12/31 Scruffy Update (good) BGL = 108, pm=92

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Teela Brown, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teela Brown

Teela Brown Member

Well Scruffy is back home and recovering from his dental surgery. He ended out getting a lot of work done. His poor little mouth was pretty bad.

My vet warned that his BGL are going to be high for a couple days, but should likely come back down on its own - so to not jump at insulin prematurely. He seems to want to eat again, so will test him in a little bit.

I have to try and give him antibiotics. ARG it is hard enough when he is not in pain :( I tried hiding it in his food. Pfff should have known better.

All in all he seems to be in a pretty good mood today. I am not sure how I would know if he is in pain or not though. I am holding off on the pain meds for a little bit. It is a med most tend to frown on so I am only going to use it if I have to.

All for now. I am trying to get my signature up and running with the spreadsheet. Of course there is no data from the last two days: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... utput=html

2. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Re: 12/31 Scruffy Update (good)

Glad to hear he's home and feeling pretty good. Did he have extractions? I think that is usually painful.

3. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Teela,
    You could ask for some bup as a pain med instead. Then you wont have to worry so much about it and keep scruffy comfortable. No judgement here, but with a cat who fell victim to metacam, I would only encourage it as a last resort. There are alternatives and the vet is open today, right?

Im glad scruffy made it through okay. I hope the full moon and happy new year treats you and yours well!

4. Teela Brown

Teela Brown Member

You name it, he had it. 4 Extractions, 2 abscesses, and little tiny left over roots that needed to be removed. :(

5. Bo & Jake

Bo & Jake Well-Known Member

hello Teela!
    I did't know that Scruffy had Dental. who did it? Did You get a new vet,local or our vet friend?
    Glad that Scruffy is OK and hes gonna feel much better in couple days. I would give him a pain killers. When jake's dental was done he get pain patch to last 5 days (so no trouble with pills)
    All the best in New 20010 year!

6. Teela Brown

Teela Brown Member

I ended out bringing him to my friend in London. So there was a lot of driving the last two days!

Oh man, I wish Scruff had been given a pain patch!

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Teela:

If there is any way you can get hold of buprenex, please do so. You can administer it orally (it's a liquid that goes into the cheek pocket) or it can be injected just like you give insulin. Given the amount of work done in Scruffy's mouth, get it as an injection -- no chance of banging into the stitches.

Cats do not show pain like we do. Dental pain is significant. Think about how your mouth would feel if you needed 4 teeth removed, had absesses, and had to have your gums dug into to remove the roots. I would crawl into bed and not get out for several days and lie there groaning the entire time. Gabby had one extraction and I gave pain meds. A regular cleaning in a cat is like a periodontal deep scaling. At best, it's uncomfortable for a day or two and that's only if you have a high threshold for pain. Scruffy's mouth hurts. The pain is likely to drive his BG up so why allow him to be in pain?

My vet routinely gives pain meds for extractions. A vet would not dispense these meds if they were unnecessary.

8. Teela Brown

Teela Brown Member

You are right. Ok gave him the meds. He really did not like it.
    My poor little guy. I hope it kicks in soon.

9. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Scruffy had quite a time of it, eh? Glad all that work was done though...
    Hope he has a speedy recovery and wonderful BGs after this all settles down....
    Happy New Year to you!!!

10. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Ugh, poor Scruffy! He must be feeling pretty bad right now - I know if I had all that work done on my teeth, I would be gobbling up pain meds hand over fist! An abscess sucks big time!

I am sure it is a relief to have it all done now, and once everything settles down, Scruffy will be a brand new happy cat! No more dental pains!

Let's hope that pain med kicks in soon and he gets some relief.
    I do bet he's glad to be home again though, and smothering with tons of attention and coddling may help speed him along to a full recovery.

11. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Moonie had 4 extractions on 11/18, and a hanging root in there--I got the buprenex & gave it to her for the whole 4 days..Last year she had dental & had 5 extractions & had metcam for 2 days-- I you can get the Buprenex I would--It didnt seem to affect her at all & she got better quickly...Hope Scruffy gets well soon.--Ask vet to call in a prescription for you at your local drugstore--Paws & fingers crossed for quick recovery--Happy New Year!!

12. Teela Brown

Teela Brown Member

Re: 12/31 Scruffy Update (good) BGL = 108 :)

I am very happy and excited to tell you that Scruffy's current BGL is a 108 (6). Fingers crossed that it doesnt head back up again.

I emailed my vet to see if he will phone in a prescription of Bup.

Does anyone know of an injectable antibiotic? Or any recommendations on how to get that down?

13. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

SCRUFFY!! Aw poor little guy! ((big hugs)) to Scruffy and ((Teela))

Hope u have a speedy recovery with Scruffy and all the best in the new year!

14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If you're calling the vet about the Bupe, check on the AB situation. Gabby is pretty easy to pill but I think if she'd had the kind of dental work that Scruffy did, I'd be looking for a kind you can inject. Just do not get Convenia. This antibiotic has a 2-week active period and if Scruffy has a reaction, you have no options since it will be in his system for 2-weeks. It is supposed to be used for skin conditions and I don't know if an abscess would fall into that category. (Jojo has typically advised against the use of Convenia because of it's length of action.)

15. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Morris had the Convenia for a urinary infection. When I say he's impossible to pill, he is. So it was a choice between no med and Convenia. He had to have it twice as the infection wasn't completely gone. The second time they gave it to me to inject him...they weren't too happy about giving me the filled syringe but I can shoot him easily and the vet can't so they went along with it....they're learning!

16. Teela Brown

Teela Brown Member

Re: 12/31 Scruffy pm 92

Numbers still look good. But I dont want to get too exciting until his eating returns to normal.

QUESTION: After all the surgery, medications etc is it normal for a cat to have trouble going to the washroom? I am going to monitor more closely but I think Scruffy is having trouble going. He keeps climbing in and out of the litter box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.