1/6 Alex AMPS 415,+2~267

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA), Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

Alex is unusually quiet this morning. He seems to be okay. He was very yakky before breakfast but now he is just lying in the kitchen not talking at all. He just came in here..still quiet. Maybe he's perturbed because I'm paying attention to Jacky a lot..or maybe he's just relaxing for a change :D

yesterday

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 1/6 Alex AMPS 415

Nice blues last nite!
    Hang in there and let's see what he does today :)

3. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Okay I know why Alex was quiet, he is sick

He has what Jackson has a day later. He just threw his guts up two times like Jackson did yesterday. I'm sure he has the same thing Jackson has. He has no ketones thank goodness

4. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Oh no. Sorry that Alex did get what Jackson has. Phooey...
    Glad there are no ketones and the BG is looking pretty good.

He's not making this easy is he? I hope he recovers quickly. (Both kitties.)

5. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Actually Alex has it worse than Jackson. He has vomited 4 or 5 times and has diarrhea. He looks pretty pitiful and my apartment is a mess. He just went back into the pan. I feel awful for him. He's going to need a shot of something to settle his stomach soon. What do we do about insulin when they can't eat or drink?

6. CD and BigMac

..wow. So sorry Caryl.

I never had this particular problem when my cat was on insulin, but my gut tells me I'd check the BG a lot to see where it was going and when the time came for the shot.... three options, depending on the numbers and whether Alex has eaten or gotten sicker...
    1. delay, check again, delay...
    2. BCS* dose if BG allows it
    3. Skip

Alex is difficult, being prone to ketones, so I have to admit I'm way out of my league here. My heart goes out to you with 2 sick kitties. Can your vet give you something to get them through this?

*big chicken sh%# dose. 1/2 or less

7. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

((((Jackson)))((((Alex))))

I'm sorry to hear they are so sick. I'd try and get an antiemetic (anti-nausea) from the vet for both of them. Injectable is preferable. My first choice for acute vomiting would be Cerenia/Maropitant, then Zofran/Ondansetron, or Reglan/Metoclopramide. In our experience, Cerenia does the best job at completely shutting down the ability to vomit. Vomiting can become cyclical, so it is best to get in with an antiemetic soon. If they are dehydrated, that can also make vomiting worse, and SQ fluids may help (if vet gives okay).

I had to deal with Sasha not eating/vomiting and insulin for a fairly long time, although she was not prone to ketones. Best case, I think, would be to get an antiemetic into Alex soon so that he may feel up to eating or so that you can syringe feed if absolutely necessary. When you do offer food, only give small bits of food at first. If you have or can get some baby food (we used Beechnut Stage 1 meat flavors often), that is nice and bland and appealing to many sick kitties.

Given that Alex is ketone prone, I would want to get as much insulin in him as possible without putting him in danger. Test often this cycle to see where he is headed. Make sure you have Karo on hand, which can be rubbed on the gums if he will not eat.

Has Alex kept anything down today?

8. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Jackson is starting to get better. he got a shot of centrine last night and a pill this morning. he had stage one beechnut turkey this morning and kept it down.

I am going to Jaime to pick up a shot for Alex in an hour and some follow up pills for him as well. I have reglan in the house but Jaime said it can make diarrhea worse. Everything he ate today has come up that's why im taking a late lunch so i can meet jaime when he opens for afternoon hours. last year alex and jackson got a stomach virus at the same time in february and no one could believe it. well here it is again :cry:

9. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

A little off topic but a good place to say -- I will forever be grateful to Cassandra for her wealth of information that she shared with me and Noisy, when he was sick. Always glad to see the lower numbers for Alex.

10. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Re: 1/6 Alex AMPS 415,+2~267,+6.5~236

Thanks I just gave Alex a shot and hopefully it will calm his stomach enough for me to get some baby food in him tonight so I can get some insulin into him. This is exactly like deja vu all over again. exact same thing as last year except Alex wasn't diabetic yet. Actually, my stomach doesn't feel so great either.... :roll:

11. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Reglan can make diarrhea worse, as it speeds up the motility in the GI tract. Can also cause cramping. Sasha never did well with it. She was one of the cats that had neuro effects from it, and it never did much for her vomiting either.

Do you give them any probiotics daily? If they are susceptible to things like this, it may not be a bad idea to help build up their GI flora and overall immune system. Even a few times a week would be helpful.

Have they had fecal tests run lately?

((((Diahann)))) I'm just thankful to be able to put Sasha's being so violently ill for so long to good use. Although given her status lately, I may have to find a new rightful owner for the Queen of All Things Pukus title that Jojo so kindly bestowed upon me. :D ;-)

12. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Re: 1/6 Alex AMPS 415,+2~267,+9.5~240

Alex has been getting acidophiles lately because of the ab's he was on. no they haven't had fecals lately. I wasn't aware that they needed them? They really don't have bead stomach's. Last time they were sick was last February when they were sick together. The shot I gave Alex a couple of hours ago has helped him A LOT! I am giving him 50 ml of fluids now. I guess I'll see if he can keep some baby food down at around 8 or so. Any ideas on what I should do about his insulin?

13. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Re: 1/6 Alex PMPS 467,+1.5~367,+4.5~204

shot 3.0 at +12.5 after Alex kept down jar of beechnut stage one turkey baby food. He seems to be feeling a lot better after Centrine. But sneezing a bit. I'll deal with that next, I'm exhausted. Didn't give him any other pills by mouth tonight don't want to upset him or aggravate gag reflex. More important to get insulin in him.
    Jackson got regular FF with baby food. He's a lot better tonight.
    Oh I hope Alex doesn't puke anymore tonight..
    [​IMG]
    My Babies !♥♥♥

14. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Boy, I'm sorry all three of you aren't feeling well. That's really really tough. I hope Alex can keep his food down and that you can get some rest. ((((Caryl))))

15. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Alex is keeping his food down (Phew). He just had another 1/2 jar of baby food. I probably could have given him his whole dose but I was afraid if he threw up again he'd go hypo and I have too bad of a headache to deal with that aside from how Alex is feeling. My boys have had it rough the past 2 days (he's also got the cold Jacky has so we're not done yet I'm afraid)

we're liking all these hugs though :)

16. CD and BigMac

Look at those sweet faces! How cute!

17. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Thank you :) Mac is very handsome too <blush> ♥

18. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Thanks for the help today

everyone...Alex and Jackson are both going to bed feeling a bit better it seems...Paws crossed.
    ni-ni from all of us I-)

19. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

ni-ni caryl...
    hope everyone feels better tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.