? Theodore - 6/14 +3 221

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by NadineTheodore, Jun 13, 2024.

1. NadineTheodore

NadineTheodore Member

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Looks like his nadirs are in the 90-149 range at this dose, which is where you want them to be when following SLGS. Though it would have been nice to know if he went below 117 last night. He's probably bouncing tonight.

3. NadineTheodore

NadineTheodore Member

So no changes with the dose ?

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Correct.

• If nadirs are more than 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), increase the dose by 0.25 unit
    • If nadirs are between 90 (5 mmol/L) and 149 mg/dl (8.2 mmol/L), maintain the same dose
    • If nadirs are below 90 mg/dl (5mmol/L), decrease the dose by 0.25 unit
    As your cat's blood glucose begins to fall mostly in the desired range [lowest point of the curve approaching 100 mg/dl (5.5 mmol/L) and pre-shot value around or below 300 mg/dl (16.6 mmol/L)], do lengthen the waiting time between dose increases. If you decide to change another factor (e.g., diet or other medications), don't increase the insulin dose until the other change is complete (but decrease the dose if your cat's glucose numbers consistently fall below 90 mg/dl (5.0 mmol/L) as a result of the change).

5. NadineTheodore

NadineTheodore Member

Looks like he will need a dose change, I know we reduce .25 units but in this case should I do half unit?...he went really too low @tiffmaxee @Wendy&Neko

Last edited: Jun 14, 2024
  6. tiffmaxee

You in reasec from 4.75 to 5.0 so I would decrease by .25. Congratulations!

7. NadineTheodore

NadineTheodore Member

Thank you. Just got really spooked as he hit 23 less than an hour ago. I panicked and gave him treats, temptations, high carb food and when that wasn't increased I took out the honey

8. tiffmaxee

So you rechecked? Any symptoms? It takes 20-30 minutes for food to effect the bg but honey works fast. That’s super low for the AT. Recheck every 20 minutes. What’s the bg now?

9. NadineTheodore

NadineTheodore Member

No I am using the FSL. I rechecked. He's up to 2.7 now

10. tiffmaxee

It reads lower than hand held meters. Can you do an ear prick? Please give bg in US numbers. I don’t see 2.7 on your ss.

11. tiffmaxee

Your signature says AT3. Would you please fix that?

NadineTheodore likes this.
  12. NadineTheodore

NadineTheodore Member

Just re-checked and he's 2.1....should I give him more honey? What can I do?

13. tiffmaxee

Keep giving hc food and honey until over 50 every 20 minutes. Then go to 30 minutes and if rising to an hour.

14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The FSL is a handheld - it's the Freestyle Lite. He does need to come up more.

Any differences in Theodore's behaviour today, before or after the lows?

Any change in diet lately?

15. tiffmaxee

I was thinking Libre. My bad.

16. NadineTheodore

NadineTheodore Member

No, not really just a little sleepy and drooling in sleep. was licking the throw blanket on my couch...When I brought out the temptations to help increase his glucose he bounced off the couch and chased me for treats.

Regarding diet, I have not been giving DM, he has YA but wasn't touching it and I found some left over Dr. Esleys which I can't even get in Canada anymore...but he's eating that. Also giving him more Weruva BFF because he boycotted the fancy feast. He goes through odd phasing of making my life difficult with food changes.