7/06 Meadow AMPS 372

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amber & Meadow, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amber & Meadow

Amber & Meadow Member

Dosecrease to 13.5u. Also, received the results of the IGF-1(acro). It came back as 245 with the range of 12-92. So I guess she has acro. Now what? The IAA will be ready on Friday.
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19013

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Amber

I'm not familiar with the numbers, but others will be by to help you with that.
    In the meantime, I assume you have all that info others gave you last month? Also, have a re-thru the High Dose forum too, lots more info there.

How is Meadow doing today?

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Welcome to the world of acro!

I am at work now and can say more later, but I wanted to just let you know that there are plenty of us around who can help you along.

Shadoe is just acro, but Oliver is acro and IAA positive, so let us know when you get the IAA results. Anything over 20% is a positive, but don't worry about it; the acro wins.

For acro, you have a working pancreas, so you aim for BLUE only. Under 100 is no longer your goal.

For IAA, you are aiming to get low as you can, so you are aiming for GREEN, because you want to break it.

For both, you just go with the BLUE because acro is forever and IAA is temp and will go away eventually I think.

4. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

At least now you know and will be better able to deal with her problems, :YMHUG: Amber :YMHUG: cat_pet_icon Meadow cat_pet_icon

5. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

((((Amber)))) we'll do this together, I got the same news for Jazzy today. Others will be stopping by to visit, the acro moms are a wonderful group and they really take care of each other. There is a ton of information on the Acromegaly/IAA/Cushings support group on this site, but don't think for a minute that you have to leave Lantus Land. There are lots of acro moms in LL. Now you have two homes in FDMB instead of just one, your Lantus family and your High Dose family.

For right now we need to work on her insulin needs. You are aiming for blue, not green. It is also important to know that acros have functioning pancreases, so if you do find yourself needing to bring up a low number (it will happen someday, even though it doesn't seem like it right now), you'll probably need to go straight for high carb food instead of low carb like the other cats here. If that doesn't work, don't be afraid to grab the syrup. Acros' insulin needs can change suddenly, so if you wake up one morning and see a low number that is totally out of context, don't feel pressured to "shoot low to stay low" like we tell everyone else. It's ok to give a major chicken dose or even to skip doses sometimes.

The good news is that now you know WHY Meadow needs a higher dose than many other kitties. You know you're not doing anything wrong, you're just giving her what she needs. I hope that helps you feel a little less frustrated. I'm lucky, Jazzy's dose is not very high (at least not right now), so I can't relate to how you must feel shooting 13.5 units, but now you know for sure that it's the right thing to do.

6. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

((((Amber))) sending support your way for Meadow but at least now you know what you are working with :YMHUG: cat_pet_icon

7. sehjak (Susan & Lanky)

sehjak (Susan & Lanky) Well-Known Member

Hi Amber & Meadow - Sorry to hear the news, I was pretty overwhelmed and sad when I found out about Lanky. I spent a couple of day feeling bad & then I noticed (just like someone had said to me but I wasn't ready to listen) that day-to-day nothing has really changed. So I get up and do whatever I need to day-by-day. The people & the help around here are phenomenal. When spirits are down (it happens often on this rollercoaster ride at least to me), they are here to perk you up. Also, everyone is learning so much about Acro everyday. My vet is coordinating with Dr. Kathy Lunn at Colorado State Univ vet school. I believe she is one of the most knowledgeable on the subject. And, we are considering doing that treatment. You just don't know what will happen & what these kitties will do. We all believe--in miracles, in our kitties, in each other, in divine intervention so we never loose hope. We all just need some support to get thru the lows & the tough times.

I am not big on patience and I find all the waiting -- for the next BG, lab test, vet visit, insulin cycle, etc. -- to be a bit rough. There is a life-lesson in there for me. Anyway, I started thinking about Lanky and how he is just a sweet as ever. It's like he has more faith in me being able to take care of him than I do some times! Ask me questions anytime as I am only too happy to support you as others have me. And, who knows, maybe before long there will be a breakthrough treatment for these little guys.

I'll be checking in again on you guys!

Hugs,
    Susan and Lanky

8. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

I think you'll find much love and support here (acro moms are special). :mrgreen:
    (((((((((((((Amber and Meadow))))))))))))).

9. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

sorry about the results, but like Libby said, now you know. And Meadow? Same as she was before the results. I THINK that it might mean that you can be a bit more aggressive with dosing, but I'm sure the acro moms will advise you well.

10. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Sorry about the diagnosis Amber. Meadow is the same Meadow she was last week; now, you just have the reason for her dose. (((((Amber))))) ((((Meadow))))

11. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

((( Amber )))

Sorry about the Acro DX, but the good news is that you're already doing everything you can to help Meadow so that doesn't change.

Getting/keeping the diabetes under control is still your goal, it can just get a little tricky some times.

Took a quick look at Meadow's profile - organ enlargement can be a result of the acro so now you have a possible explanation for that.

Looks like you've been through a lot to get where you are. I'm sure things will be smoother once you hit the right dose, and you'll get there!

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

((Amber))

I don't think this was unexpected but knowledge is power. You have a big plus on your side -- you have background in nursing and are in a good position to understand acro and may even have resources where you work to help you, and us, understand even more. We are all here to help in whatever way we can.

13. Amber & Meadow

Amber & Meadow Member

Thank you all for your support. I think I'm kind of in shock right now. I was hoping it would be negative. :evil: I called Dr Lunn's office today, but she is out of the country until 7/12. Her assistant took my info and will have her call me next week. If you don't mind my asking how much was the radiation therapy and how long did it take? Yes, Meadow is the same, still eating, drinking, and peeing. Now I know. And now my vet needs to learn about this. On one of my prior posts I mentioned he had never heard of acro. This has just made me more determined to conquer this.

14. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Hi Amber,

The SRS is about $5000. Definitely a lot of money, but I figured that I spent over $100 per month on insulin & supplies, so the "break-even point" was about 4 years. Also, I hoped that treating Boo could help other acros.

The good news is that it only takes a week for treatment and it's in lovely Colorado.

Tell your vet to read the spring issue (Feb?) of Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery.

15. Amber & Meadow

Amber & Meadow Member

Thanks for the info, Heather.

16. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

Amber - Meadow. Good luck. Sorry you got this diagnosis but, lots of support here and knowing is better than not knowing.

17. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

(((((Amber))))). Sorry to hear Meadow's dx, but now you know, and you will get so much support here. Hugs to you and Meadow from Stu and me. Have a good night and start tomorrow refreshed and with the knowledge that everyone here is with you.

Ella

18. Barb and Tori

Barb and Tori Well-Known Member

Hi Amber. I'm sorry about the news you got today. I know you must feel overwhelmed and scared. I'm so glad though that you have all the people here at in the Acro group. They will be such a great help to you. Hang in there.

19. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

You are not alone as there are acro moms here that are very knowledgeable and so willing to give support, advice, and hugs! You are part of a great community and we all know you will be able to handle this with ease and grace. Give Meadow a kiss on the head and a little smile... things will be ok now that you understand why Meadow needed more insulin than others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.