visine safe for cats?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cindy and Tritone, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cindy and Tritone

Cindy and Tritone Member

Tritone has a red irritated eye. She does have a blocked tear duct, for which my vet said there is no fix. This makes her eye watery sometimes. But this is different. With all the snow and more on the way, I can't get her to a vet for the next few days at least.

Is visine safe? Would it bring her some relief? Although it doesn't really seem to be bothering her, just looks like it hurts...

2. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

There are several forms of Visine, so I would have to say "no". Sterile water or saline solution would be a better bet- just to flush the eye, or do warm compresses. And call your vet to see if an over the counter ophthalmic antibiotic (like polysporin ophthalmic) would be safe.

As for the tear duct, is there a veterinary ophthalmologist nearby? It can be an easy fix in some cases, unless there is major scarring.

3. Kira & Max

Kira & Max Member

Please don't use Visine. I'm an optician, just to preface this opinion, but it's not even safe for people with dry eyes. Use sterile saline, or if you want the smaller drop bottle, get something like Refresh Tears, Blink Tears or Systane Tears. You want a formula that says tears, not for redness, itchiness, allergies, pink eye, or severe dry eye, and no gels.

4. Cindy and Tritone

Cindy and Tritone Member

Thank, guys. I didn't use visine, and I should have googled before posting, because there are plenty of warnings. I used the last of my saline yesterday, so for now I am trying to wash it with warm sterilized water. Today we have a blizzard - high winds, white out conditions, and I certainly can't get the car out. Hopefully by tomorrow or Friday I can get to a drug store, or to the vet if necessary.

Meanwhile - the eye looks quite angry first thing in the morning, then subsides later. Do cats get pink eye?

5. Kira & Max

Kira & Max Member

I have no idea if cats can get pink eye--but I do know that dry eyes behave kind of like dry lips. You know how when you have chapped lips, the more you lick them, the worse they get? It's the water that keeps drying them back out too quickly. The artificial tears are like chap stick in that they have more, thicker lubricants. If it were me, I'd probably back off on the water, but I have no medical basis for saying that and haven't seen your cat's eye. I wish I could be more help, maybe try calling a 24 hour emergency vet clinic and ask?

6. Cindy and Tritone

Cindy and Tritone Member

I was just rummaging through my shelf of cat meds and found some Tobrex (tobramycin). It's old. I bet just the fact that it is an ointment would be soothing, but I googled it and looks like there can be some scary side effects, on top of the fact that it is old and who knows if it has been compromised in any way. There are in fact a number of old medications I should probably just discard.

Thansk, for your help - I will back of the warm water...maybe its just best to leave it until I can get some gentle tears. There is no answer at my vet's office - I have not yet tried an emergency clinic..

7. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Yes cats get pink eye. Conjunctivitis. Usually part of an upper respiratory infection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.