Zobaline...how long to see results?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by pistull, Jun 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pistull

pistull Member

Hello there! For those of you that use Zobaline for your cat's neuropathy, how long did it take to see some results? I am on Day 2 and just curious... I also started him on weekly injections of glucosamine so I'm hoping that between the two, my cat will become stronger in 2-4 weeks. Is that a reasonable timeframe??

Gizzy can still jump, but he started limping and is visably stiff when walking. He also has a tough time laying down.

I hate seeing him so uncomfortable (I also give him a small dose of buprenex for the pain twice/day).

Would love to hear anything else you have tried for neuropathy/arthritis. Thanks!!

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

With Maui it was such a gradual improvement, I actually almost missed it. It took her until she was about ready to come off insulin to see that she was back on her toes.

Think of it like a marathon, you give this methyl B12 to stop the condition from worsening and to improve the condition, it doesn't happen overnight and for some cats they don't improve, but they don't get worse. It really depends on how severe the neuropathy is for how and if the cat will improve.

The good thing is, giving methyl B12 won't hurt the cat, and paws crossed that you will start to see improvement over the next weeks and months.

3. pistull

pistull Member

Thanks Hilary! Did Maui's joints/legs "crack" when he got up and started walking? I'm curious if that is from the arthritis or neuropathy?

4. Michele&Rusty

Michele&Rusty Member

I have Rusty on the Zobaline also, he has been otj since 4/30, and he is back up on his toes, but sometimes I notice his front legs trembling some, as if they are weak. I am still giving it to him, but how do you know when to stop giving it? and if you stop giving it to them, will they go back down on their hocks?

5. pistull

pistull Member

When Gizzy was first diagnosed in 2008, I started noticing the neuropathy and him walking a little flat footed. When he went OTJ, it semed everything cleared up on its own.

He was OTJ for a 1 1/2 years and then went back on lantus last year. UGH. This time around it's MUCH more pronounced. We sold our house and moved into an apt for the last 6 months and he has not been able to get the exercise he was used to. I think that really made it worse. Plus I think he has some arthritis going on too. Fun stuff!!

Not sure how long you should leave him on the Zobaline. I think you will see great things in Rusty now that his #'s are under control! (Fabulous job!!)

6. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Maui doesn't have arthritis so that was not a concern, she was walking flat footed and sliding along the hardwood floor. She also had to stop and rest when going down the hall.

So, when I said she was back on her toes, that is exactly what happened. If you notice how a cat walks - on their toes (almost like they are wearing high heels), so when a cat doesn't walk on their toes - it's noticeable.

I have another cat who has severe arthritis - I haven't heard any crackling, but her problem is the rear legs, hips and lower back.

7. MJ and Gobnait

MJ and Gobnait Member

Hi I am new here and new to feline neuropathy and diabetes but NOT new to feline and equine arthritis. ask your vet for canine adequan. inject weekly for a month and then every other weeks. i can't imagine the cracking is from neuropathy. sounds like the joints need some major lube and thats what adequan will get you. its off label for cats and most vets dont even know about it. great stuff.

8. pistull

pistull Member

Thanks for your reply! I have Gizzy on Adaquan (the injectable type) as well as zobaline. He has had 3 injections thus far and will get his 4th on Tuesday.....after that one, he will be on once per month. I have seen some improvement. Before I realized what was going on and how in pain he was, he had been licking a spot in his "arm pit". I imagine this is where his joint was hurting him. He's been licking that spot like crazy, even now. I started him on Buprenex for pain, but he's just not himself when he's on that med. My hope is that after he's been on the Adequan and Zobaline for a month or two, I can wean him off the Burpenex. However, i was told that he most likely will need the pain med for the rest of his life. We moved into an apartment 6 months ago as an interim between houses and the lack of exercise is what truly has done him in I think. Not sure if exercise will help his condition, but I have him out walking the halls every day - just like a retirement center! It always cracks me up!! I just wish I knew how much pain he was in!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.