PZI monthly cost breakdown - input welcome

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Gator & H (GA), Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I just made a quick SS detailing the expected monthly cost of some PZI insulin per month. You can view here:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... jBPcTN2Wmc

Naturally cost of insulin is an issue for many, and I was trying to illustrate it in terms that might be easiest to get one's head around. Let me know if you have any input/improvements or you see any errors in my numbers [like 400 units in a 10ml u-40 bottle right?].

I was thinking about adding a group for BCP in U-100 strength in doses over 3u/12hr where the advantage of the lower concentration U-40's ability to dose in smaller increments would probably taper off. That would be a pretty small percentage of people though and just might confuse the newbie?

Eventually I see this info making it's way into the Sticky in some fashion. Not sure if I should include it as a one liner in with the respective sourcing info or create it's own post under the Sticky?

As a side note, I did call BCP today and their free samples are for ONLY U-100 strength - sadly they will not do U-40 strength on any sort of special request.

2. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice idea! At a quick glance does the cost include shipping? when I looked up some of the ProZ links a while ago it seemed like shipping was something like $30, making the $120 or so vet charge not as bad as it seems (but I may have missed something)

3. Gator & H (GA)

Yea, includes shipping [I'll make sure that is somehow noted]. And I remember someone confirming that my suggestion to do price matching and use the coupon works at least with 800petmeds for a total price of $95 to the doorstep.

4. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

10ml vial of u40 insulin will have 400 units
    10 ml vial of u100 insulin will have 1000 units
    5ml "free sample" of u100 bcp PZI will have 500 units

u100 and u40 are different volumes, but an equivalent amount of insulin is in each respective unit.
    Animal insulins are u40, human insulins are u100
    (But of course each insulin has unique onset, nadir, duration and properties.)

Prozinc probably works out very cheap for a low dose kitty because it last longer opened than others,
    but levemir works out cheaper for high dose cats because of the cost/unit, and "expiration" isn't usually an issue because its used quickly.

5. Gator & H (GA)

AFIK BCP u100 only comes in 5ml bottles - or at least the one pricing report I have is only for a 5ml bottle.

Thanks for the sanity check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.