Boomer, 1/2, AMPS=213, +4=47, +4.5=53 ADVICE?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Traci and Boomer, Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi Guys-
    The 47 freaked me out. I've not been posting here for the couple days because I didn't really need help. Then all of a sudden a 47. A gave him HCW and HC treats. He seems fine. Any thoughts?

2. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

you did just right, you've been paying attention. :)

Please test again in 30 minutes so we can see if he needs more food. Meanwhile I'll take a look at Boomer's SS.

3. Traci and Boomer

Libby, as I was adding the +5 to the ss I saw you viewing it. Funny. Anyway, he's only up 2 more points so I gave him some HC treats, as I know those are very helpful in raising his BG.
    What do I need to get him up to?

4. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

we just want to be sure he is past nadir before we slack off on testing too much. Boomer is fine, but sometimes the bobble around a little bit until they get to nadir. Getting him to the 60's would give us more breathing room. He is going to bounce at some point, but it would be lovely if he surfs in this range for a little while first. :)

5. Traci and Boomer

Can I leave for a hlf hour to go to the grocery store? I'm in a calm period of a snow storm and I have a chance to leave the house before it starts again. Am I okay to go?

6. Traci and Boomer

Re: Boomer, 1/2, AMPS=213, +4=47, +6.75=77

Hi -

I ended up going to the store and got some real bacon bits as Rebecca suggested. Wow, they are yummy! We both like 'em.

I'm going to need some assistance with tonight's dose given the fact that hegot so low today.

7. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

The 47 earned a reduction to 0.25u. :) Congratulations!

You may want to ditch any HC dry treats. HC wet is best to raise numbers and doesn't stay in the system for nearly as long.

8. Traci and Boomer

Hi Cassandra-

Wow! I cant believe he's getting a dose reduction after the last couple days...his numbers have been higher. But we'll take it!

What do you expect that we'll see now? Higher numbers? Do I start the dose reduction for tonight's shot?

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Great catch! Good luck with the new dose.

10. Traci and Boomer

Sienne-

Great catch? Does "catch" mean that I happened to test when he was at a 47? If so, yeah, thank God I was home for it. I still can't believe he got that low. Talk about unexpected.

11. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Numbers below 50 earn a dose reduction in newly diagnosed kitties (Dx less than 1 year) as per the Tilly Protocol that we follow. It does look like the new treats you were using caused those very high numbers, and as I said above, those can take a day or two to work out of the system. I would refrain from using them again. We can get them diet controlled, but it just that - diet controlled. HC treats and food can easily bring them out of remission (or regulation).

Out of curiosity, what is the pouched food that you are feeding?

It is impossible to predict if the reduction will hold, but if it doesn't we will let you know to increase back to this dose again. He may bounce from the 47 today, and that is not abnormal at all. If he is very high tonight you can shoot the 0.5u dose once more to help with rebound, but should switch to the new 0.25u dose after that.

12. Traci and Boomer

Thanks for the info. We'll do the dose reduction tonight and see how it goes!

The pouch food is Friskies poultry varieties: (these come in a box so even though the beef and chicken is 11 carbs I buy it because they aren't available in individual packets)
    chicken and gravy=9 carbs,
    turkey and giblets=10 carbs,
    beef and chicken=11 carbs.

13. Traci and Boomer

Re: Boomer, 1/2, AMPS=213, +4=47, +9=130

Just updating the condo. Not much to report :twisted:

14. Traci and Boomer

Re: Boomer, 1/2, PMPS=206 ADVICE?

Hi-

Is 206 high enough to give him .5 or should I just give him the reduced dose of .25? Thanks for your help. If I don't hear back within 10 minutes I'll give him the reduced dose.

15. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Hi Tracy,

Just wondering what you decided to do - I guess I want to learn from your experience!

Is Boomer eating the 9 carb food pouch regularly, or just occasionally?

Using a smilie because I can't help myself! :thumbup

16. Traci and Boomer

Hey! Haven't seen you recently. I gave him the new dose of .25 and we'll see how things go. It's harder to measure accurately and when you push the plunger in it barely moves, but I guess I'll get used to it.

Regarding food, he likes the 9 to 11 carb Friskies poultry food and I also give him a few other types that I think are close to 10 carbs. He's used to eating HC wet food with gravy and the Friskies pouches have gravy but they are lower carbs. The lowest carb foods are usually pate which he doesn't really like. I'm going to keep trying them though.

How's Kitty doing?

17. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Good luck with the reduced dose!!

We've gradually gotten Kitty used to the FF pate types at 3% carbs. We sprinkle freeze-dried chicken on it to increase his enthusiasn! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.