Zeus - AMPS 115

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by knolet, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

Just when I thought I was going to increase Zeus' Lantus from 1.25U back up to 1.5U and we get a 115 this morning. He's been in the yellow and pink for the last three days, same food, same treats, same times, etc. So if he was that low this morning, I wonder how low he went last night? :? I also think he vomited a tiny bit this morning.... I say I think because he and my other cat Smokey look alike in the dark and without my contacts (I sprang out of bed when I heard it). But he ate his breakfast really well... and no shot.

Happy Monday :coffee:

2. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Vomiting can drop glucose levels by reducing the amount of food in the digestive tract. It may just be a hairball, but could be a warning sign of something else (ex pancreatitis or IBD, both of which seem to occur with diabetes fairly often)

You'll need to hold the dose another 3 days to determine if a dose increase is needed, unless you continue having to skip due to low preshots. If you get an alternating shoot, skip, shoot, skip pattern, I'd be dropping the dose to 1/2 or 2/3 the next time you shoot so you can dose every 12 hours.

4. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

Another food question - I'm currently feeding 4X per day - the total for the day is about 1 and 1/2 cans of purina DM plus 1 can of FF. I'm wondering if I should increase the amount of food, and then maybe feed 6 times per day as he does seem to be still hungry at times. I currently feed at 6:15 AM and 6:15 PM, and then leave frozen food out in morning before I leave at about 7:30 AM and more after the evening meal as well. Today I asked my mother to go to my house to check on him, and he had eaten the frozen food by 9:30 (+3.5) and was licking the dish clean when she walked in. If it's recommended to feed 6 times, I could either feed now (about +7) since I usually come home for lunch, or I could put more frozen food down which if today is an indication would be about +9. Is it good to do that, or would that raise the numbers too much?

His BG right now is 397 at +7. Now I'm afraid for tonights BG test. I haven't seen the number this high ever, even when we were skipping the morning shot a short time ago.

I don't like this dance :sad:

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

With regards to feeding more, how is Zeus' weight doing? If you want him to gain then feed more.

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Was there any evidenc of vomiting, diarrhea, or disinterest in eating to contribute to this morning's low number? If not, I'd drop back to 1 unit.

Until he is on the best dose for him, he will be hungry because he can't use all of what he eats. I'd suggest feeding a few ounces more of the Fancy Feast (because it is less expensive than the DM, and just as good for him)

(Personally, the dance always seemed like contemporary, not ballroom style - erratic as all get out and very unpredictable!)

7. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

I really think it was a hairball - I just looked at the paper towel. I don't think it was food related as he hadn't eaten since about 9:30 the night before. I will keep an eye on him though for any other vomiting.

I was giving him 1U, but it didn't seem to be enough, so I increased it to 1.25U for the past 3 days. His numbers were in the yellows and pinks before and after the increase.

He does need to gain a little, he currenty weighs about 10 1/2 pounds, the vet said he should weigh around 12 pounds.

Isn't that the truth! Thanks for your help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.