1/20 Weezer AMPS 228, +4 239, +10 207, PMPS 294

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Linda for Weezer, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda for Weezer

Linda for Weezer Well-Known Member

All is well in Weezer World.

Prayers for any in need of healing, strength and comfort today.

Yesterday’s Condo

Recap of yesterday
    AMPS 329
    +4 300
    +6 292
    PMPS 311
    +3 252
    +4 227
    +8 217

Last night’s cycle was the best Weezer has had in two weeks. I added columns to our SS that calculate the average for each cycle and each day and have found this information quite informative. The average for last night’s cycle was 252 and for the day as a whole was 279. This morning I’m adding another .25 to her dose to bring us to 14 units. That spreads the .5 dose increase over 2 days. This morning she is coming in at 228, a good starting place for her. What can you make of that Weezer?

Wishing a kitty day for all, plenty of purrs, play, sunny spots and lots of love.

2. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Re: 1/20 Weezer AMPS 228

Lookit that AMPS...and gorgeous cycle last night. You go, Weezer!

It looks like your plan of doing smaller increases more frequently is working out very well. Awesome job of "knowing thy cat"!!

Have a wonderful day!

3. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Look at those AMPS for Weezer today! Yay! I see some blues in your future, I hope. You are doing a great job with the increases Linda. Have a great day!!

4. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Yippee! Way to work that juice, Weezer. Have a good day, Linda.
    Liz

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Good start for Weezer's day. Some blue would be lovely.

6. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

What a great start for Weezer. Just a little dip Weeze and you will be in the BLUES!

7. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Linda, very interesting with the averages for the days. Weezer is looking really good and good luck with this next increase. Have a great day.

8. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

WeeWeezer - oh jus' LUK at U!! U iz bootiful! Ur numbrz are prette tu....

Linda! She REALLY realized that the stuff you're shootin' her isn't water? BEAUTIFUL numbers! I can't imagine giving KT 14 units each time.

BIG HUG!

9. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

hi linda! just checking in to see how weezer's doing today. really nice amps!

regarding getting more exercise - i read that someone who had a very obese inactive cat took to moving the food dish around the house just to get the cat to start moving. i have taken punkin out on a leash - it's such an interesting adventure because he slinks along next to and under things. dogs are easier to walk, but you really see what a cat how a cat thinks when you walk them.

10. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

:D :D Downright awesome!!!! Go Weezer - I bet you see some blues today. Good luck with the new dose. it is really nice to see these yellows.

I like the averages that you do. It is informative. Might have to add that on Mannie's.

11. Melissa and Bailey

Melissa and Bailey Well-Known Member

Re: 1/20 Weezer AMPS 228, +4 239

Lookin' good Miss Weezer, keep it up! You guys are doing great!

My Harley likes to go out on a leash - the other two just drop to the ground and thrash about when you put the harness on them :lol:

12. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

Weezer's trying really hard to stay right where he's at. A low flat yellow day is actually pretty awesome for him, isn't it?!!

13. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Nice sunny yellow in this condo today. :D

Linda, have you ever tested her urine glucose, to try and get an idea where her renal threshold may be?

14. Linda for Weezer

I test for ketones pretty regularly and the strip catches glucose too. She's never been low enough to find her renal threshold. It always comes in at the highest end of the strip. :sad:

15. Linda for Weezer

Re: 1/20 Weezer AMPS 228, +4 239, +10 207!!

She's been yellow all day!!

16. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Re: 1/20 Weezer AMPS 228, +4 239, +10 207!!

LOVING YOUR NUMBERS, WEEZER!!!!!

Binks first reaction to his leash was quite like this...

[​IMG]

17. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

nice day for Weezer. :smile:

I've been studying Weezer's SS tonight, and I want to throw something out there. I know you changed the way you were doing increases to try to avoid NDW. I actually don't think those high numbers *are* NDW. I think Weezer is bouncing off of low yellows. Some of the bounces are delayed by a cycle or two, but some cats like to do it that way. :roll:

Sandy has a good point. Weezer has been sitting above renal threshhold for quite a while. It would be beneficial to work on getting her numbers down more quickly. Ideally she would be running at least in blue 24/7. There are a couple of ways to do that. One is to keep doing Lantus increases but get more aggressive about them. I don't think I would go to 1u increases since she is getting some lower yellow and some bouncing, but I would probably go with 0.5u increases more often. I'm not sure the 0.25 increases are actually helping. The other option is to hold the Lantus doses longer but use more R to pull the numbers down.

With IAA in the picture too, R might be a good way to go. The thing to keep in mind as your Lantus dose goes up is that you're building a pretty big shed. If/when the IAA clears, Weezer may suddenly need a LOT less insulin. You could all of a sudden find her over dose, and even if you reduce her dose drastically, you could find yourself fighting the shed for several days. R has no shed, so by keeping the Lantus dose a bit lower and covering with R, you're in a safer situation if one day you wake up and she is 100 at AMPS, or if she decides not to eat or something.

Sandy is a great person to help with getting more strategic with R, if you want help with that. I have used it some, but Sandy used it very successfully with BK. She definitely understands the impact of Lantus and R with IAA and a large shed.

Finally, I can't remember if I ever gave you a link to this post of mine with some thoughts and spreadsheets. I don't happen to believe that green is automatically bad for all acros, as long as you know your cat and work your way into your dosing decisions in a logical way. There are some spreadsheets linked in that post that might help you a lot. As far as I can remember, I don't think any of those cats had IAA too, but most of them ran their cats in lower numbers and most of them used R at least some of the time.

Thoughts? Let's talk about this tomorrow (I'm heading to bed now).

18. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

hi linda!

exciting friday night at my house contemplating feline diabetes. i've read sandy's & libby's posts to you and have been thinking about punkin's numbers. i'm going to try to push him down farther and aim for the 50-100 zone again. take a look at these spreadsheets below. you met Bev/Gus a while ago, and even though you don't know Lauren/Tommy, i think Tommy's ss is well worth studying. i've been looking at both of these recently.

Gus
    Tommy

both Bev/gus and Lauren/tommy were diagnosed with acro within a couple of weeks of punkin in may/june 2011. Bev & Lauren haven't hesitated to let their cats regularly get under 100, just like we all did pre-diagnosis. both cats have had their doses kept down under 15 units, and i'm wondering if it's because they were more aggressive in managing their numbers. i've been hesitant to do that. Both also used R regularly. i never have.

i've also been looking around to see if i could find any example of an acro cat that couldn't be brought up with high carbs - and i can't find any. i think the bigger the dose the more high carbs it took, but you know i've been skeptical of that idea all along that an acro cat's pancreas will prevent them from being able to be brought up by high carbs. at his highest dose i gave punkin 1/2 can or so of high carb food - or more. who cares? he was happy whatever amount i gave him. he always responded just like he did before the diagnosis.

tonight i was re-reading the study that resulted in the Rand/Roomp protocol and the part about the beta cells sorta made me pause. i'm thinking by allowing punkin to stay in higher numbers, by being afraid of him getting low and not being able to be brought up, i may be unwittingly allowing his organs to be damaged.

you're not aiming for OTJ, but i'm sure you do want to keep weezer on as low a dose as possible with her organs as healthy as possible through it all.

anyway, i just wanted to tell you we're changing our game plan. the cats that were with punkin in the beginning have regularly gone below 100, been brought up with high carbs just like pre-diagnosis, thrived, didn't have the SRT, and in many ways they have done better than punkin. i thought i was giving you sound advice before, but i think i heard the "acros can't go into greens" too much and despite looking for proof that is true, i can't find an example of a single cat. i hope i haven't led you wrong, but you are still early on this path with weezer and hopefully no harm has been done.

:YMHUG:

19. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

hi linda. sorry for bumping up yesterday's condo, but i wanted to stop by to throw my 2 cents in... for whatever that's worth.
    i agree with libby's assessment and observations. i'm seeing the the same as libby when studying weezer's ss. i've also been concerned about weezer spending too much time in numbers over the renal threshold. being a bit more aggressive will also help break through any glucose toxicity that has set in. i'm sure sandy will be more than happy to give you a hand with using R if you wish to incorporate it in weezer's care.
    i know. lots to think about...

hope you have a good day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.