DKA/FHL/ETUBE- Garland Updates

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Violet and Garland, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Re: DKA/FHL/ETUBE- Garland Update... Day 5 ICU

I've been following you since the beginning...and I've been telling just about everyone I know your story! We've got you in our thoughts and prayers. You go, Garland!!!

2. Violet and Garland

Violet and Garland Well-Known Member

Another update!

OMG OMG dancing_cat The tech said Garland is doing AMAZING tonight. Not out of the woods yet, but she said so many positive things! flip_cat LOL

She said Garland is being VERY responsive. Purring, meowing, moving around well and hasnt thrown up one single time. This tech was on last night, and told me that last night she was very concerned about Garland. Said last night she was barely moving and was very unresponsive. She said its a complete change tonight!!!

There has been some issues with her BG though because of the eating. Here are her numbers today:

7am 120 // 11am 25 // 3pm 406 // 7pm 223

But she said its an insulin game. Trying to figure out the doses with the new tube, etc...

I asked about visiting again. The first time I did, the tech told me it sometimes makes recovery harder because the cats get over excited and then cant calm down, etc... So Ive been waiting. This one said the same, but she seemed a bit more "depends on the situation" about it.. Im still not sure. I want to see her, but I dont want to hinder her recovery. Anyone have any thoughts on this??

Thank you!!! Every single one of you helped save her life if she makes it through. And you held my hand every step of the way. I will be FOREVER grateful!

3. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Re: DKA/FHL/ETUBE- Garland Update... Day 5 ICU// Its looking

GREAT Report!

Healing vibes continuing to come from North Carolina!

dancing_cat

4. nancy and payne

nancy and payne Well-Known Member

She will make it, SHE IS TALKING!!! she is moving, it sounds really good! So healing vibes from the sometimes foggy shores of San Francisco! Go Garland! we are all pulling for you!!

5. TheresaJ860

TheresaJ860 Member

I've heard it said, (Thanks CarlinSC) ECID, (Every Cat is different,) however, I have to much experience with Christian in the hospital, before he was diabetic. I do live around the corner from the Vet, and have always been encouraged to come visit him. I could tell it made a difference each time. I don't think he ever demonstrated the "idea" that he was coming home, but that he wasn't abondoned; which is how he became ours to begin with.

Now that she is showing improvement, maybe the hospital will allow you to just come and encourage her. Is this her first hospitalization?
    Have you seen her yet?

I'll tell you, it is hard on the mommy! Seeing Christian all hooked up to IV"s, with the cone shaped hat, annoyed at the big dog that hit his head on the bottom of Christian's crate everytime he stood up. But... when his eyes did his lil squint of happiness, it was worth it!
    I wasn't allowed to touch him, hold him, but he knew he was there because we wanted him to be better, and live. I never underestimate what our pet's realize.

I even took a picture of him, :lol: to show him what would happen if he didn't drink enough water. I still show him, even though other humans think I've lost my sanity.

We are still praying for you, it is wonderful to hear the sweet Garland is doing better. I hope you get to see her. Remember though, ECID, and you know her best.

Lots of paws in prayer, and humans too!
    Theresa and Christian

6. Violet and Garland

Wanted to share one of my favorite pictures of Garland when she was a kitten :)

[​IMG]

Thats Connick, my other kitty. They are named after Judy Garland and Harry Connick Jr

7. TheresaJ860

TheresaJ860 Member

Priceless!

8. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Such a cutie!!! and even better, SUCH GREAT NEWS!!!!! Continued prayers for healing for sweet Garland, and patience for you! We over in the Lantus form talk with fondness of our "patience pants" that seem to wear thin when things aren't going our way! Looks like you may have to join the Sisterhood of the Traveling Patience Pants!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

So happy your girl is doing so much better!!

9. Charliemeow

Charliemeow Well-Known Member

It's great to hear that Garland is doing so much better! We're all rooting for both of you!! dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

10. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I don't know what effect visiting might have on Garland, but if it were me, I would visit. When we had a cat in a hospital, we visited twice a day--my husband in the morning and me in the evening. They never said squat to us about the effect on the cat.

I am so glad to hear that Garland is improving so nicely.

Don't worry about the BGs the ER is getting. They are using "R," a fast acting insulin. Garlands BGs will be more stable at home on the long-lasting insulin.

11. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: DKA/FHL/ETUBE- Garland Update... Day 6 ICU// Its looking

Yay!!! Great news!!! Some happy tears here.....

I have never had a vet say not to visit....they have always encouraged it. If it were one of mine I would really be arguing the point.

Also it would be good to watch them tube feed as well if you can manage it. When Reagan had his tube I got a 2 minute instruction on the way out the door. It would have been better if I could have seen how it was done....as it was I had to call several times.

Prayers and hugs !

12. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Everytime I have had an animal in the vet hospital I have always visited. If fact the clinic that I work at part time encourage the owners to visit, and it always seems to help the animals morale...imho. They are scared enough, and seeing a familiar face helps them feel like they haven't been abandoned. Also I know if it was one of my human children, wild horses couldn't keep me out of there.

But so happy to hear she is doing better and talking their ears off....talking is good!

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

13. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Violet, and, of course, you too, sweet brave Garland,

Color me happy!!!!! What a great report!!!!! What a great cat!!!!! What a great mom!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you even begin to imagine the celebrations all over the world when she comes home?

The ER hospital here has a no visiting policy for kidimals in ICU. It's been their experience that when a cat or dog is critically ill, seeing their parent(s) can often have a reverse effect. Meaning, when they see their parent(s), they think they're going home. When they see their parent(s) leave and realize they're not going home, they often become despondent -- which makes recovery harder. If the parent(s) was/were adamant about visiting, the hospital allowed 15-minute visits at three set times a day (think it was something like 11:15, 3:15, 7:15), much like ICU visitation rules in a people hospital.

When Giz was there in ICU for three days, I was lost and crushed I couldn't see her... In a way, I kind of understood their policy. They did let me bring her food (pretty much cleaned out my fridge and pantry). I also called two or three times a day and was always put through to the attending ER vet for an update.

It's your call, Violet. I know how much you want to see her. Then again, you've held out this long... Sigh... It's a tough call...

I do agree with Gail that you get to watch them tube feed her. Perhaps when Garland gets to come home, you can arrange pick-up around what would be her normal feeding time there. It's just a thought...

Our countless hopeful, healing, hungry thoughts and prayers continue for you and your darling little furry Garland.

Much love and countless hopeful, healing, hungry hugs for you all -- and Connick, too,
    Deb and Nikki (you can do it, garland! i believe in you!) -- and, Giz...

14. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Do you have a baby scale at home? Or a pet scale?

When you start feeding Garland at home a scale will help you know if you are feeding enough for her FHL liver to recover. You will want to make sure she at a minimum maintains her weight so that her liver doesn't process any more body fat. A human scale isn't accurate enough. Do you know someone who has a baby scale that you can borrow even?

Don't forget about the assisted feeding site. I really want to push you to join before you bring Garland home in case you need tube support and so you can read the files on fatty liver.

So happy to read the wonderful update. The picture of them as kittens just made my day.

15. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I've been reading but staying silent. So happy to read this. Continued prayers for you both.
    jeanne

16. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

:RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT

17. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

This is so exciting. Garland is doing better. I am so happy for you. Continued prayers for you and Garland.

pattie

18. Jessie's mom

Jessie's mom Member

Just had to come in and check on Garland's progress. So happy to hear she is improving! Many good wishes being sent your way!

19. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I spoke to the IC tech a couple hours ago, and didn't get the best news.

Until tonight, Garland has been doing well with her feeding tube. Tonight she vomited about 5 hours after being fed. She was given an anti-emetic (anti-vomiting) drug and her feeding was scheduled for an hour later. (Garland is now on 6-hour feedings of 20ccs of food. The ER vet started her feedings at 5cc.)

Garland is still on IV fluids and "regular" insulin, and her BGs are now being tested every 6 hours (previously it was every 2 hours). Her BG levels are running in the 2 and 300s. The tech wasn't sure when Dr. Hill planned to switch Garland to her long-lasting insulin, Lantus,

There was no bloodwork yesterday.

Attitude: Garland is lethargic. She hasn't been feisty. She purrs when she is held. She's not talking much, just when she is woken.

Violet--Are you planning to visit Garland at the ER?

20. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Please Violet, see if the er will let you go see that baby! She needs to see you.....just my opinion!
    Good luck! and let us know

21. Violet and Garland

What??? Oh noooooo ! :sad: They didnt tell me any of that when I called last night. Actually the girl I spoke with barely would tell me anything. I called them 2x last night, once at 10 and again around midnight right before I went to sleep. (not to mention the 3 times I talked with them during the day as well) She said things were the same. No vomiting, etc.. I wish they had taken the time to tell me what was really going on :( They also have been telling me that shes been moving around a lot more the last day or two.

I will go up there this morning. Venita, so did they say it wasnt looking good for recovery?

22. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Violet, and, of course, you too, sweet darling Garland,

I think it's wonderful that you're going to visit her this morning. I'm sure Garland's going to feel the same way. You both need a good cuddle.

It could just be a little set-back...

Please know you and your darling Garland continue to be in my heart and my hopeful, healing, hungry thoughts and prayers.

Please let us know how your visit with the furry wonder girl goes, when you can, okay, sweetie?

Much love and countless hopeful, healing, hungry hugs for you and yours,
    Deb and Nikki (i'm rooting for you, garland!) -- and, Giz...

23. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Violet, I talked to Martha about 1:30am your time. I asked about prognosis, and when Garland might be able to come home. She said it wasn't her place to say, and that Dr. Hill might be in sometime today and he would be able to speak to those questions.

She said Dr. Hill would be off all day Sunday. She also though Dr. Hill had talked to Dr. Barger about discharge planning.

24. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I hop you can get up there to see garland .. sounds like she is needing her momma!

25. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Two things.....is her potassium back up and also, she may have gas. I remember with Autumn, New Year's Day of course, took her to ER. She was not acting right with her tube. Loaded with gas....one Gas X down the tube and she perked right back up. Believe they did an x-ray on her.

26. Violet and Garland

Hi. So I just got off the phone with Dr Hill (Venita, I think he said hes gonna call you next)

GARLAND IS COMING HOME TODAY!! flip_cat

He said she threw up one time last night around 1am. But since then has been keeping it all down. He said he has been feeling really great about her progress and the fact she only has thrown up once this whole time is amazing. Said most cats throw up several times after getting a tube.

Shes been switched back to Lantus this morning

Im going up there at noon to pick her up and get all the information for at home care. I am going to sign up for the boards for owners with FHL cats (thanks for the information on that) ((hugs)) Im soooooo nervous about her being here. What if I mess up????

Garland still has a long recovery road ahead of her, but Im hopeful she will be back to her spunky self soon. Thank you to everyone here who donated, all your kind words, and all your support and advice!!

I will be back to post when I get her home to tell you everything they said when I went to get her. :)

27. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Re: DKA/FHL/ETUBE- Garland Update..Day 7 ICU//Coming home to

Big PARTY for Garland in FDMB land !!

You're going home, sweetie !!!

My Smokey would get nauseous and sometimes throw-up if fed too fast
    through the feeding tube.

Watch carefully when feeding...look for licking of the lips, which indicates
    nausea.

If she looks nauseous, SLOW DOWN, the feeding.

I had to put only about 2 cc into Smokey every 45 seconds or so. Every
    cat is different. It took maybe 1/2 hour for each feeding...including
    prep time and clean-up.

But you can't go wrong going very slowly.

28. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I am thrilled with this info!!!

Talk about back flips. flip_cat flip_cat flip_cat flip_cat

Please do spend as much time as you need with the vet tech going over the feeding procedure. And, yes, there often are problems with an E-tube getting blocked. So ask all the question you can.

Welcome home Garland!!!

29. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

Oh my, dearest Violet,

Miracles do happen...

There will be much joyous celebrating around the world today on behalf of your darling Garland's homecoming!

party_cat party_cat party_cat party_cat party_cat party_cat party_cat party_cat party_cat party_cat

Thank you for letting us know, Violet. We are all so incredibly happy for you and your family!

Much love and countless grateful and celebratory hugs for you all,
    Deb and Nikki (yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! connick, you better get ready. she's coming home today!) -- and, Giz, smiling from above...

30. Jessie's mom

Jessie's mom Member

Garland's coming home! Such great news! :D

31. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Thank you Lord! Garland's coming home!!! MamaBean - you'll do just fine!!! You know how to take care of your little baby beans - you'll do this just as well. BIG BIG HUGS!!!

On top of that, it's raining here for the first time in OVER 4 MONTHS! AND our first GREAT-grandbaby is on his way into the world!!! Still has a few hours left before he arrives...poor Mama....

32. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

:RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:
    Hugs to you Violet!!!!
    Hugs little Garland.....!!!!!!
    Welcome Home partying around the world!
    Lori
    and Tom
    Southern California

33. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow!!! Great news!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Maybe the vomiting was a result of the food going in too fast..... Reagan did that once when I did it too quickly.

I used AD with 30cc's of water that I put in the blender and he got the whole thing in one day over 4 feedings, warmed to body temp. Flushing the tube with 20cc's of warm water before and after feeding is important. At first I had DH helping me but after a few days I could do it by myself. Reagan would come trotting up and flop down as if to say "OK fill me up"!

party_cat

34. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Here's what Dr Hill told me this morning that Violet didn't already say.

Garland has had 2 or 3 feedings since she threw up, and is tolerating them well.

Garland will be punky for a week or so. But she will be fine as long as she gets good quality wet food, both by tube and by mouth. Her tube food (Royal Canin Recovery) will be include supplements that Dr. Hill provides.

When Violet goes to the ER vet in 3 hours from now to collect Garland, she has an appointment to be taught how to manage the feeding tube, including clogs.

Violet can go to any vet to have the feeding tube pulled, when it is time to do that. She need not return to the ER vet.

The total cost for this hospitalization is $4650. DCIN already has paid $2200 of that. Collections and pledges to pay DCIN's share have been $2132. (We have $68 to collect to cover DCIN's share.) Any amount DCIN collects over $2200 that is restricted for Garland will go to pay down Violet's $2450 share. This blog page has donation instructions.

35. TheresaJ860

TheresaJ860 Member

Honeslty crying tears of joy! What awesome news! Prayers have been answered, Thank You Lord! Thank you St. Francis of Assisi, incredible joy! :RAHCAT flip_cat :RAHCAT flip_cat bcatrun_gif dancing_cat flip_cat dancing_cat :RAHCAT :thumbup

Lyresa, praying for your grandbaby's arrival and the mama! Thank God for rain!

What a fantastic job with this board, yippie! flip_cat dancing_cat flip_cat :YMHUG:

Welcome Home Garland!

36. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

YAY!! Violet :YMHUG: :YMHUG: What fantastic news!!!!

You'll do great. I am certain she will thrive at home!!! This made the day at FDMB!

37. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Woohooo!!!!!!! Garland is going home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! flip_cat

Aw Violet you'll be fine, just let those momma bean instincts take over and Garland will blossom in your care.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang (Who are all doing The Garland's coming home Dance)

dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat
    Maxwell Musette Amon Ra Patches Bert Casper Myrrdin Angel Duvessa Sophia Tre'Vona Lady Jane
    Grey

38. kse

kse Well-Known Member

GREAT NEWS!

Just sent a donation to cover the remaining portion of DCIN's obligation!

dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

39. nancy and payne

What great news!!! Garland is coming home!!!! sending much love and healing vibes to you!! Violet you will be fine ..... one day at a time! dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

40. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Such great news this morning!! Continued prayers for Miss Garland's steady progress towards healing. As you get settled in, I hope that you join us over in Lantus Land... there is a wealth of information and a truly family type atmosphere. Their support over the past 8 months since our diagnosis has been a godsend.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!!!

41. Violet and Garland

Garland is home!!!

I got her home and it was time for her first feeding when I got here. I thought giving insulin shots were nerve wracking, this was waaaaay worse. It took me an hour start to finish to figure it all out. I hope it gets easier. Im so scared Im not going to do it right and hurt her or something...Not to mention all the medications she is on. Sooooo scary for me

She looks so different. Mostly the thing around her neck is why. But she doesnt have a lot of energy. Very lethargic. She moves around enough to use the litter box, but they did say one of her meds causes drowsiness, so that might be some of the cause. I can tell she feels bad. She is more alert than she was when I took her in though.

Its one day at a time now. I can never express how grateful I am to every single one of you!! Garland and I will always be thankful to you, DCIN and the FDMB ((hugs))

I will keep you updated with daily updates :)

42. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Yes, I think the first time I tube-fed Smokey, it took about an hour.

As I got better, about 20 minutes start to finish.

You have to get everything figured out how to set it up, have everything at the
    ready.

Have everything you need, or might possibly need, nearby....I made up a tray.

One of the first things Smokey did was get up and walk off with the feeding
    syringe stuck into the tube ! I was not prepared for that !

43. nancy and payne

(((((Violet)))) it will be fine and we are here for you and Garland! All our love and prayers are with you!

44. Deb415andNikki

Deb415andNikki Member

Dearest Violet, and, of course, you too, darling Garland,

Homecoming hugs for both of you!! :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

Didn't giving insulin shots become easier? This will too, sweetie. Just think? You actually did it! It's just going to take a little time to get used to.

Karen has a great idea about gathering all you need on a tray. I realize it's hardly the same thing; but, I have all of Nikki's testing gear in a little metal box to make life simpler (and, in Nikki's case, faster...). Just having everything you'll need in one spot will be helpful as well as a time saver.

It's understandable she doesn't have a lot of energy right now. Her little body has been waging war against HL and ketones. I hope she starts to feel better and perks up now that she's home.

And, you, my dear, are a trooper!!! When Garland and your children are resting, you try to get some rest as well, okay? You, too, have been waging a war in your heart being worried, anxious, and on an emotional rollercoaster -- all the while taking care of your family. Please remember to take care of you, too, Violet.

We'll keep you and your darling Garland in our hearts and hopeful, healing, hungry thoughts and prayers that each day she perks up a little more. That each day your heart grows less worried and anxious. And, that soon, you'll both feel like snuggling together again...

Much love and countless hopeful, healing, hungry hugs you, Garland, and your family,
    Deb and Nikki (get some rest, garland. you, too, connick.) -- and, Giz, smiling from above...

45. Karen & Smokey(GA)

When you go to syringe feed her, also have a small amount of her regular food.

Present that food to her (perhaps on your finger tip or in the palm of your hand), and
    see if she will take some food on her own before you
    begin the syringe feeding session.

Note to Violet: one of the things you need 'nearby' is a cloth or paper towel to
    clean your hands on !

46. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

I am crying tears of joy for you Violet...thank the Lord, Garland is home. My first time feeding Harley through his tube also took me an hour (as Karen said it took her). Eventually I was able to cut that in half...you will do fine.

Don't forget, there are a lot of wonderful people here. If you are feeling frightened or nervous about anything, post it, someone will help you. I know there were tons of people to help me with Harley.

Pattie

47. Karrie and Maverick

The thing with FHL is calories so don't use added water for a preflush. This takes up room in the belly that should be filled with food. A good post flush after medication and food will be good enough. 10-15mls I've been on the assisted feeding forum for three years now, plus Maverick had his tube for ten weeks. Join the group and read the files in your free time you will learn a ton.

1. Maximum calories. AD is easy to syringe but isn't the highest in calories. Some wellness brands and recovery diets have more calories. Which means less volume of food is needed for more calories. It is best to blend the food with some water - not a lot. 20mls of warm water to a can. Cold food can make your cat vomit which you don't want a cat doing. They can vomit up the end of their etube, and the calories don't count. So make sure the food is luke warm.

2. Prefill your syringes. Set them upright in a big cup so that the air bubbles rise to the top and you can squeeze the air out. AD doesn't needed to be strained for gritty pieces but other foods especially Recovery and Max Cal should be. You can keep the food warm by keeping them in a cup of warm water while you are feeding. This is an easy way to warm up prefilled syringes that you can keep in the fridge for the day also.

3. Go slow. A ml/cc at a time. Stop for five seconds. And take rests of a minute or two after each syringe. Once you get confident you will know the rhythm that works for you and your cat.

4. Be aware of the vomiting. If Garland vomits undigested food more than two hours after a feeding she may have stomach motility issues. Reglan/Metoclopromide can help with this. Reglan/Metoclopromide will not work for nausea on cats though unless its due to stomach motility issues where it isn't emptying.

Can you please post the medications that she is on?
    I implore you to make sure she gets a liver supplement. This is a must so please ask your vet about this. You can get them online but your vets office should have marin/denosyl or denamarin. Some meds you can disolve and put through the tube, some you can't.
    And FHL is horribly nauseating. We recommend ondansetron/dolasetron for nausea. Nausea isn't just vomiting. Its an overall feeling and an antinausea medication may help her demeaner. My dad had liver disease and he wouldn't eat. He was able to verbalize nausea but your cat can't.

Print this out. Join the Yahoo Feline Assisted Feeding forum. You will be sent five autofiles when you register to start.

It will take some getting used to seeing her with the tube. When her tube finally does get removed... she'll look naked LOL.

48. Karrie and Maverick

Signs of nausea include teeth grinding, lip licking and lip smacking.

49. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I am so very happy to read this tonight :RAHCAT dancing_cat :RAHCAT dancing_cat !!! I have no experience with tube feeding, but there are so many folks here who can help you along the way if you feel things are getting tough.

And, so you know, everyone over in LantusLand (the Lantus ISG group) has been praying and pulling for you guys, too. We're all hoping to see you join us, once Garland is feeling like herself again.

Remember, as long as you have FDMB, you are never alone!

Amy

50. bookw0rm

bookw0rm Well-Known Member

Congrats! :D

51. Violet and Garland

So I just did the 2nd at home feeding. Much better this time around. 30 minutes start to finish. It kinda hurts my hand to push the syringe...I hope its watered down enough

Shes still camped out in a laundry basket of clothes in the closet (her choice spot LOL) She really wants to be on the bed or under the bed. But Im scared she will have a hard time getting up/down if she climbs on top, and then Im worried I couldnt get her out from under it if she were to go under there. So I have her closed off in our connected master bath and closet.

I called the vet bc the medicines are confusing me. She has 5 different ones. One is a gel?? But I cant remember if I give all the morning ones all at the same time, etc... or how to do the gel one at all. They have to call me back (emergency is in)

Her first at home insulin shot is soon. Im nervous about that too. I need some sort of timer or something. I know I will be fine this weekend bc hubs is home to help with the kids, but my weekdays are soooo hectic when im here alone with the babies. Im scared to death Im gonna miss something nailbite_smile

52. kse

kse Well-Known Member

Re: DKA/FHL/ETUBE- Garland Updates..Home after 7 days ICU

You will be Fine!

53. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

when they call back, have a notebook ready with each medicine listed from top to bottom. space them out so you have some note room for each one. ask them when? how much? with other meds or no? with food or no? etc.....

then when you get off the phone, if you doodled or shorthanded the notes, decipher them and write them out clearly on another piece of paper or even one piece per medicine while fresh in your head. then tape it/them to the fridge or a cabinet door or something where they are easily referenced

54. nancy and payne

BREATHE!! you can do this, one step at a time ..... really.

Closing her off is good, you want to be able to get her when you need her. When my Payne was really sick and I was totally confused, I started a journal that I use daily to put all her info in. I now put homemade graphs and phone #'s and anything else that has to do with her, I just used one of my son's binders in the beginning.

YOU WILL BE FINE!! sending much confidence and love your way!

Nancy and Payne

55. Karen & Smokey(GA)

It can get a bit hectic getting everything into her on time.

Make a little list that has the times of day and what is supposed to happen at that time.

Mine had things for 6am, 10am, 2pm, 6pm, 10pm, 2am.

I used an alarm clock for a while.

You can stuff pillows or folded blankets around the underneath edge of the
    bed to keep her from going under there. Yes, you don't want her getting
    somewhere you can't reach her

You can build a set of steps next to bed out of some sturdy cardboard boxes,
    so she can get up there. That is if she chooses to use them. Smokey never
    figured it out..."what's that mom ?"

56. Karrie and Maverick

Does she look comfortable? Breathing okay?

So glad she is home. She's going to do much better at home with love, than at the vets in her cage. You can do this! Go Garland!!!!

57. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

You will be just fine, as suggested, I used a piece of paper for my Gumpy girl, she was on 9 meds a day..... finally, when I had time, I made a small graph in Excell and wrote all the meds down with am/pm times and days and a spot to make notes. I put next to frig. with a pen.
    I would forget if I gave her this or that cuz of the other 2 with needs. I could not remember all the names of the meds either, so I made a chart with med names, and what each one did. I shortened to a=blood pressure and list the actual name of the med.
    I also bought an am/pm pill keeper and would fill the week when the house was quite and I could think for a moment......

YOU ARE GOING TO DO GREAT....BTW...... lots of hugs and lovin come naturally!

58. Violet and Garland

Happy Sunday everyone. Just wanted to let you know how things have been going here at home with Garland :)

She's still about the same. Although the light is slowly starting to come back in her eyes. She doesnt move around much at all, only to use her litter box. She is still walking a bit wobbly too, and doesnt meow or anything either. Which is sad for me to see. She is usually such a talker. The wrap they have around her neck looks really uncomfortable for her. She hasnt thrown up a single time, so thats good. The Dr said she will be like this for at least a week. So Im hoping to start seeing more improvement by next weekend. She perks up when she hears me open Connicks food can, but she doesnt want it if I try to feed her some. She wont drink by mouth either... should I try giving her a little water in a syringe, just to wet her mouth some since shes not using it?

The feedings are going good. It takes me forever only bc i can barely push the food through the loooooooong tube attached to the syringe. Its really difficult. I may start watering it down more, to make it easier. But then I worry she wont get enough of the actual food. We go back to the vet on Wednesday for a check. I may see about adjusting that bandage on her neck...

Her BS numbers have stayed right around the 300 mark. Should I worry about that right now? Connick is still hissing at her. I guess she still smells like vet LOL

Well, I think thats all so far :) Thanks again everyone for helping get her home!

59. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

http://maxshouse.com/Enteral-Assisted_Feeding.htm Scroll down on this link and ask the vet about a high potency liquid diet. Using water to thin food down for an E-tube you end up giving them more water than food. I have always used Clinicare for my 3 E tube kitties. Autumn was on it for 9 weeks.

60. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

61. Violet and Garland

Hey, just wanted to tell you guys I had to take Garland back to the vet this morning. She was breathing funny and just seemed a bit more "out of it" than yesterday. Shes there now. Dr Hill doesnt get in for a couple hours and they wanted him to see her (as opposed to the vet that is there now) So once Dr Hill sees her, he will call me with his thoughts. The techs said it sounded more like congestion than say.. troubled breathing?? Ill let you know what Dr Hill says

Im going to also ask about that liquid stuff instead of recovery. I have a bruise on my hand from pushing the syringe. Even my husband was having a hard time when I asked him to help. Are you sure Im not supposed to water it down?

62. Violet and Garland

Thanks :) I joined a few days ago. Im still trying to figure out how it works... its a confusing website LOL

63. nancy and payne

Hoping everything is okay ..... you should look at the website Hope gave you, it has a lot of good info.

:YMHUG: We are all pulling for Garland and for you to get some rest.

64. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Hang in there Garland, your check is in process and just to amuse your recovery with stuff from the complicated humans world this is the international check procedure and why it is taking so long for your check

1. Human Ann first had to visit one bank holding some money of hers and ask them to send them to second bank of hers which she uses primarily
    2. That transfer took a day
    3. Human Ann had to visit the second bank and fill out a long form for ordering an international bank check
    4. That took 30 minutes and was on last Friday
    5. Second bank can't print these checks on site, duh, it is centralised so the order form has to be sent to Stockholm, which is a very crowded capital city place of the Kingdom of Sweden far away from where human Ann lives, and the check to be printed there.
    6. This is where your check is at the moment, (Human Ann thinks ...) next steps will be
    7. the ordered and printed check will be sent to human Ann after a week
    8. Human Ann then has to go to the post office and send it to you

Sounds complicated, right!?, Simba and Gustav thinks us humans are weird, doing so many weird things and making everything so complicated, when we too can lay on our back all day showing our tummies ....
    or as Human Ann thinks, that US should go into the international banking system IBAN and SWIFT, so we can transfer direct ....

Kisses and hugs from the far away guys Simba and Gustav --- not hitting at you, just trying to amuse you ...
    (get better!)

65. Karrie and Maverick

Did they xray the tube after they placed it to make sure it was correctly positioned?

Is the bandage too tight around her neck? This was a factor in one cat who had a rattled breath.

Any signs of discomfort while you feed her or after? Sitting in a sphynx/meatloaf position?

And what are the medications - again I push you to get anti nausea medication even if she isn't throwing up. FHL is nauseating. I'm not repeating this to annoy you. But it would be like giving you a tube feeding with the flu. Even though you may not be vomiting that is how it feels.

Also look into a rush order of the kitty kollar - it will make a difference in comfort.

The FAF site is a very active group with a ton of info. You can't take it all in I know. I would focus for now on the new member file: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline-Assisted-Feeding/files/New Members/

Also since she has gotten through a DKA crisis you should open a separate post to deal with her Blood Glucose specifically. You want to avoid a second crisis.

Sending more hugs.

66. Karrie and Maverick

Just FYI just in case... the feeding e-tube doesn't go all the way into the stomach. It stops before this. There have been some cases on FAF where vets have placed the tube wrong causing reflux/infection. This is why its important to do a post placement xray.

67. Violet and Garland

Garland is home again. They said her nasal passages sounded a bit inflammed. They just said to continue on with what Im doing. They loosened the bandage for me. He also said I could take the 30CC of food and water it down to 45CC, that way shes still getting the 30CC, but its easier for me to get through the tube. I did that when I got home SO MUCH EASIER!

LOL- Thanks Ann. I needed a distraction :) And thank you again for going through the trouble. It means so much

Karrie-She is on an anti-nausea medication. I will call and ask about an xray.. i never thought to ask...Whats a kiddie collar? She sits in that meatloaf position sometimes... does that mean something bad? She seems fine during the feeding and after.... Ive been reading the files on that website. Its hard to navigate through, but Im learning :)

68. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

Asking St Francis for a special intercession on behalf of Garland, and asking the Blessed Mother to smile on you for being such a good mom! :YMHUG:

69. Re: DKA/FHL/ETUBE- Garland Updates..Home after 7 days ICU

Violet,
    When kitties sit/lay in the "meatloaf" position, it is usually an indicator that they don't feel well. My vet asked about it right after I brought Bob home after diagnosis. She told me that when he stopped doing it, that would indicate that he was starting to feel better. It can also be her communicating that she doesn't want to be messed with "Leave me alone, please!".
    From googling it, it can also be an indication that there might be abdominal pain associated with pancreatitus or CRF. The best description of the position that I could find was "like the sphynx position, except with the head down and dull eyed." It is also associated with dehydration. With all Garland has been through in the past 10 days, if it's just a "leave me alone" pose I wouldn't be at all surprised. But I think the concern might be that there's still something (or something else) going on that is causing pain?

70. TheresaJ860

TheresaJ860 Member

I never knew about this sphynx position, oh Lord my baby Hummer was doing this before he got so sick and went to Rainbow bridge!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.