Help needed in Greece Was: Frustrated.....

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Robert and Echo, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert and Echo

Robert and Echo Administrator Staff Member Moderator

This was posted by user marianina in another thread.

Re: Frustrated ..... could you look at my spreadsheet, any i

Postby marianina » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:47 am
    Hi there.please I need help. I don't know what to do with my grammys cat. He suddenly was diagnosed with diabetes after having lost a lot of weight and eating the wrong food (full in carbon) I took him at the hospital and his blood sugar was 550! That was a month ago and they started a dose of 0.038 ml of caninsulin every 12 hours.his blood sugar was going from 550 to 250 and back up during the day. after a week we lowered the dose at 0.028ml sorry I don't know how many units and the bs was doing better (around 250) but at night he started going at 30 so we lowered the dosage more around 0.02 ml twice a day .I forgot to tell you that he was also treated for low potassium, he had 2.6 and we gave potassium oraly for 10 days and it went back up to (normal begins at 3.5).he had stable bs around 120-140 for 3 days and today he woke up with 84 blood sugar and I lowered the dose at 0.015 ml .when I got back from work he had also 84 and at 7 at night that we were supposed to do the second dose he had 86 and the doctor told us not to inject him at all. How should we go on from here? Shouldn't we find a proper dose for both morning and evening? Is it right to skip a dose? Should I lower the dose more?helppppp!

2. Robert and Echo

Hi Marianina:

Your vet was right to say don't inject after those readings. You need to give a little time for each insulin dose change to work. Your numbers aren't bad at all, really. Your experience is typical.

It takes time and patience but the very good news is your gramma's cat is responding to insulin.

Can any European users jump in here and help us out with dosing translations.

We're glad you found us!

Best,
    Rebecca
    Founder, FelineDiabetes.com & FDMB

3. Robert and Echo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.