Yikes, now what?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jan D & Squeaky, Sep 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan D & Squeaky

Jan D & Squeaky Well-Known Member

Hi Folks,

I successfully got Squeaky's BG reading after (too many) tries, but we got it. Then he promptly went and threw up, and then went to his box and pooped (stinky).

He hasn't eaten much all day. Had some this morning, not a lot.

His reading was 2-1/2 hours ago at 4:30 (it's now 7:00) and it was 266.

One of my coaches said the vomit and poop was because I was so nervous and he responded to that.

So I just had a PT session and I'm exhausted. Our scheduled insulin dose is at 10:15.

Think I can skip the BG reading?

Vet said we have taken him off all his IBD meds, so we might have diarrhea for a while. She didn't say anything about not eating, though.

Thanks
    Jan

PS She said if I thought he was nauseous I could give him 1/4 of a 16 mg cerenia pill, what do you think?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Jan D & Squeaky

Okay, he ate some beef. This cat sure keeps me on my toes!

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, no....a lot can happen in that last hour or 2. I know you're trying your best so please know it WILL get easier. The more you poke, the more new capillaries will grow into the area and it will get much easier to get that blood drop.

I'm thrilled that Heather made it over to help show you some tips and calm you down. Now the important part is to try to stay calm and not let yourself get all worked up again. If you're scared and stressed, Squeaky is going to pick up on it and think there's a reason he should be scared and stressed too.....and that's when things can go sideways.

If you don't get it in 3 tries, give a tiny snack, take a few steps away, take some deep breaths and calm your mind. Sing a silly song. Punch a pillow....whatever works to bring you back to a calmer state of mind....then try again.

Many years ago we made up our own silly song....Based on "The Hokey Pokey"

"You are my Sunshine" is also a favorite.

4. Jan D & Squeaky

Yes I don't feel particularly stressed, but obviously I can't tell that I am LOL.

5. Chris & China (GA)

That's a pretty standard dose for nausea. Some signs of nausea are sniffing at food but walking away, lip licking, drooling.....give the 1/4 tab and give him 30 minutes or so and try offering food again

6. Jan D & Squeaky

Okay so this is curious. He wouldn't eat anything all day long. I tried raw pork, cooked pork. Beef liver/heart. All the things he's been eating. His orijen pork treats. His orijen beef treats. Nothing.

The vet said I could try feeding him egg whites and egg yolks. He wouldn't touch the egg whites. So I just went ahead and ate the rest of the egg myself. LOL

Then I gave him raw beef. He ate all that I gave him, which was quite a bit, around 8:00. After his BG 2 hours later, I gave him another rather full dish of beef, thinking it would last him all night long. He ate all of it immediately, in one sitting. WOW???? So curious. I'm not quite sure what is happening here.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

7. Chris & China (GA)

He decided he was hungry? ;)

But seriously, how long after the PM shot was he so hungry?

8. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh my yes! I use to hum that song to Trouble... I "try" to sing it still today... lol

Jan D & Squeaky likes this.
  9. Jan D & Squeaky

Hi Chris, it was like this. Yesterday he ate some in the morning, all afternoon not a thing. 8 pm, had a bunch of beef. 10 pm BG, followed by a ravenous helping of beef, then his shot (our formula is test, feed, shoot). Over the night, he ate about 3/4 -- but not all -- the beef I put out for him.

I was thinking, maybe there is something in beef, like the red blood perhaps? That he really needed. However it doesn't explain the not eating all day long. If he was nauseous, he wouldn't have wanted to eat the beef. And he had just refused everything else I tried to give him.....

Cats are mysterious!

10. Jan D & Squeaky

I sing Sunshine to Squeaky too, in fact it's our theme song but I change the words so it's not so sad!

You are my sunshine, my Squeaky sunshine
    You make me happy, every day of the week!
    You'll never know dear, how much I love you,
    You're my very special Squeak!

LittleBo and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  11. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks for following us!! And our diabetic adventures!

I had a Physical Therapy appointment yesterday, and whatever she did, it relaxed all of me and I was able to get really relaxed around the BG last night, and help Squeaky relax too. It was so much better. And I think we've got the insulin shots down just fine so we're doing better.

12. jt and trouble (GA)

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww:bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. jt and trouble (GA)

awesome

14. Jan D & Squeaky

Well, that good feeling lasted about 15 minutes LOL. We had diarrhea and vomiting this morning.......... back to the roller coaster and the merry go round!

15. jt and trouble (GA)

SMH lil stinker...Literally.:rolleyes:

Better days are ahead. They have to be comparatively:coffee:

16. Jan D & Squeaky

This is true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.