1/12 Mim PMPS 317

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Andrew and Mim, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew and Mim

Andrew and Mim Member

2. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

Re: 1/12 Mim AMPS 295

What is his WCR (well cat report) Andrew). Does he seem okay?

3. Andrew and Mim

Andrew and Mim Member

Re: 1/12 Mim AMPS 295

He seems pretty good, considering the very hot weather atm (yesterday was 40 C). There hasn't been any "playing" but lots of smooching and purring :mrgreen:

4. Andrew and Mim

Andrew and Mim Member

Re: 1/12 Mim AMPS 295, +3~311 ETA

Same thing as yesterday - numbers went UP after AM shot - food?

I don't suppose it's possible to get a dud vial??

5. Andrew and Mim

Andrew and Mim Member

Re: 1/12 Mim AMPS 295, +3~311, +6~365

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

6. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

I was going to ask you how old your Lantus was but I see on your ss it is not that old. It could be that it is a bad vial. I had a bad batch a couple months back so if nothing else is going on that may be a possibility.
    Mim is feeling ok? No infections?

7. Andrew and Mim

Andrew and Mim Member

I will try another vial tonight (from the same box). It's a little hard to say how he is given the heat here atm - seems ok.....not sure about infections.....maybe a vet visit tomorrow?

8. Andrew and Mim

Andrew and Mim Member

Re: 1/12 Mim AMPS 295, +3~311, +6~365, +9~346

I can't get my head around this.....he was doing so well on 1U and then 0.25U.....and now this! :-x

Is this just the nature of FD?

9. Andrew and Mim

Andrew and Mim Member

10. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

11. Andrew and Mim

Andrew and Mim Member

Thanks Jill.....Mim's coughing was diagnosed as "asthma" and seems to have pretty much resolved (haven't used inhaler for weeks now) - the liquipoo has also resolved since changing to the raw-diet.

Would you recommend taking him to the vet? Are their any particular tests they could run (eg.bloods)? It seems odd that with the previous issues now apparently at-bay, his requirement for insulin appears to be increasing!

12. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

i'm going to see if i can get in touch with cassandra to have her peek in here. i'm good with numbers, but not-so-good with what tests to run. she'll have a better idea. i don't want to steer you in the wrong direction.
    as far as the numbers go... momentum can be lost easily. when this happens, it's not unusual to have to go back up the dosing scale to break through before coming back down again.

13. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

I think Jill is spot on with momentum just being lost. It happens. I do think the food switch played a role, as I have seen switches to raw wreak havoc on Sasha's BGs as well as other kitties. It passes once the body adjusts to the raw, but in that time glucose toxicity has built up and you need to power through it with more insulin. He'll come back down in dose once he's spent more time in healing numbers. Just keep increasing the dose as needed until you get back to the all green he once had.

The raw switch, if it took care of the liquipoo and possibly the coughing too, was incredibly beneficial to Mim. Possibly he was allergic to a canned food additive or protein, or even possibly intolerant of particular cooked proteins in general. It is possible for a kitty to be intolerant of a protein in cooked form and do well with it in its raw state. Perhaps he had the beginnings of IBD and the food change worked - it often does for cats with chronic liquipoo.

Allergy testing in cats is notoriously inaccurate, outside of food trials, which you have had success with. IBD doesn't usually show in bloodwork, although IBD and also allergies (which may or may not be linked depending on the animal) can cause elevations in eosinophils and basophils. Those are the white blood cells that respond to allergens and parasites. If Mim had elevations in either of those (eosinophil elevations alone are more common unless the reaction is severe), I would maybe suspect allergies or IBD, but they are not definitive alone for either condition.

Has Mim ever been tested for heartworm? Is he treated with a preventative? I don't know how common it is in Australia, but two symptoms are coughing and vomiting, both of which Mim had. If it were me, I would probably have him tested at some point just to rule it out (which I did with Sasha when she had the same symptoms). There is a possibility always of Toxoplasmosis infection with a raw diet (or anything that he may have ever ingested that was infected with it), and that can elevate BGs as well as cause vomiting, coughing, and liquipoo. That may be a test to run also just in case, although may cats are infected with it and are asymptomatic.

More On Toxoplasmosis:
    http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/toxo.html
    http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 34&aid=770
    http://www.fabcats.org/cat_group/policy ... /toxo.html

More On Heartworm:
    http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/heartworms.html
    http://www.cat-world.com.au/heartworm-in-cats
    http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm ... 42&aid=742

14. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Com'on Mim, we all know you can do green very very well. No need to make your daddybean all upset.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.