4/1 mocha pmps 64 +1 73 +3 30 +3.5 52 MC

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by PeterDevonMocha, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10695

WCR: is eating breakfast. Seemed quiet most of the night. She is looking forward to having the windows open again. She loves the fresh air.

Today is mochas 8th cycle of (F)2.0. We are seeing green, but it's rare. How much longer should we hold her at this dose before she goes back up? Any time I suggest taking her back up peter always says, she JUST had green. But she really didn't. And today is one of those days I feel extremely frustrated by this whole thing. It's coming up on her one year anniversary, and while she has gone up and down the dosing ladder, nothing is consistent, other then us not being able to go on family vacations or a night out with friends without rearranging half the week to adjust mochas shot time. Sorry to vent. It is just becoming harder and harder financially and emotionally. :sad:

2. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 4/1 mocha amps 319, dose question

I feel like the marriage ref this morning.......have you seen that tv show?
    Anyway sorry but I am going to have to side with Peter on this one. Mocha was pretty low just two days ago and rebound can take up to 72 hours to clear so I think I would hold the dose for a few more days.

Devon, I really understand your frustration as I often feel the same way. We were always arranging schedules and planning our social lives around Putty's shot time too. I called all the vet clinics in our area and found a vet tech that I have come over to test and shoot Putty if we need to be away for the day or if we are going out etc. It is well worth the money and I trust her completely. That may be an option for you.

3. Mindy & Max

Mindy & Max Member

(((Devon))) (incidentally, my DH's name is Devon! :D )

I can't help with the dosing--kinda feel like I'm flailing my arms around daily with that one myself. But I can understand your frustrations. A whole whopping 3-4 weeks ago when we started this with Max, I couldn't fathom dealing with this even for the short term, let alone the long term. And I'm still having trouble with it. I'm juggling nap schedules and feeding schedules and throwing in tests and shots pretty much was pushing me right to the edge (and some days still is). I really can't offer any advice, but just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I think this has to be one of the most frustrating situations to be in--both my kids as newborns were easier to figure out than this!

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I agree with Miriam - I'd hold the dose a bit longer.

I also agree with how frustrating this can be. There are the kitties that whip in and out of here while we keep plugging along. As ofter as I try to talk to Gabby's pancreas (and liver), it just doesn't seem to listen. I am fortunate that several of my friends are "cat people" and do understand that I work the rest of my life around Gabby's shot times and BG numbers. Travel has been a huge issue for me - especially since Gabby won't let anyone else test - and her shot times destroyed my gym schedule. Of course, there are the things I don't want to do that I can side step because I have to be home to give a shot.

5. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Devon...let's all sit and wish that this process went quicker. In the end. it doesn't and it won't and we are going to be told to be PATIENT! ugh.
    We are all in this together and all of us feel this terrible frustration. Even a watched pot does come to a boil eventually.

WE don't "see" the end while we are in the middle of it. You are doing all the correct things...so when everyone says wait a little while longer, so be it. I think it's always good to reevaluate to make sure there isn't something that you should be doing...but when it's said that you are doing all that can be done so do nothing differently, then we have to try to focus on something else for the day.

These little "blips" come and go and we have to keep on keeping on! :roll:
    (((((Devon)))))

6. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Devon, I certainly empathize with you. Stu has been on insulin for more than 4 years. During the first 4 years on PZI Vet and no testing (except sporadically at the vet's) it was pretty easy: shot times didn't have to be so precise and I didn't understand anything about FD but simply gave the dose the vet prescribed. But, of course, Stu didn't get any better and probably got worse. Now, on Lantus, we are seeing fabulous improvement. All this testing and keeping to a rigid schedule is worth it, although terrifying at times!!! Hang in there!
    Ella

7. Sara & Magnolia

Sara & Magnolia Member

It's so easy to get frustrated and you aren't alone, but try to stay positive, or at least on the positive side of negative.

It looks like you are seeing some nice changes after Mocha's dental! I agree with everyone about holding the dose. Hopefully, Mocha will level out soon.

8. PeterDevonMocha

thanks for the words of encouragement you guys. It just seems we are so financially strapped anymore, the new to us car we bought less then a month ago already has had to have over 300.00 in repairs done to it, just to make it driveable. Then mochas dental was up in the four digit number range and I feel like we lost all momentum after her dental. When I look at her SS I see a sea of blues and greens right up to the dental, then after it's hard to see those numbers. Friends do understand to a point, family does as well, but it's hard to hear about people getting together or family trips being planned, and there isn't much we can do about going with them. Just so frustrated and sad. But it's time to put on the big girl panties and deal with the hand we were dealt.

I guess we will hold mocha at this dose until told to do otherwise.

9. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

:YMHUG: :YMHUG: for support hoping it gets better for you
    Lisa and Do Lou

10. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, Devon. I know it is really hard. And I understand about the money. Basil's dental, with only 2 extractions, was nearly $500. I can only imagine what your bill was! I can only offer :YMHUG: :YMHUG: and hope that things improve very soon.

11. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

((((Devon)))
    I identify completely. COMPLETELY. I am single with a BF. He has a dog, I have a cat. We live 40 minutes apart. His dog is dying. My cat has diabetes. I have to be home every 12 hours, he is afraid to leave his dog for more than a couple hours. I haven't slept in the same bed with him since NOVEMBER! We have not been away together since last summer. He is unemployed and doesn't want to get a job until his dog passes. I drive to his house Sat. and come home Sat. night. I drive back over on Sun and come home Sun night. I see him for a few hours on Thursday nights and that's it. It SUCKS! I'm in therapy because it's so hard. Before this he had another dying dog who finally died in November, then the second dog got sick. A year before this my 3 year old cat died from acute pancreatitis. I'm SO SICK of pet sickness and death. I want to go on vacation. I have the money. I have someone I love to go with. Everyone here at work is going to Aruba or some other island and I want to SCREAM. People are planning their summer vacations. AM I? NOPE. I am so jealous of these people. And I don't feel like I can talk to many people about this because it sounds so crazy. I've wanted to say this stuff for so long and you just gave me the chance. It takes work to look at this in a positive light. Thank GOD we have this board.

12. PeterDevonMocha

Re: 4/1 mocha amps 319 +4 197

traci, I'm sorry you are also dealing with all of that. Boomer is looking really good though, and it won't be long I don't think before something special might happen for you guys. We bought a camper last year and got to use it one night because of mocha. It now sits in my grandmas garage. Thinking about selling it, but we don't because I feel like if we sell it, that is saying mocha will never go OTJ and I can't think like that. I HAVE to have something to aim for. It may never happen for mocha but I'm not willing to openly admit that. It sucks. And I'm also glad we have this site to come to and to vent.

Attached Files:

13. PeterDevonMocha

Re: 4/1 mocha amps 319 +4 197 +6 135

normally mocha would be eating right about now, but loved having the windows open so much she stole twixs basket by the window and conked out! This of course makes twix unbelievably out of control jealous, but what's a momma to do? Mocha never gets to lay in twix's throne!

14. Traci and Boomer

So cute! She's a big girl! So your cats don't share beds? How does Mocha know that it's Twix's bed? Twix is really jealous? OMG! Cat drama. I've never had that before. I guess my cats didn't ever really have anything that was "their own", you know?

Mocha's numbers are coming down! YAY!

Could you ever take Mocha with you in the camper to go on vacation? Is that a possibility? What about a cat sitter? I'd be willing to try anything at this point to go on a vacation. I'd feel guilty about it, but I'd get someone from my vet's office that knew how to deal with a diabetic. Or I'd board him at the vet like I've done before. It's not ideal, but neither is having an unhappy fur-Mom. Even pet lovers have their limits.

Today at lunch at work a girl was talking about need beach cover ups and stuff for her trip to Playa del Carman in a couple weeks. Someone said "Traci - when are you going on vacation" then I proceeded to tell them about the diabetes and Dave's dog. I wonder if they think I'm nuts now? Whatever! @-) I know that people probably think I'm a cat freak. :roll:

15. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I know it's hard, and often frustrating, and always the expenses. I can sure relate to the expenses as I just had Shadoe in for her ultrasound and then a dental with extraction following tests being sent to Michigan for acro and IAA.
    It's $1000s later, and I am relieved and happy. Shadoe is getting better and every penny has been worth it. I may be broke but my baby is getting healthier.
    The time limitations exist but where there's a will, there's a way.
    No point in rushing any dose changes; best to wait till Mocha is ready. All in good time, mocha will continue healing and let you know when it's time.

16. PeterDevonMocha

twix does not share. She has HER beds with HER blankets and HER toys. Her favorite toys are the pink and purple ones (hence the blanket on HER bed) I'm not kidding. She will paw through HER toybox until she finds any purple and pink toys and will paw at them till they come out and then we have to throw them for her. Twix I believe has an OCD personality, everything has to be in it's place or she is one unhappy girl. In fact she has been following me around the house all afternoon letting me know she isn't happy.

Mocha is pretty laid back when it comes to her beds, wherever she falls tired, that's her bed :lol:

We could never take mocha on vacation with us. We have a pop up camper, all the walls are just screens. One day a few years back here at home, a stray cat walked across mochas driveway and without a second thought she literally ran through the window screen until peter was holding her by her ankles and dragged her back in. We have talked about hiring a pet sitter for her shots. We have family that lives close by that is more then willing to come feed her and check in on her. We would just need someone to come give shots, and I don't know how well that would go over with mocha. After almost a year of getting shots, it still takes both me and peter to wrestle her to the ground.

If you think explaining it to friends is bad, try explaining it to your mother in law who honestly dislikes cats, believes they are "sneaky creatures" It doesn't go over very well when you tell them you can't go out to see them at Christmas time because of a cat. nailbite_smile

17. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

(((Devon & Mocha))) :YMHUG:
    I understand completely how you feel, being at this a year & seeing some kittys drop in for a month or two & be healed.. If only our furbabies were on our time schedule. Look at the positives though, you have Peter to help you out & you are not alone. Mocha is healthier.. I hope & pray that Mocha will be OTJ one day (soon) when the time is here, we will know. There is a predefined plan for each creature & some of them/us just need more time. We want Mocha to stay OTJ successfully - so cannot rush her cat_pet_icon

It isn't easy & it is challenging.. I hear ya & feel the same - but in my opinion it is always worth it…
    Wishing you both a Beautiful, Blessed weekend & lots of luck on any dosecrease decided! Last time you went with Peter's suggestion of holding her a little longer - maybe this time you can go with your decision? Alternate each time? LOL

18. Traci and Boomer

Devon-

I am DYING over here. That was hilarious. OMG. I can't get my work done. :lol:
    I've never heard of a cat who has her own toys and that they are specific colors??? Whoa. And the thing about a cat crossing "Mocha's driveway" was funny too. I've only ever had boy cats and none of them were possessive about anything - I didn't even know that cats were like that, I SWEAR! So much for the camping with Mocha idea! And the story about your MIL was a scream. I mean, it's a total nightmare, but a very funny story. "Sneaky creatures" had me laughing out loud.

19. PeterDevonMocha

Re: 4/1 mocha amps 319 +4 197 +6 135 +8 78

it's true! Twix only likes purple and pink toys, no joke! What's even worse, is that mocha really only likes orange toys! :lol: The sad thing about my MIL is that when peter told me that for the first time, I really honestly thought he was lying ... how can you not love a cat?

Here is a picture of mocha with one of her favorite toys ... (notice the drool)

20. Traci and Boomer

Devon-

I can't take it! :lol: Is there catnip in the toy? I've only seen one cat drool in my life and it was because I was giving him cat nip - he wasn't mine and the owner got upset because she'd never seen him act like that. I thought cats were color blind - but your little divas certainly aren't.

Can your MIL be nice in other ways or is she not so nice?

21. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

I see that your day is already getting a little brighter!
    Hugs, sunshine, support, etc..... this is what the board is for..... SUPPORT! :YMHUG:

I'll echo what others have said re: dose, meaning sit tight. And I bet, now that Mocha's green you're green-ing too just like that :mrgreen:

I had a look at your SS and did you know or have you noticed that Mocha's current dose is almost 1/2 of what it was in mid-February? If that isn't progress, I don't know what is.

Your evening might get interesting... Gooooooooooooooo Mocha!

22. PeterDevonMocha

traci, once upon a time there was catnip in that toy, but that toy is about two years old, so I'm sure it isn't fresh anymore. Or wasn't fresh in that picture I should say. Im not real sure how cat's see colors, but I do know that our cat's are very particular in what toys they are willing to play with.

Yeah, we have noticed mochas dose amount has really dropped which makes us feel good. I wish it would "click" the way it does for other cats, but oh well. Be grateful for the small things, right??

Yes, this board has given me the strength to go on one more day! It started out a pretty bad day in this house .. car problems, money problems, number problems .. but coming here and talking has helped. This site is a lifesaver in more ways then one!

23. Traci and Boomer

You know what I just noticed? Mocha was a lot lighter in coloring when she was a kitten. She's really dark now compared to then. It almost doesn't look like her.

Something to be grateful for: it sounds like you've got a loving hubby to support you with your fur-daughters. Not to mention he's a HOTTIE too, right? :lol: ;-)

24. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((devon)))
    i feel your frustration. mocha has made progress. you and peter are responsible for that progress! she's alive and happy thanks to the two of you!

as difficult as it may seem, finding someone to give shots may be the best thing you can do for yourself. we all have diabetic cats. going OTJ isn't always the answer either. this is the third time alex has been on insulin since july of 2006. not trying to bring you down. just want to point out being otj is a gift which may be here one day and gone the next. somehow we have to figure out how to live our lives with our diabetic cats. kwim?

ps - looks like the bounce has cleared. go mocha! :D

25. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Devon, just want to send a hug. It is all very hard to handle sometimes -- especially when family doesn't understand. Sending many positive thoughts your way.

26. PeterDevonMocha

Re: 4/1 mocha amps 319 +4 197 +6 135 +8 78 +9 51

traci, you should see how much lighter mocha was when we first got her! I would add that pic in here, but I'm not real sure if the pics I am adding are taking up space on this site? I don't want to clog it down, but I don't know of another way to post them? She was such a light cream color .... and a little brown snout ...

I know OTJ isn't always a possibility for some cats, mocha is probably one of them. Maybe one day we will look for a cat sitter who can give shots. For now, it isn't like we have the money to go anywhere! :lol:

Thank you kathy, positive thoughts are always appreciated!

27. PeterDevonMocha

Re: 4/1 mocha pmps 64

yay! A nice green pmps finally! We are shooting a (F)2.0 again. Today was the second time going under 50 on this dose.

28. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Devon, Mocha is beautiful; and much darker than I thought. :smile:
    Nice PM number. You gonna sit up all night watching her? :D

29. PeterDevonMocha

we'll do what it takes! Mocha is a dark kitty these days ... we have a ton of pictures of her, and you can see a gradual darkening of her hair, and then bam! One day she's reallllllllllly dark! I'm going to post a picture of her, the first day we got her. I LOVE this picture of her!

30. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Ohhhhhhhhhh, how beautiful!!!!

31. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

AWWWW so cute and wow what a number for her tonight nailbite_smile

32. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Loved seeing Mocha's pictures. What a beauty! And a 64 PMPS too! Sounds like a coffee night!

Ella & Stu

33. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Baby Mocha looks like she's grinning in the photo!

I'm so glad we suggested that you hold the dose. What a great cycle and start for the PM.

34. PeterDevonMocha

yeah .. you guys made the right choice for us ... I get to impatient waiting for those ever wonderful green numbers!

Thank you for all the compliments, we thought mocha was a beauty as soon as we laid eyes on her ...

35. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Re: 4/1 mocha pmps 64 +1 73

this is *completely* off of all the topics going on in this condo today, because it looks like the dosing issue solved itself (Mocha can read, obviously). I just want to say I can't believe how much alike Mocha and Lucy look! They could be twins, seriously, except Lucy has a couple extra pounds. Lucy is a lot darker now than she used to be, too.

36. PeterDevonMocha

Re: 4/1 mocha pmps 64 +1 73 +3 30 HC

So we didn't check mocha at +2, cause she was high at +1 and she ate at +2 and of course now at +3 shes at 30 :eek: So now she is licking up her HC gravy.

She earns a dose reduction for going under 40, but is it a shave reduction, or a full .25 reduction? Down from a (F)2.0 to 2.0, or down to a (S)2.0?

37. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Devon, you're going to have to stop posting that you want to increase Mocha's dose, because I think she does this every time!

I would probably just shave her dose, as long as you're able to monitor tomorrow. We don't want to give Mocha any excuses for not holding the dosecrease. Up to you, though, 30 is low enough to try a 0.25 reduction if you prefer.

38. Traci and Boomer

OMG! I step away from the board for a little while and LOOK what happens to Ms. Mocha Jo! WOW Devon. You must be SO psyched about this! I mean, yeah, a 30 is scary but she'll be fine. Mocha is on the move.

And the kitty picture is BEYOND precious! She doesn't even look mocha then. It's wild how she turned brown. I can't believe how much she looks like Lucy. I don't think I've seen her face though - does she have deep blue eyes too?

39. PeterDevonMocha

I will be home to monitor tomorrow, so maybe we will do a shave and give her a little extra time before dropping her dose. Yes, these low numbers are exciting, but what would be even MORE exciting is if they were chained together .. instead of one day here, one day there ... maybe one day she will get it ... and yes traci, she does have blue eyes, but I don't think they are a deep of a blue as lucys. But she knows how to bat them to get her way around here!

40. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

Devon.....hmm, now what was that dose increase you were asking about just 15 hours ago? :mrgreen:

41. PeterDevonMocha

ok ... ok ... you guys got me ... :oops: I will admit .. I do not have the patience to play this game and I know it's very important to have! She went back up to 52 after her HC gravy, we are giving her MC now and will re test at +4

42. joyce-tuscany(GA)

joyce-tuscany(GA) Well-Known Member

Congrats on the dose crease. I laughed after reading your comments this am and now this. So I've taken a page from your book today and have threatened Tuscany. Lets see if we can trickle this down M24 to her. Hope you get some sleep tonight.

43. Natasha & Seamus

Natasha & Seamus Member

rotflmao thats my Mocha, she will mess you up if you threaten her! And OMG shes a pudgey girl, so freaking cute!

Devon, my aunts in from Buffalo so I was at the hotel all day. Email you back in the am.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.