03/20 Shadow - PMPS 578 +3 378 +4 384

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by BradB, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradB

BradB Member

Hey guys,

Just moving over here from the main forum as suggested. Shadow just started on his Levemir yesterday and I moved him to an all wet food low carb diet.

His numbers still seem high, but it was mentioned that it may take a few days for the levemir to take effect. Link to spreadsheet is in my signature.

Looking forward to your comments/suggestions! Thanks!

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: 03/20 Shadow - AMPS 487

Hi Brad. It's good you're over here, because like the others have said there are a lot more people here and we are all on Lantus and Levemir, so know those insulins best.
    Welcome to what we call Lantus Land :cool: A place I'm sure you never wanted to be, but you'll get good advice here.

I just happened to take the day off of work, so I am here today, but most days, I will not be around at your AMPS and PMPS. I saw that Shadow had what looks like a decent response to Levemir the first day. From 600 to 396 at +4. That is a 200 point drop. I know with my kitty J.D., his onset (when the insulin starts to decrease numbers) is about +4, and his nadir (the lowest point in the numbers) is about +8 to +9. Once, you've been testing more and gathering more data, and Shadow has built up a depot of the insulin, we can determine more where Shadow's onset and nadir are, and help you to know when to test.

That's all I have to say, for right now. Glad you made it over to this forum.

Here's the link to your post from the Main Health forum: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=66165

3. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Here is Shadow's condo from Health over the last few days:

Shadow's Health Condo

We're going to watch what he does today, Brad, and see if we want to up the dose tonight or tomorrow so we're very glad to have you here. As you get his numbers, could you please post in the subject line?

In order to do that, just reopen the FIRST post of the day, click "edit" and then add the numbers so it might look like this (numbers are made up except AMPS):

3/20 Shadow AMPS 487 +4 326 +6 299

Then hit "submit". You can only change the subject line by going back to the FIRST post of the day. We do only one condo per day and all the info should be in that condo...any questions you have, etc. When you start the evening numbers, then go back to the FIRST post of the day, click "edit", take out all the AM cycle info and start over with the PMPS and add that info.

Paws crossed the lev starts working it's magic soon. And....do you have him off all dry food now?

4. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Oh, and good job getting the spreadsheet up and linked to your signature.
    Has Shadow been transitioned now to an all wet diet? You'll have to throw away any crunchy cat treats. We use 100% all meat treats, now. I buy freeze dried salmon, and freeze dried chicken for treats, and also give bonito flakes, and other all meat human food (with no spices) like chicken, steak, and shrimp.

I would start today, with a +4 test.

Read the stickies at the top of this page, when you have a chance. It's a lot of information, so I would do some now, and some later. Ask all the questions you have.

5. BradB

BradB Member

thanks for stopping by :smile:

Alright sounds good to me! Hopefully his numbers drop in a few hours just to see that it's having some effect. But yes, I will edit the subject as the numbers come in.

Yes he is completely off dry food now and I'm heading to walmart today to get more wet food before I run out.

6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

You'll want to keep a few cans of higher carb food on hand (the ones that say "with Gravy") for just in case purposes, when we need to steer his numbers. I keep my high carb food in the pantry in my Hypo Toolbox away from the normal low carb food that I keep in a cupboard.

Any luck with the ketone testing?

7. BradB

BradB Member

I have some of this Whiskas food in my pantry in case he ever gets hypo.

I havent had any luck with the ketone testing, it's hard to catch him going! I sat in the garage for about 20 minutes waiting for him to go but no such luck. He pees quite a bit and fills up the litterbox quickly I'm just not having any luck catching him in the act. :sad:

And to confirm, I should first test him at +4 today?

8. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Yes, or you could start at +3, if you're anxious. I would try to get a +4 too, depending upon the +3.

I can only find the Whiskas pouches on this chart http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodOld.html and it says they are 13% carbs. We call low carb under 10% (most of us feed closer to 5% and under) and would probably call 13% a medium carb food. I would suggest getting a few cans of the Fancy Feast Grilled varieties of whatever flavor you think Shadow would like most. They are mostly 18% carbs and are listed on this chart: http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodOld.html

Happy shopping.

9. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

hey brad! glad you found us, glad you made it through the night - WAY glad that this morning shadow's starting at 487 instead of HI!

what i've done with punkin to get a ketone test - i have a second litter box that's got lentils in it (equivalent to your aquarium rocks). after punkin has a meal, i shut him in the laundry room - he's a can't-resist-a-clean-box guy - and stand by him and wait. there's nothing to do in there except pee in the box, so it's been pretty easy to check him.

have a great day!

10. BradB

BradB Member

Hey guys. I don't think I will be here to get a reading at +4, but I will get one in 10 minutes for a +3, and try getting one when I get home which might be a +4.5.

I will have to try the second litterbox trick! Sounds like a good idea. I'll let you all know how the testing goes.

Edit: I'm getting a little better at getting the blood! He didn't fuss as much this time and it was a breeze. He came back at 479 :(

I'm going to give him half a can of food now too, mixed with some water.

11. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: 03/20 Shadow - AMPS 487 +3 479

That's fine. The 487 and the 479 are pretty much the same number, given the 20% meter variance.
    You can get a +4.5 or a +5, since the +3 didn't move a whole lot.
    See you then.

12. BradB

BradB Member

Re: 03/20 Shadow - AMPS 487 +3 479

Yay! Just tested him at +5 and he is 345. Atleast he is not in the 400s. I'll update the spreadsheet and title now.

13. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

Re: 03/20 Shadow - AMPS 487 +3 479 +5 345

Hi Brad,

Just wanted to say welcome to Lantus Land and I'm glad to see Shadow is moving in the right direction!

Melanie & Racci

14. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Good job!
    How about a test at +7?

15. BradB

BradB Member

I just tested him again at +7 and he was 414. I gave him half a small can of fancy feast classic chicken with his last reading.

16. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: 03/20 Shadow - AMPS 487 +3 479 +5 345 +7 414

Is he eating his new all canned diet well?
    You want to remember not to feed from +10 on, so that the food doesn't affect the Pre Shot test number.
    So, he can have another meal, but bring the food up at 7:00am and 7:00pm.
    How is Shadow feeling and acting? He will feel better, once we get his numbers down.

17. BradB

BradB Member

Yeah he LOVES the wet food and always comes and gets me when he's hungry. He never got wet food before he was diagnosed but has really taken a liking to it. I will be sure not to feed him after +10.
    He is acting better today and not being so lazy. He has came to see me a few times and rubbed up against me. He seems like he may be feeling a little better. I noticed his box didn't have any wet spots on it! Usually there are wet spots in it the day after I clean it, but nothing as of now and it's been 24 hours.

18. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Brad and Shadow, Just dropping by to welcome you to Lantus Land. It sounds like you are doing fine and getting it all sorted out. When in doubt, ask questions!

Ella & Rusty

19. BradB

BradB Member

Thank you! I do my best to ask questions and try staying informed.

I just tested him again at +9 and he was 438.

20. BradB

BradB Member

Re: 03/20 Shadow - AMPS 487 +3 479 +5 345 +7 414 +9 438

Tested again at +10 and he was 468.

21. Marje and Gracie

Re: 03/20 Shadow - AMPS 487 +3 479 +5 345 +7 414 +9 438 +10

Thanks, Brad. We're going to take a look at his SS. One of us will be back before your shot time.

22. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

really nice curve today. we just need to bring the overall down a few hundred points and it will be perfect! ;-) i'm so happy to see any curve on 1 unit, since you were giving him 7units before.

this is awesome.

btw, i just keep my "lentil" box in the garage and pull it out when i want to test. that spare box is made from a box lid (case of copy paper lid) slipped into a garbage bag and the litter is put on top of the bag. the bag makes it waterproof.

23. Marje and Gracie

Sorry for the delay, Brad. The board was down and I couldn't post.

So we want you to hold this dose for now and also in the morning. Let's see what he can do. Have a great night and I would try and grab a +4/+5 to see if he onsets about then. IF you are awake, you can also try a +7 but it's not necessary unless he starts down at +4 or +5. You dont have to test at both times....just whichever one you are up for.

24. BradB

BradB Member

Re: 03/20 Shadow - PMPS 578

Hey guys!

Glad you guys are happy with the results. I like how the numbers were somewhat consistent and only gradually rose. Seems like a very nice insulin once we get the right dose!

Im happy to see progress with 1 unit as well since he was on 7 before. I tested him PMPS and he was 578. I updated the spreadsheet and thread.

Thanks!

25. Marje and Gracie

Thanks Brad. Lev is great for keeping kitties flatter. Just wait till it really kicks in!

26. BradB

BradB Member

He doesn't seem to be feeling very well after his shot. He hopped in my bed with me while we were watching TV and slept for about 45 minutes and then hopped down. About 20 mins later I got up and saw him laying on the floor, it looked like he was dead! So that made my heart jump probably scared him when I woke him up. He just seems kind of lazy now and is just laying down. I will test him at +4 and see how he's doing.

27. BradB

BradB Member

Re: 03/20 Shadow - PMPS 578 +3 378

Just tested him at +3 and he is 378. Will test again at +4.

28. BradB

BradB Member

Tested again at +4 and he came back at 384.

I may be able to get another test in at +5, but I will not be able to get one any later than that as I am getting pretty sleepy...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.