Ziwipeak dried food questions - is fat content a health risk?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by WilbursPerson, Mar 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilbursPerson

WilbursPerson Member

I seem to be struggling with a lot of food related questions (see prior posts: 1 and 2). With the MeowSpaces set up, we have been able to separate out our various food issues and cats. Wilbur is OTJ since 1/27/2020: most likely due to coming off steroids and more importantly going 0% carb. Other cats remain on kibble for a variety of reasons - hypoallergenic, complete food refusal (and emotional meltdown of 1 cat when we tried to remove kibble), etc.

We though may have an upcoming 36 hour period where we cannot get anyone to come in and change out/refresh his wet food. On one of my prior posts regarding nutrition, someone recommended Ziwipets which we had to reject at the time due to the mussels (allergy to all fish/seafood with 1 cat) but with the MeowSpaces the allergy risk has really been minimized.

I am trying to figure out the percent carb in the Ziwipet Chicken which is the least risky from an allergen cross contamination standpoint. On Chewy's Q&A, Chewy claims it is 2%. When I do the math, I get 4.7%. When I download the detailed nutrition PDF from Ziwi Pets, it states 1% carbs.

1) How do I know which number to go with? I'd like to go with the manufacturer but is that just wishful thinking?
    2) If it really is 4.7%, that's a huge jump in carb percentage from his current Tiki Tiki Luau. Would that be a huge risk glycemically speaking?
    3) What about the fat content? It's listed at 30% which is a huge jump from all other foods. How concerning is the fat content?
    4) Does anyone use the as their primary cat food?

The last time we asked the vet a nutrition question they recommend Hill's which seems like it has a stupid high amount of carbs in it so I’m not sure posing this question to the vet will be fruitful.

thanks in advance!!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Vets get kick backs from the companies they push. To me thats just not right and not in true interest of any pet. Looks to me like you are "all in" with the diabetes. I'm no way an expert but anyone can see you are trying your best for your kitties health BRAVO!

Si am cat mom and Deb & Wink like this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Don’t sweat the difference between 2% and 5% food. Daily differences in manufacturing process can vary the carb percent from day to day anyway. The fat content will also be different because it doesn’t have moisture compared to canned food.

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Using the 'typical analysis' dry matter data from the manufacturer's website this calculates as 0.7% of calories from carbs. It also seems to have 33% of calories from protein, and 65.9% of calories from fat. That is a higher than average fat content...

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. WilbursPerson

WilbursPerson Member

thanks for the answers guys! Is the high fat content a risk or concern in terms of feeding this to cats? I’m thinking in terms of pancreatitis risk. We can control volume and the calories but I don’t want the fat to be detrimental. Thoughts on the high fat content???

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. Elle D & Hugo

Elle D & Hugo Member

bump as I am curious about this as well. Anyone?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  7. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

The problem with many drys and even some of the canned foods is that they rely on lots of cheap fat to make the food tasty, which cuts down on the more expensive protein. It explains why many cats become kibble addicts, all that yummy fat.

That food would be fine short term, for the short time you will be away, if your sugar cat will eat it. Do make sure you leave extra water out, as Wilbur is used to getting his moisture from his food. I wouldn't consider this food for long term though. Too much fat and not enough protein will eventually have much the same effect on your kitties as it would on a person.

Deb & Wink and WilbursPerson like this.
  8. WilbursPerson

WilbursPerson Member

thank you for the reply!!

Juls and Billy and Deb & Wink like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.