12/31 Esse PMPS+11=115, AMPS=141

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Michele and Esse, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

O.K., so I'm a bit worried now.

She, apparently, is not worried. She's not hiding, she seems just fine. But she is at 115. Berakfast isn't until 7, and she's been known to dip before shot time. I don't think I've seen a number this low at this time ever. I can promise she went lower last night, but I don't know how low. I will know in an hour if she's dropping, or if she's rising.

I will need some dosing advice about her am shot, please. I have my hypo kit ready, but would like breakfast feeding advice, too. Should I mix some high carb in with the Wellness? Or just give the Wellness and see what happens in an hour?

I can stay home for a long while this morning, but will have to run to the pharmacy to get new strips (I only have 5 left). She is showing no signs of distress at all. She's currently avoiding the sneak attacks by the baby, as a matter of fact.

I'm worried...help, please?

Best-
    Michele

2. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 12/31 Esse PMPS+11=115

Michele...first thing...
    DON'T worry...second thing.....
    take a deep breath!
    K?
    Now retest her and report the number....dosing advisers will be along...just hang in there....
    as it is, the 115 is nothing to be alarmed at...so relax a bit. Okay? :D

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 12/31 Esse PMPS+11=115 Eyes please...

Any chance of doing the pharmacy run now since you've got around an hour before shot time?

A lot can happen between now and AMPS. If Esse's numbers are still low, do notfeed, and re-test in 15 min.

4. Heather and Jasper

Heather and Jasper Member

Lets see where she is at +12 and post the number. IF there is a decent rise it should be safe to shoot.

5. Michele and Esse

It's 20 minutes to test time. No time to get to the pharmacy and back in time for shots and breakfast at 7. I will go right after, though...shouldn't take much longer than 30 minutes all the way through, so...that can be done.

She's at 134 now. We're rising...

Pat, I'm breathing. Or trying to, at least. I swear, I sat there and stared at the 115 for a while...even turned the meter upside down (it read 511...LOL), and back over, just in case sleepy eyes were reading it wrong.

Lemme test, and I'll be back.

Best-
    Michele

6. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

great that she is on the rise....
    glad you are taking calming breaths too! :lol:

This is such good practice for you......but she will throw you some greens soon...I mean one of these days....
    Nice going! (and get those back up strips.... :mrgreen: )
    Maybe, you will learn to feel really uncomfortable when you only have half a box...uh...
    at least that's what happened to me.....you wouldn't want to be caught in the WEE hours of the morning without lots of strips....
    I know it's hard, but it's one item that we need to have on hand...

You're doing great! :D

7. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Re: 12/31 Esse PMPS+11=115, +11.75=134 Eyes please...

We were so used to pinks and yellows, that when we first saw all the blues and greens we thought "Oh no!" But now I see Basil is good when he is low at PS time. Although I confess to still popping an eye open in the middle of the night and wondering....

8. Michele and Esse

Re: 12/31 Esse PMPS+11=115, +11.75=134 Eyes please...

Lydia, I think that's it exactly. I'm so used to seeing pinks at shot time, and sometimes yellow, that bloo frightens me. Doesn't panic me like it did the first few times I've seen it, but it sure does make my eyes open wide and I take a moment to read out loud the numbers. LOL. She's not worried at all...

And yes, I was going to go get strips yesterday; shame on me for being caught low. I just stayed home because of the rain, and lounged around (for the first time since school let out), and didn't get any errands run (didn't even get out of my jammies). It won't happen again. BTW, Pat, my pharm is 24 hours, but that's no excuse... :oops:

I'll test in 5 minutes, and we can go from there. Do I shoot the whole dose, part of the dose, none of the dose, skinny dose? Like I said, I can be home for the whole day today (I can ride tomorrow-Sun), or not, as the case may be.

And I'm thinking she's coming up from a much lower number over night...

Best-
    Michele

9. Michele and Esse

Re: 12/31 Esse PMPS+11=115, +11.75=134 +12=132 Eyes please...

O.K., shot time...she's 132, down from 15 minutes ago by 2, and up from +11 by 17.

Advice?

Best-
    Michele

10. Heather and Jasper

134 and 132 are the same number. The important thing is she is up from +11's 115. I would shoot the full dose, feed, go get more strips and get a +1.

11. Michele and Esse

Full dose?? really? Oy gevalt. I've got to go find my balls of steel...

O.k., here's the plan. Find BOS. Feed Wellness, shoot full dose, buy strips and some more cat food, come home and test in 1 hour. Have hypo stuff on counter. Brew really strong coffee.

Sound like a good plan? Now, where did I leave those shiney things?? I hope I didn't leave them at the barn... :mrgreen:

Best-
    Michele

12. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

You forgot the tranquilizers!! Really though, Breathe. Breathe.Breathe...It will be alright--YOU ARE IN CONTROL--You have the food, the strips. the HC foods, and those BOS!!! We are here! No worries ;)

13. Heather and Jasper

Remember that Lantus is more gentle then other insulins, and that we work up to the dose in a safe way. Also, you are not shooting the number she's at now, but the number she will be at in 2-3 hours when the insulin starts working.

You are home, you will have test strips and hc on hand. If she goes under 50 (not a hypo number!) then she earns a decrease.

In the 2 years that I have been on the Lantus board, I have never seen a clinical hypo on lantus. Cats may have lower numbers, but with food you are always in control! (My cat was +3 38 today and a few bites of LC food brought him right up.)

14. Michele and Esse

Re: 12/31 Esse PMPS+11=115, +11.75=134 +12=141 Eyes please...

+12=141.

She is not interested in food. I'm not going to shoot unless she has something in her belly. I'm heading to the pharm right now, and will post when I get back. The shot will be late, but I can't help it - I don't want to put 2.5 U onto an empty belly at this number, you know?

Back in a few minutes...

Best-
    Michele

15. Michele and Esse

AMPS:141 Got her to eat something, so gave 2.5U. (YIKES!!!)...she's late on her shot, but still...I wasn't going to shoot without having something in her belly.

Will test again in one hour.

Best-
    Michele

16. Michele and Esse

Re: 12/31 AMPS=141 +1=187

+1=187

Will check in an hour...this is likely a food spike, if it doesn't last too long. It's either that, or her liver panicked...

Best-
    Michele

17. Michele and Esse

Re: 12/31 Esse PMPS+11=115, AMPS=141 +2=234

O.K., I've stopped panicking, even though I shot the full dose. She's laying in the cat bowl at the heater, and I think I can leave off testing for a few hours...

Is this full moon wonkiness or is this new dose wonkiness, or medication wonkiness, or a combination of all three? LOL...I'm wondering...

Best-
    Michele

18. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Re: 12/31 Esse PMPS+11=115, AMPS=141 +2=234

Good - this dose is starting to work! :)

Probably going to see a typical bounce from this, because the blue was pretty low for her. I would still get a +4 or +5 to see what is happening.

With Lantus, you do not need to have food on board in order to shoot. You have a couple of hours after the shot to get food in them. There are quite a few people here that do not feed at shot times every single cycle.

We work up to these doses in a very calculated way, so you can shoot pretty much any number with the full dose once you have determined that there is a rise (or a surf in progress). I say pretty much any number, but the comfort level depends on the bean and the bean's experience in shooting low. Usually we try and break into shooting green slowly, but it becomes second nature for many once they start doing it. Sasha quite often has preshots in the 50's and 60's which I shoot without hesitation. You'll get there. We just need to drill the Lantus/Lev mantra into you a little more - shoot low to stay low. ;)

19. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

Michele: BREATH. She is okay. Tuffy loves to go to 20s. She responds well to LC. You will adjust, to everything, Cassandra said. Remember support is a mouse click away and you do know what to do. Nice AMPS for Esse. Hope she continues to surf nicely with only a small trip to RBC.

20. Michele and Esse

It's so weird. I know these are good numbers...but they scare me. Isn't that bizarre?? LOL...

I mean, this is what we want, right? So how come they scare me so badly? In a person, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot low...but I guess that's because they can tell me if things are starting to get wonky; Esse can't.

Well, so far, so good...we'll see how it turns out today.

And Barbara, thanks for the reminder...breathing is a good thing...and so is remembering that help is a mouse-click away. you guys rock (and thanks for the email...I'll watch this afternoon...)

Best-
    Michele

21. Cassandra and Sasha

They scare you more because you used another insulin before this, and not just any insulin, but a very harsh, fast dropping hypo inducing insulin. Once we can rid you of that mindset and the further you get from Esse's hypo episodes on that insulin then the easier it will become. :)

The longer you work with Lantus and the more spreadsheets of other kitties you read, the more you will see that shooting low and not worrying about it is possible. (at least that's what helped me)

22. Michele and Esse

Re: 12/31 Esse PMPS+11=115, AMPS=141 +3=255

I think you're right, Cassandra. I was thinking I was seeing a massive drop happening when I got the 115 this morning; and anything under 150 with that insulin scared the hooozis from me, you know? I think you're right - that the further in time I get, and the more used to the whole Lantus concept, the better I'll be when she's at a good number, and not think the sky is falling...

I have been, and will continue to, look at others' spreadsheets to see the success there...and I will learn to get more comfortable with everything. I hope. LOL.

WCR: Sleeping in the bowl by the heater; caught her grooming, haven't seen her use the box yet, and I got a purr from her. So she's not having a bad day.

I'll ride tomorrow; today, I'll just stay and hang out with the kitties. At this number, I'm going to give her a bit of a break, and not test for a while...I think she'll appreciate it, you know?

Best-
    Michele

23. Michele and Esse

AMPS+6=361

Ahem...so now we're spiking. AMPS+6=361. Which means she went really low last night. Which means she's responding to the new dose. Which also means I'm going to have to set several alarms tonight so that I can get some numbers.

At least I'm not panicking...

Best-
    Michele

24. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Hi Michele. Happy New Year to you, and all your furries creatures.
    I'm just stopping in for support...and to say "Hi" :D

25. Cassandra and Sasha

Re: AMPS+6=361

Given the way the first half of the cycle went last night, I would honestly doubt she went much lower than the 115 you saw this AM. To her, at this point, that is low. In the big scheme of things, that is not low - it is just within the 50/60 to 120 range that we aim for. But right now, a low 100 will set off a big bounce for her, because she rarely sees blue.

Of course there is no way to know where she went exactly without seeing it, so I'm just speculating given the first half of the cycle.

No panic necessary. Promise. :)

26. Michele and Esse

hi, Dyana...thanks so much for stopping by...

Cassandra, promise no panic needed?? I suppose it was a good thing that she was at 115, but it both startled and scared me. I've seen her go from mid3's to 60, but it's not usual for her at all to be this low...

I do have to get to the barn tomorrow - there's a New Year's Ride that I don't want to miss; but if I need to stay home, I will. Currently, she's just hanging out...

Best-
    Michele

27. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

wow you've had an exciting day....

this BG of 115... do you mean AMPS +11 BG 115 correct?

you're still in the AMPS cycle and an hour from +12 evening shot time, just checking....oh boy more excitement :)

28. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

what a nice surprise this morning! Ok, a little scary, but see, everything was fine. :)

Cassandra is right, I bet she didn't go much, if any, lower than the 115, her liver just decided to bounce from blue because it isn't used to blue. And now you know that Mr. Liver works just fine to protect her if she ever does need protecting. Good job!

29. Michele and Esse

No, Ronnie, the 115 was done at 6 am this morning. She's been rising steadily since.

I'm actually two hours from shot time, and she's 412. So I figure Libby's right - her liver kicked in when it needed to, and voila, she's got enough sugar for everything possible under the sun. She's also pretty sluggish, too...but I figure that's from the rollercoaster she's been on.

Best-
    Michele

30. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

She is doing well & you are doing a great job--Remember our mantra-You are in control-You are in control--You have strips, you have food, you have HC food, you will feed her if she gets too low, you are in control...I know it's so hard in the beginning, but it does get easier, & then you'll be upset if she's not in the nice low numbers.. :lol:
    Really hoping you have a wonderful New Year, and Esse will be well & happy--& her momma bean will be calm again once more--Hugs from Us~!
    I'll be on later tonite because we are dirty stay homes this year!!

31. Michele and Esse

I'm a stay home, too...not willing to be on the streets when most folks are drinking, and when there's a full moon. Those two combined...well, I just wanna stay in where it's warm and cuddle kitties.

She's at 386. So she's peaked and is dropping now. I will be doing her full dose of 2.5. I don't think I'm doing such a great job...but I am prepared for whatever comes, I suppose. Esse is in a decent mood right now, too...

And I wish for everyone a calm, peaceful, productive and fruitful New Year...

Best-
    Michele

32. Michele and Esse

PMPS: 390. Shot 2.5U.

WCR: hungry, resting and relaxing by the heater vent. Purred during brushing, and is just herself.

I've also switched up the times I'm giving the abx - instead of at the same time as her insulin (and dinner), I'm doing it about an hour later; that way, even though they're eardrops, the taste doesn't stop her appetite, and she'll eat.

I will get a few more tests tonight, but as long as she stays in the threes, I think I'll be alright sleeping through...and I'll get her PMPS +10, 11 or so.

And I promise to try really hard to not panic if she's under 200 tomorrow morning. ROFL....I've got to learn. Shoot, the next time I'm waffling about should I shoot or not, someone point out that I shot the full dose at 141...and to suck it up, cupcake... :mrgreen:

Best, and Happy New Year to all -
    Michele

33. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

Don't beat yourself up over it. You will get there. We all do. First few times are the hardest. Hope she comes down soon and slowly. Drama not necessary. Happy New Year.

34. Michele and Esse

Thanks, Barbara...she's not coming down anytime soon...PMPS+1=400, +2=408. We'll see how she is in the morning, on the bright fresh New Year's Day...

Still and all, she's quite content right now. Laying in the bowl next to me, holding my hand (she puts her paws around my hand, and then lays her head on it...) when I don't need it to type, and is just being the blessed sweet Esse that I know and love. She's not even hiding from the ear meds, either...just letting me do them, and then love on her afterwards.

And with that, I'm heading to bed. I'm an old fogie; I can't even stay up and bring in the New Year...'course, I'll be riding in the morning, and if the big arena's available, jumping...so I should get my rest so I can stay aboard the Mighty Steed tomorrow.

Happy New Years, everyone...may the New Year be all that you've wanted and more.

Best-
    Michele

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.