When to start lowering vetsulin dosage?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Kaitlin Hughes, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Kaitlin Hughes

Kaitlin Hughes New Member

Today is literally the first day that I tested my Oliver and he’s not above 300 before his first shot of the day!! He tested at 230 and then ate a *little* and tested at 261 - do I still give him his normal dose?

For context he was at 334 before his 1.5 units last night, and was at 268 3 hours after. This morning he’s at 230 and 261!

He’s still on Vetsulin even though I expressed that it didnt seem to be lasting a full 12 hours and have been waiting on the vet to prescribe Lantus. This is the first time it has seemed to last, I’m guessing his full switch to low carb this past week has helped too!!!

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Without a spreadsheet and more information unfortunately we can't be of much help, you can start here for how to get the key info together.

But, Vetsulin dose is based on nadir, have a read through this post to understand how we adjust dosing. In short, you reduce the dose if BG drops below 90 at any point in time...but unfortunately we don't if that's happening without a spreadsheet and possibly more testing.