? Switching to moist food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by AliceR, Jul 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AliceR

AliceR Member

Hello,

I am trying to absorb all the information and we are ready to bail on the Purina DM dry froma our vet to Fancy Feast <=2 g carb options. I want to do it gradually since we are expecting a drop in BG as a result of the drop in carbs plus he got sick when we tried changing his food pre-diagnosis. (And he projectile barfed this morning...) Until I can get to the store tomorrow I gave him tuna and he was very happy!

How would you suggest transitioning from dry to moist safely? I searched first to no avail.

Thanks!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

4. NoahFL

NoahFL Member

Very good that you are home testing! When I transitioned Max from DM dry, I did it fairly quickly and his BG levels dropped nearly 100 points. I slowly weaned him off the DM wet too and now he’s on FF exclusively. Good luck!

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Excellent! Good luck!! Gradually increase the wet and decrease the dry. :) You're doing awesome.

6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I started by mixing a tsp of wet, to a small bowl of dry then. added a teaspoon of wet, every day till there was more wet, than dry, then switched the routine to the opposite till all was wet.
    ugh hope that makes sense:p

GOOD LUCK!
    jeanne

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  7. AliceR

AliceR Member

He loves FF classics and I love the <3 carbs but seriously? 1 can per 3-3½ lbs? Catman has been a 16-17 lb cat forever so that's 5 cans per day? Seems like a lot of food and so many little cans for the recycling bin.

Any other suggestions? I read all 67 pages of Dr. Lisa's helpful list from 2017.

Also, is there anything dangerous about putting out frozen cat food? I think he would eat it frozen!

Thanks for all the encouraging comments!

8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Friskies pates are also low carb, cheaper than FF and come in 5.5oz and 12-13oz cans!

Also, the "feeding suggestions" on most food are wrong. A good place to start is 20 calories per pound of ideal weight, so if 16lbs is a good weight, that's 320 calories per day. Each can of FF is about 85-90 calories so that's more like 4 cans per day.

Weigh once a week and adjust how much you feed based on results!

jt and trouble (GA) and NoahFL like this.
  9. AliceR

AliceR Member

Thank you!

10. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

11. AliceR

AliceR Member

12. AliceR

AliceR Member

13. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

I don't have Aldi here in QC. I wish we had choices like in the US. I tryed Boreal but even if the ingredients are high quality, they are not low carb except for the tuna one (0.5 carb). I still use Fancy Feast for Pie and Purina DM for Bee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.