Vetsulin storage during power outage

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Rain7, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Rain7

Rain7 Member

Hi everyone, I live in NC, and as we all know, we are about to get slammed with a big old ugly hurricane. In the likely event of a power outage, can someone give me advice on how best to store Vetsulin? I have just a small amount left, and I don't want it to end up freezing if I have to put it on ice to store it cold. I always keep it in the fridge, but should I wrap it in foil and boxes and then put it in an iced container? We do have a generator, which will keep the fridge going for a while, but in case the outage is much longer than expected, I thought I would ask you good people what your thoughts are on this. Thanks in advance!

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I don't have recommendations for storing the insulin, but I sure wish you the best and urge you to be safe as possible during this event. You say you don't have much left, should you get more to have on hand before the storm hits? You don't know how long you might be affected, be confined or what access to more insulin for Jerry is going to be like. Testing supplies and his food also. You don't want to be caught short. Please make sure you have what you need for emergency supplies also, geez, I wish you didn't have to gear up for this.

Rain7 likes this.
  3. Rain7

Rain7 Member

Thanks...He is on a very low dose, so he should be fine as long as it doesn't freeze. I have plenty of supplies for him, too, food, etc. I'm also inland, so hopefully, it won't be too bad. At least I am not on the coast. I appreciate your input, though.

4. Rain7

Rain7 Member

I wouldn't want to buy a whole new vial, and worse case scenario, it freeze, too, and I'm out a new vial. I just have to wrap up the vial I have really well, and then try to keep it cold, but not too cold. That would be the hard part.

5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

@Rain7 hope everything is ok. Please check in when you can

Rain7 likes this.
  6. Rain7

Rain7 Member

I sure will, everything is ok so far, but it has only just begun a very long wet, and windy weekend :/ We have a generator, and lots of ice, so I think we will be ok. I'll be on top of his insulin and care, as always. I gladly sacrifice so much for this wonderful feline friend :) I won't let him down, if it is within my power to do something. Thanks for your message! :)

Kris & Teasel and Sharon14 like this.
  7. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I live in a hurricane zone too, so I know the routine. Stay safe and dry!

Rain7 likes this.
  8. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

Thinking of you & praying everyone there is safe! I wish I had answers for your insulin... stay safe..:bighug:

Rain7 likes this.
  9. Rain7

Rain7 Member

So far so good...We still have power, but tomorrow is supposed to be when it really hits. God will provide, and we have tons of ice, so we'll be fine. Thanks, everyone!

10. Rain7

Rain7 Member

I just realized I already said basically the same thing above...haha! As long as I have my baby with me, power, and the ability to watch TCM movies, I'm good :)

Kris & Teasel and Sharon14 like this.