UTI in cat

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by kristie alcorn, Dec 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kristie alcorn

kristie alcorn Member

My cat Gracie we found is a diabetic since the end of December of 2016. Well two weeks ago took her in she had a UTI again. She had one several months ago. Well she still has stuff in her urin so she has to go back for another antibiotic shot. More money. Why does she keep getting UTI? I don’t have the money to keep having her tested for her glucose levels & UTI. The vet is wearing us out with money. What are we doing wrong at home with the food?

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The antibiotics shot is not usually very effective for uti. Most vets give clovamax oral meds for uti. They could also do a culture and sensitivity test to determine the most appropriate antibiotic.

3. kristie alcorn

kristie alcorn Member

Ok
    Okay thank you. I will ask her vet about that medicine.

4. JanetNJ

Diabetic cats tend to be prone to uti because of the extra sugar in the urine. Once you get her numbers under the Renal threshold (around 220-250) she will be less likely to get a UTI. The best way to accomplish that is by learning to test at home. If you are willing to learn how we can help you with dosing advice. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC.

Critter Mom and kristie alcorn like this.
  5. kristie alcorn

kristie alcorn Member

Oh that would be wonderful. Taking her in about every 3-6 months for the vet to check her is really starting to become very expensive. And she is always high because she stresses out from going to the vet. And I’m pretty sure she is still high.

6. JanetNJ

Testing at home is less expensive and less stressful for your cat and can really keep her safe. I can't tell you how many cats lives were saved on here because owners home tested and caught hypos before they became serious and deadly. So so many.

I use an Alphatrak pet meter which is great but it is expensive. Most on here opt for a human meter.

If you have a Walmart nearby go and pick up

1. Relion micro or confirm meter (not Prime as it takes too a bigger sample) $18
    2. Box of 100 extra test strips $36
    3. Box of 100 26-28 gauge lancets $3
    4. Cotton cosmetic rounds to go behind the ear

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.