she is not eating.
    One more night and then let's see what the vet can do for her.

4. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Also, you cant give an AB's to a cat on an empty stomach..Even if you feed HC treats before, even people need to eat before taking ab's--they are very upsetting to the stomach--Isnt there an Emergancy Vet place where you are?? You should take her as soon as possible!! If you can..

5. carolynandlatte

Im glad you are getting spacey to the vet! Im sure it will be a relief to you as well.

Its good you are not giving the metacam for the time being. However, if there has been an adverse reaction to it, the stopping of the drug may not make the reaction go away (like when you stop an a/b). That is why you are going to the vet and will hopefully have some lab work done. Make sure they do a renal panel.

What a/b is Spacey on?

Here is some information regarding Metacam/Adverse Reactions
    http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1752

Here is some other good info, likely on the concentration you use:
    http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Boehrin ... 40680.html

6. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

@ 7pm I did the routine pre test, cause you never know. That was extraordinary well, that's nice.
    After a couple of minutes she suddenly kind of woke up and got interested in food. Which we gave. She ate 3 times (tiny bites, but still more than yesterday or the day before) and hasn't puked so far.
    She also seems to have no more stomach ache. Is lying and sleeping and purring a bit.

Hubby and I decided to start with 1 IE tomorrow morning again, before the shed is totally empty. But only if she continues to eat.
    Just for better understanding:
    Normally she get's Metacam and since Wednesday also an Antibiotic (Baytril, 15 mg, 1 a day 2 pills).
    I didn't give either of those when she started to vomit. So no AB and no Metacam for the last couple of days.

I will call with the vet tomorrow and will figure out what to do. I'm certainly in no way start the AB again.
    I think I also will ask for another pain med for arthritis.
    Any of you any idea? Something like Bupri.....? Don't remember the name.
    I will also check whether testing should be done now. If possible I would avoid it for a while. The last couple of times at the vet have been very traumatic for Spacey. So if possible I would like her to gain some strength before bringing her in.

At the moment she is better. Way better. :D
    Send some more vines please. :D

7. carolynandlatte

Hi Ella! It's really great to hear spacey is having some interest in food! :mrgreen:
    That must be a relief!

Im unclear as to whether or not you were planning to keep the vet appt tomorrow. Unless Spacey is back to 100%, I would at least try to get in and have some labs done. Even if everything is fine it would be good to have baseline in case you decide you do want to continue using the metacam. The struggle and stress may be a lot, but the relief to know everything is okay may end up being worth it. And if things are not okay, then you can take action.

Make sure you talk to the dr about stopping the a/b. I didnt see what it was being used for, but you really want to keep on them until whatever infection is clear or it wont get better and/or return.

Im glad to hear you are reconsidering the metacam. Its possible your vet will not be super willing to prescribe something else, especially since you are outside the U.S. Just be prepared, educated, and stand by the best decision for Spacey (whatever that may end of being).

If eating continues to be a problem, you may want to discuss anti nausea and appetite stimulants with your vet as well.

I just hope things keep going in the positive direction you were seeing tonight! Sending Spacey lots of eating good, feeling good, and being healthy vines!

8. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Yay! I'm so glad he's eating!!! It can be so scary when they don't.

Keep it up, Spacey, keep that appetite growing. Don't scare the bean anymore! :RAHCAT

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I don't know what is available in Amsterdam for arthritis. Many people here use a combination of glucosamine and chondroiten. One product is Cosequin and others use Dasuqun or Adequan, which is an injectable glucosamine product. These may take longer to act but may be much safer than a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug.

10. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Ella, are you testing for ketones? Lack of food, infection, and lack of insulin can lead to DKA quickly, and I would not want you to go there. Please test for ketones ASAP if you're not already, trust me (I went from having what I thought was a healthy cat who just wasn't eating well, to a cat I thought was dead, in a matter of hours). It's really better to give some insulin than none in this situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.