Update , MEME and bossible CKD

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by rawia, Aug 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rawia

rawia Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/possible-ckd-need-expert-openion.231824/#post-2604234

Hi everyone,

so as we descussed before I retest her SDMA and did a urine culture.

the result came back, they told me that there was no bacteria or anything in her urine ans the SDMA was little elevated which is 15, so they think it is early stage of renal desease.

but i want to be sureof this, her first SDMA was in March and came back normal (11) then she had bad gum inflmattion and did teeth extraction in June ( her blood test showed little elevated in creatinie and Bun).

in our last visit to vet to retest her SDMA we did a fast blood test which showes also high Globalin level and she said it could be an inflmation.

Now, is the SDMA an evedince of CKD, I read that the test should be rebeatable at keast three times with blood test to confirm CKD.

another concern , is this short chnange between her first and second test normal??

could this be accute kidney desease or temporary ? I just do not understand this changes in this little period , if she had an early renal failur this should be obvious in her first SDMA test which was this test made for.

now after he teeth getting better i can obviously see her drinking and go to bath room much less .

please share me your openion.

thank you all
    @Sienne and Gabby (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It would be helpful if you could add all of Meme's labs to the tab on your spreadsheet.

How large of a cat is Meme? Gizmo is a big breed of cat. The SDMA can be a little elevated in larger breed cats. Like Meme, his SDMA was at 15 for about 8 months then dropped back to a value of 9. His creatinine was a little above normal but that has been in normal range the least few tests. The only change my vet made was to start him on calcitriol.

You may need to get more than one or two tests to be sure there aren't simple variations in the results. I can't tell from your post how long it was between tests and it can take time for the values to change I would also add water to Meme's food to be sure your cat is hydrated since dehydration can affect lab values and water is good for the kidneys.

3. rawia

rawia Member

She isnot a very large breed , she was about 5 killos before diabetes then she dropped to 4.8 and after her teeth pain she dropped to 4.4, now she starts to gain her weight back, I have a copy of her last blood work ( I will posted on her spread sheet). They did one test before her surgery on June and two weeks later I did another one and last sunday I did the last one, all of them showed same result ( Bun=40, creatinine=2.7), the only different that last one showed high globalin level.

her teeth are slowly healing but little inflammed, vet said that she might need to remove all her teeth at some point to make her feel better but ot is major surgery and she not recommended right now.

4. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

I don't have any advice, I just wanted to say you have a beautiful kitty and she looks so little & sweet.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. rawia

rawia Member

Thank you ❤️❤️

Teresa & Buddy likes this.
  6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

She is adorable isnt she!

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi rawia,

My civvie, Lúnasa, has CKD. In my travels on the interwebz, I came across the following PDF from IRIS. It's handy for reference.

IRIS CKD Staging

Mogs

8. rawia

rawia Member

Actully I was thinking of what can cause this to Meme??! is it possible that what she has is acute kidney failurand not chronic as her SDMA was just fine 3 months before?

the only thing that i can think of that they gave her a lot of convenia antibiotics, before and sfter het tooth surgery. I asked the vet if it is safe to recieve too much antibiotics and she said it is fine as it last only 10 days.

I am just afraid that i caused this to her, i did some reading about convenia and i did not rialize that it is not recommended and not safe for all cat.

could this be the reason ?!

@Sienne and Gabby (GA) please advise

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Convenient can cause kidney problems. However, I would get Meme retested in a few months.

10. rawia

rawia Member

I k
    I kept asking them if giving her that much antibiotic is safe and they said that it is totaly safe and they have cats taking it for 14 weeks with no problem.

I will be very sad if this is really the cause.

her vet told me that we can put her on fluids for 3 days at the clinc.

and she told me not to worry too much as it is not a failur yet , but it is not easy.

11. rawia

rawia Member

So from all this i believe that she still in pain from her teeth and i asked her vet to do another x-rays for her mouth, they need to sedate her for this ? Is that nasissary?

Can not they do x- rays while she is awake?

also she suggested to put her on fluid for 3 days then do the x-ray which i do not know why ?

i start to afraid from everything even the IV fluid

12. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Awwww sending best wishes and healing vines!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.