1/2 Alex AMPS HI,+2~417,+5.5~310

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA), Jan 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

Do you think I've given this does a fair shot without any R yet? I kinda thought that someone might comment to me on this as I was going along. I realize it's a holiday but I have seen you guys online and I'm getting real uncomfortable. Is it safe to say that 3.5 is not bringing Alex down enough on it's own?

I spoke to my vet about Buprinex and while he understands the value of it, he will not give it to me without ruling out the other possibilities first. He doesn't want Alex on pain meds before he actually knows for a fact that it's cystitis. His symptoms don't all point to that. Fair enough?

2. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Re: 1/2 Alex AMPS HI *Dosing Advisors Come In Please*!

Hi Caryl, I'm sorry that Alex is so high again. I have no experience with R and cannot make a recommendation. I really wish I could help. I don't know if anyone else is around this morning but you must do what you feel is best for Alex. If that means using R, then do it. And any newbies reading should understand that you know how R works for your kitty, I know you don't do this lightly. Best of luck!

3. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

I was told that I should try to give this new dose without any R so the dosing advisers could see how low it would bring Alex without any R. This is the 4th cycle and I am hanging in there as best as I can. I have a kitty who is ketone prone and knowing this I would hope that everyone would understand my concerns when I'm going on 2 days with numbers this high. I will ultimately make the best decision for Alex that I can think of...if no one from the dosing team comes around to condone my thoughts or to give another idea. And you are right, CD, I don't do anything that I do for Alex "lightly". I weigh every pro and con carefully.

Thanks for your input ♥

4. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Hi Caryl I'm sorry you are having such troubles. I can't really advise you what to do, but you need to go with what you feel comfortable doing. I myself have not personally (in a cat) used R but I understand it in theory enough that I would use if I needed to. I'm pretty brave anyway :shock: as long as someone is able to test alot and feels comfortable to handle anything that may come up I usually say go for it. I understand the reasons for wanting to see what the new Lantus dose will do, and it can take some time. In the meantime I see that sitting on higher numbers is also upsetting you and you want to do something about it. IMHO giving a TOR will not "disguise" the results of the Lantus dose, R is in and out so if given well before the expected Lantus nadir it's only effect will be that the Lantus will begin working from a lower onset number than it would have without R. I hope someone can give you some direction here, and I hope that you can get the other problems straigtened out too (peeing, wallet , etc. :evil: ) I'm sending you a bundle of patients and strengh to do whatever you need to do. Good luck!

5. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Caryl, you can go ahead and restart R today when you feel it is appropriate. I think you usually do +6. We're talking about what to do about your L dose too. Any ketones?

6. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Happy New Year, Libby! and Lucy!
    I haven't been able to get a ketone test yet today but hopefully soon. I don't think he has any because there isn't even a slight acetone odor as of yet but his +2 was 417 and I'm going to test now. How much R?

By the way, Alex's 48 hour culture shows "no growth" so far. Jaime is opposed to Buprinex as a regular diet if this is chronic cystitis, with all of Alex's other problems(ie, he doesn't see where a narcotic makes any sense with diabetes, a heart murmur, hyper thyroid,;etc. Once or twice ok...but on a daily basis)? Just an FYI because I was just there and because Alex's symptoms don't point to a normal cystitis either... :(

7. Libby and Lucy

Re: 1/2 Alex AMPS HI,+2~417

if he's still this high I would use 0.5 R, since it looks like you have given that before and been fine. If he has dropped significantly then you can adjust the R dose accordingly.

You can also increase your Lantus dose to 3.75 tonight.

8. Libby and Lucy

oh, and I'm not avoiding your questions about bupe, I don't know the answers but will try to research them. I don't think anyone was suggesting that you use it long term, but that you try it to see if pain relief helps his numbers for now and that will let us know if his numbers are caused by pain. Several people who have cats with chronic pancreatitis keep bupe on hand so if they notice symptoms of a flare, they can give a dose as soon as the symptoms appear to keep the flare from becoming as serious. Most likely that would be the intention of having bupe around, not to use it daily but to use it as needed. I personally have no experience with bupe, though.

9. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

I didn't think you were :)

It's so hard to tell with Alex because he cries/talks ALL of the time. Could be hungry. Could be amusing himself. Could be pissed at Jackson. Could be hurting. Cold be all of the above or none of the above. And like I said, his symptoms are not symptomatic of cystitis(his output of urine is huge unlike a cat with cystitis) which is why Jaime wants to wait until the culture is back. Plus he has that tiny stone in his kidney. He didn't say he wouldn't order the Buprinex, he's just ornery in general today(Jaime) because he is also helping me out with the lost/stolen wallet situation....

I'll probably give Alex R at +6 and raise his dose to 3.75 tonight. What a disappointment after how well he was doing less than a month ago on 2.50. Little Mister has something going on.

And just for the record and from now on in case anyone doubts this, I assure you that I knew and understood the reasons for you guys wanting to see how Alex responded to Lantus without the R, I was just getting nervous. No one needed to reiterate the "conditions" for the dosecrease to me...I'm a very smart girl.
    (This was said in a very nice way in case there is any question about it)

10. Wendi and Milo (GA)

Wendi and Milo (GA) Member

As far as the R, if it were me I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a BG that high, expecially if Alex is prone to ketones.

During Milo's last pancreatic flare-up we tried to get bupe from our vet, but it was not available here in Canada yet. We were advised to give it to him during his flare-ups and keep some on hand to be used a the first sign of another one. It will be available in a week and we are hoping to get some so we can use it when needed and hopefully keep his BG# down.

11. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Re: 1/2 Alex AMPS HI,+2~417,+5~341

Oh how cute that hat is :)
    thanks for responding Wendy. I will start the R again tonight. Hopefully my vet will order the Buprinex.

12. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Re: 1/2 Alex PMPS 348,+2~290,+4~147

3.75 Lantus .5R

dancing_cat

13. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Re: 1/2 Alex PMPS 348 +4~147 ,+6~59..LIBBY!!!!

finallllly :YMHUG: flip_cat party_cat

:dizcat :dizcat :dizcat

14. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Re: 1/2 Alex PMPS 348 +4~147 Libby Blooooooo

That blue sure does look refreshing on your SS tonight, doesn't it? Ahhhh, relief.
    I hope tomorrow is blue skies for you too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.