3/24 Oliver amps 398 pmps 533 +2~517 +4~491

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Blue, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

2. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Re: 3/24 Oliver amps 398

Come on down Oliver!

It will be interesting to see if Shadoe drops some weight with Oliver's food obsession.

3. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 3/24 Oliver amps 398

Oh Oliver, reds last night after some beautiful blues you had.
    Guess maybe that drop to 1u??
    I hope this clears and you can find a good dose for the beautiful boy easily.
    He is getting such great care and love.

4. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 3/24 Oliver amps 398 pmps 533

PMPS 533.
    ((Gayle)) my sweet Oliver.
    Oh that is not a good number at all Gayle.

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Oh Oliver. Silly kitty. Get down from there!

6. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

I would think that this proves he wasn't getting enough insulin vs getting too much. However, see what Libby or Carolyn or someone that's been around a while thinks.

7. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Re: 3/24 Oliver amps 398 pmps 533 +2~517

Gayle, I saw your comments on Oliver's SS about waiting 3 more cycles before increasing. With numbers this high (above 300 at nadir,) Tilly does suggest you can raise the dose after 4 cycles and by 0.5 units instead of the usual 0.25 unit.

What do you think? He would move up to 1.50 units at tomorrow PM shot.

Poor guy, just lying around... I don't like that, he must not feel very good being so high. (((Oliver)))

http://www.tillydiabetes.net/en_6_protocol2.htm
    • However, if the cat is producing continuously high BGs (nadir always >=300 mg/dl), only hold the dose for 2-3 days before increasing it by 0.5 IU.

8. Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall

Deborah & Muffy(GA) & Wendall Member

Gayle ~

I know it's hard to see that number but it's not surprising given the horrible drop he had yesterday and it's going to take a few cycles to recover. The night Oliver was here, he also had a 500+ number and that was after 3 or 4 units that morning. He's been rebounding for a long time. Now you have the proof.

I mostly rescue 11th-hour cats and will say that every cat I've taken from a clinic or shelter that had been started on insulin has had to have his dose reduced. Why? Because they haven't been regularly tested, because dose increases were based on an occasional reading, because the environment itself is stress-producing, because of diet, etc.

One of my cats came on 17 units and surely only survived because he always had a bowl of dry food in front of him. I started over and his current dose is .5 unit. Another came on 1 unit and was off insulin in less than a month. I can tell you that it's a lot easier to start over than to have to backtrack.

It's fine for people to practice aggressive dosing and tight regulation when it's THEIR cat and they're starting from scratch. But with a rescue, you have to factor in the cat's unknown history, the probability of mismanagement and just start over. If it turns out that Oliver needs more insulin, at least it will be based on your own carefully acquired data and not someone else's guesswork.

I understand that it's difficult to trust advice from people who don't usually post here. Between the two of us, Claudia and I have cared for about 20 diabetic cats.

Hang in there, Gayle ... it will get better.

Deborah

9. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Gayle, here is the part of the protocol that applies to high/flat numbers on the starting dose:

My interpretation is that if you don't see some yellow by tomorrow PM, I would increase to 1.5 units (nadirs over 300 can increase by 0.5).

eta: there is a possibility that the 500's COULD be pointing out that a break is about to occur, but you'll catch it if it does. If he's yellow in the morning, don't increase yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.