Virginia: Joey + Moe mom died of cancer! Need a home ASAP!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Denise, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denise

Denise Member

Hi, my name is Joey. I'm a big orange tabby, and please meet my friend and sister, Moe. We have lived with a wonderful lady for ten years, since we were kittens, but she recently died of cancer and her family wants to sell her home. A kind neighbor, Bill, is caring for us now but he is unable to take us after the house is sold and we will have no place to go. So we are urgently looking for that special loving forever home. We would do best in a quiet environment with adults, and we enjoy each other and time to ourselves. We really hope someone would be willing to take us both so we don't have to lose each other too. Mostly we are pretty low maintenance and in good health. However, I do have one special need: I have diabetes and need two shots of insulin every day. Some funding is available to help out with shots and physicals, so we should not be too much of a financial burden to anyone. Our vet is Dr Murphree of the Hometown vet clinic on Franconia Road. With every passing day, our need becomes more urgent, so if you think you could be a parent to one or both of us, please contact Bill B at 703-xxx-xxxx or bahnbp @verizon.net (remove space). Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN) Member

Joey Needs a Home. Moe was Adopted.

I heard from Bill, the neighbor, this evening. He says:

Here's a better quality photo of Joey. What a sweet looking boy. I will try to gather information about his health and behavior and get back to you all with that.

ETA: Bill says he misspoke. Moe's new home is not a foster, but purrmanent.

3. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

Re: Virginia: Joey + Moe mom died of cancer! Need a home ASA

He is such a big, handsome Orange Boy. How can anyone resist him? I have a handsome diabetic Orange Boy named Max. He is the sweeetest cat in the house.
    Please consider adopting Joey! I wonder how long he's been diagnosed, what type of insulin he uses, and how much. Maybe a special someone can get him OTJ.

Praying for a happy ending for Joey!

Hugs and Sweet Headbutts!

Cat, Sweet Max, and gang

4. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

Venita is very clumsy (sorry, Ms. V) with her placements. They tend to break with regularity, you know?

I hope someone can take Joey in...he's a pretty boy, and needs some stability and love...first his Bean and then Moe gone...he needs someone to step in and take him home!

Best-
    Michele

5. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

I do tend to be clumsy and break those diabetic, don't I?

I am really concerned about Joey. I really am not comfortable with him being taken out of the country, and the neighbor Bill sounds like he is concerned too. Joey could fall through the cracks if we can't find him a home. And if he gets broken on the way to his furever home, Mel will tell you, I do offer a diabetic cat replacement guarantee. Mel didn't want to take me up on it though.

6. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Bump

7. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

I have received further info on Joey and have posted it on the blog here.

This is an emergency situation. Even though the family may be willing to take Joey back to SIngapore with them, there is a 30-day to three-month quarantine period, which is spent in a private facility without veterinary oversight. I fear what that type of handling would mean for an insulin-dependent diabetic cat.

Joey's down side is that he is territorial with other male cats. He seems to be OK with female cats and children, and hides from dogs.

8. Diana and Merlin (GA)

Diana and Merlin (GA) Member

I live in the area but unfortunately cannot take one in.

However, depending on the day, I could possibly help with transportation if anyone is interested.

9. cat and sweet max

cat and sweet max Member

Any updates on Joey?

Sweet Max became territorial last year. He still goes after the youngster (female) every chance he gets. Praying Joey finds a loving home.

Hugs and Healing!

Cat, Sweet Max (most of the time), and gang

10. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

No furever home for Joey yet.

11. Diana and Merlin (GA)

Diana and Merlin (GA) Member

Do we know if he is only territorial with other males outside the home or is he territorial inside the home as well?

Does that make sense? Gah.

12. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

The terrritorial question makes sense, but I've learned that what I hear from others regarding a cat's disposition is often different from what I see in my own home.

My most recent adoption was Bean, an FD through DCIN and I was told she had anxiety issues, it might have been separation stuff, Venita would probably remember better than I do. It turns out that Bean has no anxiety at all, she's very relaxed and just enjoys playing with Angel and Lilly Grace. I was told Tucker couldn't be with other cats, that's far from the truth, he loves all the cats and sleeps with them more than me.

13. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

It does make sense, and no, we don't know and I wouldn't know how to check it out. The way I understand is that Joey only has/had contact with cats other than his sister-cat Moe (who is already adopted) when he is/was outside.

I can see it only being an outside territorial issue, but we just don't know.

14. Diabetic Cats in Need (DCIN)

I just spoke to the neighbor's wife about Joey.

It looks like the family is serious about taking Joey to Singapore. They have had blood drawn and sent overnight to Kansas for the rabies titer, and thus been able to have his required quarantine reduced to 10 days. They also are planning ahead to visit him in quarantine to give him his shots SID if the quarantine facility does not administer insulin.

The wife expressed concern about Joey leaving the country, but she feels the family seems serious about it. We also talked about cats going into remission, and the need for the family to hometest blood sugar to achieve that safely. I offered to help teach them how to test. Peggy said she would pass the offer along.

I am taking Joey down off the DCIN adoptables list. I told the wife that if the family changes it's mind about taking Joey, we would still try to find him a home, but the sooner we would know if it is needed, the better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.