Zoot! Day 1 - first dose completed!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cinnie Cole, Jun 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Last night our Vet showed us how to administer 1 unit of Lantus to Zoot! 2 times a day (7 AM/7 PM). She said to feed him a little wet food (we use Purina DM) before giving him the dose.

So - it is 7:05 Am and tasks are completed. He was not amused. He wants his food first. :banghead:. So I gave him a little because he was growling at me :((he never growls). Mommy didn't make this a pleasant experience. The place I chose was not adequate for doing the testing. Live and learn. My husband woke up to help and that made it so much easier.

His blood glucose was 323 and I was able to give him the insulin but I think all the conditioning I tried yesterday per Shellie's guidance went out the window and I was not calm enough. Hopefully tonight will be easier.

Thanks for this place to vent share and learn.

2. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

Zoot! Cinnie... welcome :).
    Does not sound like Zoot! likes being on a diet :woot:. He is very handsome :cat:... I have some good news for him! Do feed him before injection, it’s ok as long as while he’s eating you give him his shot. The absolute must is that the test come before food and shot. Food will take 10/15 minutes maybe more to settle in and have any affect on insulin. Again welcome and I am looking forward to watching Zoot!

3. Cinnie Cole

Cinnie Cole Member

Yay! Zoot is ecstatic - I can absolutely inject him while he is eating!

Thanks

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  4. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

I would also take away the purina dm it is high in carbs, take back to vet. Most of us feed our cats fancy feast classics, its also good to have some fancy feast gravies and fancy feast medleys for higher carbs incase u need them to raise BG

5. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

A little trick, train them, test, treat... low carb like purebites, that what I do and now I just shake the test strips and he comes

6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I always gave the shot while Idjit was eating, after hubby helped me test him. Idjit barely noticed the injection, his head was in the food dish!
    We too had to find the best place to test, started out with hubby holding Idjit in hubby's chair. Comfortable for Dad and cat, not for me. We moved to the kitchen, Dad sitting on the kitchen stool, by the counter with the testing supplies and dear Idjit's ears facing the window and the over the sink light. Much better results and much less stress for all of us! I could actually see what I was doing, and with Dad holding and soothing the cat, I had both my hands to work with.
    To give Idjit his insulin, I put a towel on my bed, got the syringe ready, warmed his food and we both went to the bedroom. Dish on the towel, Idjit's head in the dish, I didn't have to bend or contort myself to give the injections. Idjit is not comfortable and won't stay on a counter or a table, but since he has first dibs on any bed in the house, that's where we went. :cat:
    You have to find what works for you, if you can get down on the floor to inject while Zoot! is eating and it's ok with him, or find a firm stable place on a higher level.

7. Autumn'sMom

Autumn'sMom New Member

You got it done, and that's what counts :bighug:
    Even though it may seem unbelievable now, it definitely gets easier as time goes by.

For me, the most challenging part definitely is getting the BG blood sample; Autumn couldn't care less about the actual injection part :rolleyes:

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.