1/15 Max AMPS 365 -vet update-jojo had ideas. What?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Randi & Max (GA), Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy Friday LL
    4th cycle 5u
    Oh well. No yellow to start the day but I will take a pink one
    over the reds he usually gets.
    Mr. Liver paid a visit last night with a PMPS of 499.
    Still have not seen that magical blue colour yet. Paws crossed it will come soon.

WCR: very cute this morning. DH was offering illegal treats in his hand to the 3 cats.
    Max of course wanted but when he heard the microwave go for his sock, he walked
    away and went to his chair for his test. I just love that boy.

Off to the vet now for a checkup. I'll report when I get back.
    Everyone behave while I'm gone, lol.

Yesterday's Condo

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 1/15 Max AMPS 365

Good luck at the vets! Paws crossed, tails crossed and and all that good positive stuff!

3. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

Re: 1/15 Max AMPS 365

Hope all goes well at the vet. Maybe you will discover something that will help get those numbers down.

4. Randi & Max (GA)

Re: 1/15 Max AMPS 365 - vet update

We are back from the vet.

Here is the scoop.
    Max gained .4lbs so now he is a whopping 18.6lbs

Vet was pleased at all of his clinical signs. Looks good, happy no weight loss at least for now.
    She did urine culture and testing to make sure nothing is there considering his
    past out of box experience.

So here is the dilema. She knows I like to test and of course I brought my ss with.
    She was also a little be surprised that he is now at 5u (which she did say that it is not a crazy
    high number because he is a big cat) since he was at 2.75 when we left and his fructosamine was good, almost excellent at that time.

She still feels that even though he might be purring and comes for his tests, she wants me to control myself and keep it to a minimum and do a full curve in 5 days since it is possible that there is internal stress that could distort his numbers. (I should have brought her Lunas'
    pre OTJ ss - obviously Ronnie got Luna to trial OTJ by poking him lots, lol)
    She doesn't want me to chase the dose, worried about symogy...
    Then she will consider another fructosamine.
    Her point is that everything must be taken into account when dosing the insuin and not just the BG. I guess I can tone it down a bit over the next few days and show her she's wrong?

Any opinions?

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 1/15 Max AMPS 365 - Vet update

You'll get lots of opinions!! (Lol). Testing is fine. Vets aren't used to beans doing any home testing. That's probably more the norm. If Max doesn't object, test when you need to.

As for symogyi, this is from Tilly:

A fructosamine test is an unnecessary expense when you have daily data. Why would you need an average over a few weeks when you have the "real" numbers?

6. Randi & Max (GA)

That's what I asked and she told me that it was for the proteins attached to something
    and that it was different than the BG. I know exactly what you mean though. I just sighed.

7. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

hey there. was just coming to LL to see if chris/chloe had posted an update and any thread with vet in title catches my eye...glad it was just a wellness check.
    hmm....he is a big boy and gaining more weight. and on a good sized dose with no hint of numbers coming down. i haven't been around (am sick) for a few months so gonna talk to the people that have to see if anyone is thinking what i'm thinking. bbl.
    ~jojo

8. Randi & Max (GA)

A visit from jojo. Thank you.
    I hope you are feeling better. I have read your posts.
    Keep and be well.

9. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Well, I do have something to say about my vet and my ss when I first met with her...she told me to "not test so much" either...uh-huh lol
    I'm seeing her next week to give her (antijinx) our SS and I 'm kinda nervous cause maybe she'll think I have that munchhosen-whatcha-ma-call-it disease
    :eek:
    But I do feel without my testing, thou it may of been overkill, I would not of known much of his patterns, and I like to see patterns.

I am so glad u went to the vet - and I will say - if kitties are coming to the test table and are use to being tested, I hardly think there is stress there as much as there would at a vet's office. So there.
    Hope the urine test comes back with good results!

:) lol

10. Randi & Max (GA)

know what you mean Ronnie - Good think no BG test was done on me cuz I was stressed to show her my ss - like do a curve once a week not once a day, lol. I stood there and smiled, nodded my head and she knew i couldn't stop, and all I had going on in my head was, Ronnie & Luna, hahaha.
    It' Munchousen by proxy (ok I can't spell either but we know that already) BTW and yeah, maybe the FDMB all suffers from that.
    I don't think Max is stressed either but I might ease up a tad and see, but I like the patterns too and I want to stay on the protocol. Withought tests, I wont see his blues!!!!

11. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

I was also advised not to test 'so much'.... and also rolled my eyes. Yeah-yeah-yeah.... smile, look pretty... go home and take care of Tizon the way I believe is best.... thru testing. I have a SS to rely on... how many 'clients' have that? If you feel that you have Max's diabetic treatment under control, you don't need her approval.... Just my 2 cents.
    (edited because I didn't make sense!)

12. Randi & Max (GA)

Love that answer Helene.
    Its like you were there in my head with me.
    She knows it too, I'll hide the Cdn spreadhseet from her somehow, haha.

13. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I don't have any of the vets telling me to do anything or stop anything; right upfront I told them how it was gonna be, so they could save their breath. I just remind them that they had told me SID was the way I should be giving Lantus, and they shut up.

I think Shadoe doesn't like some of her testing .... cuz she was sleeping when I wanted to test! So yeah, she was annoyed about being woken. How can Shadoe possibly be stressed with the tests when it is her who is jumping on my chest, meowing in my face cuz it's time to get up for amps.

As for the fructosamine test, I agreed to go along with the 'package deal' which included the test, just to see what it will say. The package of test goodies was on sale for $199 and I jumped on it :lol: Man, I am a sucker for a sale!
    We shall see what it shows. The test was suggested when Shadoe was first dx, but I laughed at that suggestion as she had been on caninsulin for only days. Right then, I knew I would have to know the answers before the vet's questions.

If Max is fine with the testing, and the results help you manage Max's health and condition, then there is no problem with it at all. Peace of mind and a good nite's sleep is better than not knowing.

And now we would like some nice lower numbers please, Max.

14. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

That's funny! As others have said, it is your business how you care for your pet. I'm glad your visit went well (otherwise).

15. Randi & Max (GA)

Re: 1/15 Max AMPS 365 - Vet update -

Gayle, these vets are very annoying sometimes. At least she would only do a fructosamine once a month and only when the dose is consistent.
    Since I have been at several doses since his last one, and just started at 5u, she did
    not bother with doing one today, which I guess gives her some credibility.
    I might give up one test in the next few days, my +9 cuz it has always been higher than his PMPS but I know the testng i not bothering him, certainly
    not enough to leave his BG levels.
    Today I left him alone due to the vet visit, we only got back at 1:00.
    PMPS was very high, but I'm not surprised.
    I like to have the info so I will continue what we are doing.

16. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Will be interesting to see what Jojo comes up with...I am so curious now.
    Interesting developments at the vet office, eh? It always interests me to hear these stories of what vets say about our testing. Shadow never minds at all (but your vet would probably faint if she saw his and Luna's SSs....LMHO!!!)

17. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Pat,
    Me too; I want to know what Jojo thinks too!

Randi,
    I seem to recall Professor Ronnie saying that the +9 was the most important test as it tells you how the dose is holding/lasting or something. Maybe when she takes a break from testing Luna, she can give us a lecture on the values of each test at each hour! You may need to select another one to give up :lol:

For me, if I did not test, I would be missing Shadoe's upside down nadir!

It is best to intake all data, suggestions, advice, opinions, experiences, and then digest it all and decide what is best for our own kitty and our own peace of mind. Since I know you do this already, I also know that Max is in good hands.

18. Randi & Max (GA)

Gayle, you're right!!!!
    I remember the Professor saying that too.
    I guess We need some clarification on the importance of that +9.

Thanks for the 'compliment' of Max being in good hands. I love my boy dearly. Back at you.

19. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Randi, so glad Max is all right!! Yeah how many fructosamine tests Moonie got when we were urine testing--I forked over a lot of $$ but it was then the only way to know where she was--Once I began bg testing those fructosamine tests went out the window :thumbup
    The new vets havent even mentioned it after I showed them my SS! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    We will be starting our first few meetings of testaholics anonymous!! nailbite_smile haha_smiley
    I always liked the number +9!! have a good night!

20. Randi & Max (GA)

Re: 1/15 Max AMPS 365 - Vet update - What's Jojo thinking?

It was very exciting to have jojo pay a visit but a few of us are curious as to what she is thinking. Any ideas. I'd love to know.
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.