Zeus update

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by knolet, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

I took Zeus to the vet today for a bg at +6. We tested my meter (175) to theirs (224).... and over the weekend the Vet said that home meters are 100 points higher. So much for that theory, LOL.

I also brought him the spreadsheet with Zeus' numbers. He was so impressed - thanks to whomever created it, and for everyone suggesting to use it! Based on that, he thinks we should increase the dosage 1/2 unit - total of 2 units, twice per day. But I also told him that I wanted to switch Zeus to only wet food (had has been eating a little of the purina dry DM throughout the day, as that's what I had down for Smokey who doesn't like the canned food), and talked about the FF classics. He was OK with it, gave me some info about FF to read. He wants Zeus to be on the new food plus the increased insulin for a week, and then email him the numbers & go from there.

So now I have more questions. If I feed Zeus strictly FF 2 times per day - does he need to eat mid day as well? Sorry, may be a dumb question, but the cats have always just been free fed dry food. And if the +6 is supposed to be the lowest number, does that mean he should eat?

Also, if I now pick up the dry food, how will Smokey be? She's 15 and has been free fed all of her life. I'm going to try to get her to eat the FF too, but so far she's been a dry food lover.

Thanks in advance for the advice :smile:

2. Ry & Scooter

Ry & Scooter Member

Since I can't find your spreadsheet I can't say much about the numbers. But please don't increase the insulin by half a unit and drop the carbs at the same time. That is just asking for a hypo incident. I would do the diet change, wait a few days, and use the data gathered across those days to make a dosing decision. And if you do increase, increase by .25u at a time.

3. PrettyBlueEyes

PrettyBlueEyes Member

You could try free-feeding with the FF, too. Maybe it would make it easier to transition Smokey, if it's constantly present the way his dry always was. I started Leo out with lo-carb wet 4 times a day, but he's currently pretty much free-feeding and he seems to do okay with it. Getting Zeus on FF exclusively could help his BG without an increase in insulin, as was mentioned before.

Is that Zeus in your avatar? Very pretty kitty...it looks like he's smiling for the camera!

Glad your meter is reliable-when I found out that mine was, it made me breathe a little easier. Is the blood sampling getting easier for you?

Kate & Leo

4. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

Free feeding the canned is just as easy and you should have less waste.

If you have qualms about it drying out too much, mix in water. If you think it sits out for too long, freeze it to thaw slowly.

If Smokey still has problems, start transitioning her off the dry and only leave out the canned. They'll eat it if hungry enough (and show their displeasure by clawing something or earping it up in a shoe :lol: ).

5. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

Hello

Just looked in on your post. I wanted to let you know the first cat I ever had in my life was named Zeus. He was a solid grey cat. That was about 30 years ago. Its such a cool name. Good luck with Zeus.

Terri

6. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

Sorry about the spreadsheet, I've been trying to upload it, but it's not working for me. I don't have Excel, I use that OpenOffice thing... the free version. Once I get to the last step, it doesn't seem to do anything for me. I'll keep trying, or maybe see if someone on the tech side can help me.

As for the food, Zeus has been eating 1/2 can of wet purina DM with a tablespoon of FF mixed in. However, as I mentioned, I know he's been eating some of the dry food as well, just don't know how much. I've only been putting out about 3/4 cup. Most of the time it's not empty by morning, but I'm really not sure which one is eating it or how much. I'm going to start picking up the dry and giving more FF. Will it make that much of a difference, since he's already eating low-carb wet? Hope that doesn't sound argumentative, honestly don't mean for it to, just trying to understand. And you've all been so wonderful, I appreciate your patience.

Yes, that is Zeus :smile: He is a handsome boy, isn't he. Thank you :smile: That was before he lost the weight, so his face is thinner now (as is the rest of him), but he does have a smile on. I have a picture somewhere where he really is posing... sitting so pretty.

Oh wow, I was so happy when my meter showed a number less than the Vet's. He had said that it was be 100 points higher +/-. That made me super scared because a few of Zeus' numbers were in the 300's. Getting the blood sample has been easier, thanks for checking on me! He's still squirming, but I think we're getting into a routine.

Thanks for the advice about Smokey too :)

7. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

Thanks Terri... it is a cool name. He actually came to me with the name, but it was just so fitting for him so I had to keep it. Zeus is supposed to be the King of the Gods, but in this house Smokey rules the roost, LOL.

8. PrettyBlueEyes

PrettyBlueEyes Member

Hi Kathie,

No worries-you didn't sound argumentative at all! As far as how much of a difference it will make-I can't attest with personal experience, but my understanding from others is that it varies from kitty to kitty, but it almost always makes a significant difference in the number. I didn't have any problems getting Leo on to wet food, since it is only him and I didn't have another kitty to worry about. He started on the same Purina DM as Zeus, then decided that he would no longer eat it. Not coincidentally, I decided I couldn't spend 45 minutes begging him to eat, so we switched to Fancy Feast and he's done ok with that.

It would be interesting to see some hard numbers on that. Does anyone have a spreadsheet up where they switched to a low-carb diet, and started insulin after BG came down from the change in diet?

Don't you love it when they pose? :razz:

Kate & Leo

9. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Have you tried Option #1 of the SS instructions? You can download a SS template to use right from Google instead of using the download Excel file option.

A. Getting and Using the Template

Option #1: Direct from Google Docs:
    1) Sign into your google account

2) Go to THIS TEMPLATE if you live in the USA. Go to THIS TEMPLATE for a WORLD spreadsheet if you live anywhere else.

Click on "use this template" button.

Then follow the rest of the instructions starting with step 6 all the way to the end of Part B Publishing your SS, aka Attaching to signature : http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18207

10. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

If you need help with the spreadsheet, just send me a pm. (pm button at the bottom LH corner of this post)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.