Zithromax

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathie, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathie

Kathie Member

Anyone know anything about Zithromax for treating stomatitis? I read where this is used in Hawaii.

2. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Yes, many have had good luck with Azithromyacin and plasma cell stomatitis ... the biggest draw back for most pet owners is how expensive it is, so call around to your local compounding pharmacies to see if someone sells it cheaper.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I have used it in the past as a little blue pill. The human tablet are 250 and 500 mg which is too much for a kitty. It is also available as:
    ZITHROMAX for oral suspension is supplied in bottles containing azithromycin dihydrate powder equivalent to 300 mg, 600 mg, 900 mg, or 1200 mg azithromycin per bottle and the following inactive ingredients: sucrose; sodium phosphate, tribasic, anhydrous; hydroxypropyl cellulose; xanthan gum; FD&C Red #40; and spray dried artificial cherry, creme de vanilla and banana flavors. After constitution, each 5 mL of suspension contains 100 mg or 200 mg of azithromycin.

4. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

If you are treating a diabetic kitty, the reconstituted liquid has sugar (sucrose) in it...not to mention it is nasty tasting! As Kelly suggested, you can have a compounding pharmacy fill the prescription. It may be less expensive and you can get it formulated without sugar and in a wide choice of flavors. Tinkles is on a long term course of Zithromax, he opens his mouth right up for the chicken flavored liquid. The other drawback to the traditional liquid is that it is only good for 10 days once it is reconstituted...the compounded liquid is good for at least 6 months.

5. Kathie

Kathie Member

Laurie,

Does Mr. Tinkles have stomatitis? Did you have trouble getting a prescription from your vet? My vet won't even listen when I mention something I saw on the internet. Mr. B doesn't have diabetes so that's a plus. I'd like to try it rather than give him another cortisone shot. Thanks for your help.

6. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Kathy, Mr Tinkles is on Zithromax for a chronic URI, not stomatitis. I don't know anything about stomatitis, just about the antibiotic itself. My vet suggested Zithromax to me, after two courses of Amoxicillin didn't clear it up. He is on a 6 week course, so refilling every 10 days was going to be very expensive. A member of this board was using it for a URI also, and gave me ideas about compounding pharmacies to look into. If you need a longer course than 10 days, it's worth looking into getting it compounded.

You might get more suggestions and help if you put Stomatitis in the title of the thread. I'm sure there are members here who have experience with it, and may have other ideas for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.