Tyler is always hungry

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by TrtlGrl217, Feb 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrtlGrl217

TrtlGrl217 New Member

Tyler was recently increased from 3 units of vetsulin to 4. He usually eats about 4 3oz cans of fancy feast a day. Typically, he has his breakfast and shot and then goes to sleep for a few hours. But, about 4 hours later the begging begins and doesn't really stop until about 3 hours before his second shot. He naps a little but if you go anywhere near his bowl he starts begging. I spoke with my vet who suggested I increase to 5 units in the morning but stay at 4 in the evening until we can do another fructosamine test. My biggest issue is that hunger and restlessness are signs of hypoglycemia but also seem to be signs of not enough insulin. So, how do I know which symptoms he is showing?

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

The only way to tell is to home test. It’s easy to do and will tell you if Tyler needs more insulin or is in a dangerous hypo situation. I’m not sure from your post, but if you’re feeding twice a day, try splitting his food into multiple smaller meals too.
    Here’s some info, check it out and come back with any questions you have
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I agree with Sharon's advice to learn to test your kitty at home. It's easier than you think and will give you a lot of peace of mind. Yes, to feeding several small meals a day too. :)

Sharon14 likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness. Going from 3 to 4 units is a huge increase. Your cat may be so hungry 4 hours after the shot because he's dropping too low! Please start home testing today. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home.

Sharon14 likes this.
  5. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

I was sooo worried and nervous to test at home. When the vet told me not to try it myself, I was so relieved. Rufus wasn't getting any better though. I finally bought a home meter and it is one of the best things I have done. After a few days, testing is so simple. All of these diabetes things are part of a routine. Trust me, better for Tyler to get tested at home if you think he's getting too low. Big problems if that happens!

Just curious. How much does Tyler weigh? Is he super active?

Kris & Teasel and Sharon14 like this.
  6. TrtlGrl217

TrtlGrl217 New Member

Tyler is currently 12 pounds. He was a big kitty all his life, typically weighing around 17 to 19. He was diagnosed is March, 2017. We tried to first control his diet, but in October he got a pancreatitis which led to diabetic ketoacidosis and rapid weight loss from 15 pounds down to 10. He was hospitalized for 3 days and then we continued with at home insulin treatments. Started with 1 unit. He hates the vets office so when they would take him for the day to do his curve he would be high the whole day and they didn't know if it was accurate because he was so stressed out. We have since switched to the fructosamine test, but are still having issues getting his dosage right. Tyler is a very stubborn, and not the friendliest kitty. He tolerates me to an extent. I have a home glucose tester. But, anytime I start touching his ear he gets angry and leaves. I have tried multiple times without even having the reader, just to warm him up to the idea of me touching his ears, but it never ends well.

He is active. He will chase mice and his little sister around the house. And, wake up to him yelling at his toys in the middle of the night.

7. TrtlGrl217

TrtlGrl217 New Member

Everytime we have increased his dosage it has been by a full unit. This morning I only went a little above the 4 units instead of all the way to 5 like the vet suggested. He seems to be napping more and begging less.

8. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

I was just wondering cause that is a lot of food! My 21 pound cat eats about 3.5 of those 3 oz cans. Does he like any kind of treats? I've heard that some people give a treat when they do the ear poke. Kind of a trade off. Rufus doesn't really like his ears touched either. I just stick a cotton ball unnderneath and the use the lancet and press the button. Sometimes it takes up to 5 times. After a while, Tyler should get used to it. I'm sure he is not used to you messing with his ears, but eventually he should relax. Best of luck! It'll get easier to do as time goes on!

TrtlGrl217 likes this.
  9. Sharon14

Do you think he would be better if you tested him on his paw pad?

10. TrtlGrl217

TrtlGrl217 New Member

I didn't even know this was an option. I have messed with his paws since he was little to make it easier to trim his nails. So, he does let me play with his feet. He just hates me touching his ears!

11. Sharon14

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.