Vet Appointment Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jajsmom, Jul 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jajsmom

Jajsmom Member

I have an appointment tomorrow for Jasper. Hoping to get his insulin switched. Should I ask for Lantus or Prozinc? Is one easier to dose over the other? Any advice on what to say to them? Should I show them my SS?
    Also noticed Jasper has a 3rd eyelid going on. Gonna have that checked out. Not sure if infection or conjunctivitis.
    Originally wanted to switch vets, but the other one is building a new center and has a two week wait, so sticking with this one for now.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I would go with Lantus if I had to choose because it has the most research proving it's effectiveness and the best statistics at getting cats into remission BUT it's expensive in the US.

Also, Lantus/Basaglar (both are brand names of Glargine insulin) are U100 insulins so you could continue to use the same syringes. If you go with ProZinc, you'll need U40 syringes

Most of us are buying ours from Canada because it's 1/3 to 1/2 the cost, but it'll take about a week to get it. Here's info on buying Lantus (or Basaglar which is also "glargine" insulin but a little cheaper) from Canada

Buy the cartridges or pens....they're the best buy.

Your vet may have ProZinc in the office to sell you (it can also be bought from Chewy for about $107) but again, that would mean waiting for it to get shipped.

So basically, if you want to change insulin's immediately, you'll either have to pay about $290 for a vial of Lantus (half of which you'll end up throwing away) or paying whatever your vet charges for ProZinc (if he has it available there)

Or you could continue with the Novolin while waiting for shipment of one of the better insulin's. You'll can have your vet either fax a script to Marks in Canada (for Lantus or Basaglar IF he has no objection to buying from Canada) or to Chewy (for ProZinc) or you can just ask for a written script so you can do some "shopping around" for the best price. (you can take a picture of it and send it to Marks)

Some vets don't approve of buying insulin from Canada but as long as you can get a written script, that's all you need.

3. Jajsmom

Jajsmom Member

I'm going to ask for a written script. I'll keep him on Novolin until I get it shipped to me. Just afraid of the humidity living in FL. I did hear about some discount card I may be able to get Lantus cheap at CVS or Publix. I'll look into it. TY

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yeah the instructions on Getting the Lantus savings card are in the Feline Diabetes group's Files. Good luck!

Jajsmom and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  5. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

I am a bit late to give my opinion but i would recommend Prozinc if you work and your kit is alone most of the day.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    Elizabeth Edwards likes this.
  6. Jajsmom

Jajsmom Member

@Lalkabee , I sub during the school year. So if I'm gone, it's from 7-2:20.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  7. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

So i guess you can monitor most of the day. Great :)

8. wandcdad

wandcdad New Member

We've used the Lantus savings card probably 4 times over the last 2 years. Each vial lasts us about 6 months. We went to refill this week and the price was $297 (a discount of around $60 off the regular price). I thought maybe the card had expired or needed to be renewed so I got a new one and it still came out to $297. I called up the number on the Lantus Savings Card website and they said that it does not work for pets. I don't know if that's a new policy or not, but that stinks. At this point it's too late for us to order from Marks Marine Pharmacy so we'll have shell out the $297 this time (ugh) and get it from Marks next time.

9. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Go with Marks best deal anywhere.

Patty & Teal'c likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.