? Vacation dose suggestion

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by stefania - Noah, Jun 16, 2024.

1. stefania - Noah

stefania - Noah Member

Hello everyone

Noah is having another hypo episode tonight that I think I manage to control ..
    I’m quite frustrated on how his numbers are ALWAYS BOUNCING. I feel I never gonna win this battle … I don’t know what to try anymore

In 2 days I’m leaving for holiday
    10 days ago he was at the vet , the vet told me he had ketones BUT that was never a fact as they never tested his urine and they just saw on the glucose machine the word KETONE that was a ketone warning to check not an actually sign he has them!! once he got back home I check his urine and he didn’t have ketone .

So now he is back to eat normal but I m not sure about the vacation dose

what do you think? I leave in 2 days

2. stefania - Noah

stefania - Noah Member

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

How long are you going on holiday? Will any testing be done or monitoring while you are gone? Who will be giving insulin and have they done that before?

Too bad he didn't earn the reduction a few days ago so we could see how he's doing on 0.75 units.

stefania - Noah likes this.
  4. stefania - Noah

stefania - Noah Member

I’m abroad for 1 week
    My pet sitter can take preshoot test , yes she has done it before, she will be sleeping at my house and if needed she can take some middle test but not guarantee as she won’t be sometimes at home during the day ..

5. Wendy&Neko

Do you test for urinary ketones at home? Has he ever shown real ketones, not just the meter warning? Just wondering if there is any need to worry about them. 0.5 units is easier to consistently dose than 0.75 units too.

6. stefania - Noah

stefania - Noah Member

Yes I did test ketones
    3 times in the last week and they were absent

but I also know they build up very quickly but I have the drip of fluid to do at home now as well in case

7. Wendy&Neko

Has he ever had ketones requiring a vet visit or DKA?

8. stefania - Noah

stefania - Noah Member

That I test he never had ketones no
    I mean never diagnosed! but 10 days ago he was not eating and he had an infection so he had to stay at the vet for 2 days for fluids and he had antibiotics for 5 days

not sure he was in ketoacidosis as the vet didn’t manage to test ketones

but the day he arrive at home I did and there were no ketone

9. stefania - Noah

stefania - Noah Member

I also have his blood test and he had no pancreatitis. Just high white cells that confirmed an infection (probably urine infection) but still not confirmed but after antiobiocs his appetite and normal character are back

10. Wendy&Neko

With a cat that has a history of DKA or ketones, we would be more cautious about lowering the dose too much. I presume he's eating well now and not lethargic? If so, then for safety you could do 0.5 units.

I see he went low just before you want away in April too.

11. stefania - Noah

stefania - Noah Member

You think 0.75 will not be safe ?

12. Nancyco*

Nancyco* Member

I wish I could give advice but I’m sort of new to this and I can’t but I hope you have a good trip and everything goes well with your beautiful kitty .:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. Wendy&Neko

I can't tell whether 0.75 units will be safe. It's been a long time since you've gotten any data on 0.75 units and any data over a couple weeks old isn't worth looking at anyway. 0.5 units will be safer. 0.75 might be OK but I just don't know.

stefania - Noah likes this.
  14. stefania - Noah

stefania - Noah Member

Today I inject a 0.75 and he is going very low very soon after the injection, I’m here feeding him all the time food and checking his glucose to keep him up with numbers so …. I don’t think 0.75 it’s a safe dose for the pet sitter . I may go for 0.50 as you all are saying

15. Wendy&Neko

This is probably the depot from 1.0 unit sending him lower tonight. But you don't want a dose taking him that low as your vacation dose.

16. stefania - Noah

stefania - Noah Member

Ok so I go for 0.50 unit as a vacation dose