? Theodore +97 +10 HELP, Theodore went as low as 31 today

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by NadineTheodore, Jun 16, 2024.

1. NadineTheodore

NadineTheodore Member

Hi,

I lowered Theodore lower than recommended as I had a very busy work weekend so I rather him be high then low. To my surprise he's having very very very low numbers even at 4.5 units. Please advise what dose should be tonight. I'm concerned if 4 is even too high.

I was shocked to find him so. low today when I got home, he was acting fine, walking around, asking for food as if he's starving even bit me but now I am worried about tonight and tomorrow.

PREVIOUS POST https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/theodore-6-14-3-221.291111/#post-3186757

@tiffmaxee @Wendy&Neko

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

With SLGS, that low number means an immediate 0.25 unit reduction. I think you'd be fine with 4.0 units. The 5.0 unit depot may still be influencing today.

You mentioned yesterday that he's only been eating wet food lately, which probably contributes to him needing less insulin. What day did he last have the DM (which is high carb)?

3. Wendy&Neko

One option for tonight, if you want to drain that depot is to do a half dose tonight, then 4.0 units tomorrow morning. Note to any lurkers, this is a suggestion for Nadine only, based on what's going on with her cat.

4. NadineTheodore

NadineTheodore Member

It's been over 5 days, I been giving him Dr. Esleys but he's not been eating a ton of it. I gave him some today to try and raise his glucose as he gobbled up all the regular high carb purina I had within 2 minutes.

I will do 2 units tonight.

5. Wendy&Neko

Might want to say something like "stopped DM" on the Remarks section when he stopped getting it. It sure is making a dramatic difference. It can take a few days to totally work out of the system.

When they are low, try not to feed too much food, in case you need to feed him more later. You don't want to fill him up. For numbers under 40, I added a drop of corn syrup to the C, which is pretty quick at bringing them up.

NadineTheodore likes this.
  6. NadineTheodore

NadineTheodore Member

Thank you for the tip @Wendy&Neko . I will buy corn syrup tomorrow. I only have honey on hand but it seems it wasn't working that fast I went in a bit of a panic state. He didn't have any symptoms though. On a side note, is it normal for uncontrolled diabetic cats to experience hair loss. It's very strange/heartbreaking for me to see him like this.

7. Wendy&Neko

He losing hair in any particular location? Not something I've seen as common. But there could be other conditions accounting for it.

8. NadineTheodore

NadineTheodore Member

Primarily back but now it’s working its away to legs. His felv is regressive so he doesn’t have symptoms nor spreading it. It’s doormat. Megacolon is under control.. slight anemia is back but giving pettinic. He does have FIV and one blood parasite left. I am trying to get a urine sample over to check UPC next but I’m not sure that would be related…