Very high numbers for the past several weeks. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Natalie and Ziggy, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Natalie and Ziggy

Natalie and Ziggy Member

Hi, everyone. I'm not sure if I've posted on this subforum yet.

Anyway, Ziggy has been primarily on Friskies Poultry Favorites Pate since I brought him down to live with me in April. As you can see by my spreadsheet, I adjusted his dose over time to see if I could bring his average levels down. For a while, it was working pretty well. However, starting in September, I moved his testing and feeding times forty minutes later to accommodate my new schedule. His numbers just skyrocketed as soon as I did that, and they've been horrible ever since. I tried moving him to Fancy Feast, which was an improvement but financially infeasible for me. Then, just a couple days ago, the vet prescribed him Royal Canin diabetic wet food, which he loves but apparently has higher carbs (and is, again, too expensive).

Ziggy does have very bad teeth, and that's his only other health issue. I don't know if it's just gotten worse since September, but I'm really not sure as to why his numbers have been so bad recently. Does anyone have any thoughts or theories?

If you need more information than what my spreadsheet provides, please let me know!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Moving your testing/feeding time shouldn't affect his numbers if you have a 12/12 schedule. The Friskies pates are perfectly fine low carb wet food options and very budget friendly. The most likely factors are his teeth and his insulin dose. Until you're financially able to address his dental issues they'll be a significant driver of his BGs. I'm certainly not crticizing when I say that - dentals are $$$. I see on your SS that you lowered his dose when he threw you some lows but that's far enough back in time that you can consider carefully increasing again. You can give 2.75 u again tonight and get at least one mid cycle test if you're off today. The longer he stays high the harder it is to get his BGs down because of glucose toxicity (high BG affects his body's ability to respond to the insulin). The way through is by carefully increasing by no more that 0.25 u every 3-4 cycles until you see better nadir numbers. Those are essential in assessing a dose. :)