Freeze dried "dog" treat to cat?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by paige, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I babies love the Beefeaters freeze dried salmon. However I did see some freeze dried beef liver in the dog treat isle of Petsmart. Is it okay to give "dog" treats to cats? I know this sounds like silly question but I wasn't sure.

Name: 100% Pure Beef Liver Pro-Treat
    Gimborn Pet Specialties LLC

2. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Anyone given freeze dried "dog" treat to cat?

I do...

They come in bigger packages, therefore cheaper. If the
    piece is too large, just break it up.

3. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

Yes, no problem. I use PureBites, and they even have a picture of a dog on the label. The only thing to watch out for is that the pieces can be kind of big if the treats are intended for dogs. Break them up for cats. Beyond that, freeze-dried meat is freeze-dried meat.

With any treats, read the ingredients. The best ones are pure meat and nothing else.

4. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Oh thank you. I just wanted to be sure. I did go ahead and buy some, but boy are those treat hard. I need to break them up with a knife haha_smiley

5. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I feed mine the Beefeaters Chicken Livers. They are much cheaper than the Kitty Kissers.

My cats love them.

6. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Try Real Food Toppers. They're not hard at all and come in large chunks with plenty of powder for sprinkling on food. http://www.realfoodtoppers.com Pricey, though, but if you buy on PetFoodDirect.com using one of those occasional 20% or 22% off coupon codes it's not too much. Some non-chain pet stores may sell the treats, too.

You can always soak freeze dried meat treats in some water to soften them up and make a little flavored "juice".

7. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

I treat with Dog Treats too.. Baby LOVES the Prime Bites Freeze Dried Chicken treats in the Dog Section of Petsmart - also the Pure Bites (same thing - but different brand - not sold at PetsMart)

8. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Re: Anyone given freeze dried "dog" treat to cat? HELP

Okay I broke up the pieces but I am afriad that Webber did not chew them.. he has not thrown up several times and gotten a couple peices out. BUT HE IS foaming at the mouth when he throws up!!!. Help? Could this be an allergy?

9. Jean and Megan

Jean and Megan Member

Re: Anyone given freeze dried "dog" treat to cat? HELP

My civvie has food allergies, and throwing up is one symptom for him. I haven't seen foaming at the mouth.

Is his breathing OK?

10. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Re: Freeze dried "dog" treat to cat? HELP vomiting and foam

bump

11. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

12. LindaLee & Napoleon

LindaLee & Napoleon Member

Webber's OK

Whew! You need some chocolate or an adult beverage, Paige. :thumbup

13. paige

paige Well-Known Member

He seems to have calmed down. Thank you all for coming to Webber's and mine rescue. I freak out a little bit if you can't tell. Whew! nailbite_smile

14. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Ronnie---silly mommy almost hurt her baby.

Yes I think a drink would be good right about now. I promise not to become the town crier.... :oops:

15. Chris & Mally

Chris & Mally Member

My four kitty girls love the Pure Bites chicken. Mally gobbled a big piece before I could break it up and she threw it up. Now I make sure I break them into smaller pieces that are the size of the old dry treats they used to get.

I tried the Pure Bites fish but the cats won't eat them. The dogs, however, love the fish so they get those. Liv-A-Littles chicken didn't go over well with the cats either. I bought four jars thinking they'd like them but nope, they only like the Pure Bites. So, the dogs get the Liv-A-Littles too.

16. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

@ Chris.. I feel you! I buy & buy the best stuff, but to no avail... they turn their kitten noses up. Sister Sadi (non Diabetic) will be tempted with NOTHING... I have tried everything.. she will only eat premium canned food.. does not even like tuna or treats or anything. Baby LOVES treats.. but is picky too.. LOL

17. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Does any use the freeze dried shrimp or Kitty Kaviar (actually dried bonito flake from Japanese grocery, much cheaper!)? I used to let Tess have them, but not sure now. I also have a lot of dried anchovies, the unsalted ones.

18. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Ann,

maybe start a new thread for ur treat questions - sounds interesting! Ive heard people use bonito flakes, but i'm not sure about the other ones u mention.

19. Chris & Mally

Chris & Mally Member

@ Nicole - good thing I have dogs that are not picky, so nothing goes to waste. One dog in particular is a four-legged garbage disposal so I'm always assured that if the dog treats I buy for the cats are not "good enough" for them, they will always be eaten. :lol:

One of my four cats, Sabrina, is a major beggar for treats and she loved her hard treats like Temptations and Whisker Licken's. She's 13 1/2 years old and after all those years of hard treats, she has finally accepted that the freeze dried treats are the only type that will be given these days. It took a while, but she now likes the Pure Bites chicken.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.