Switching insulin- Suggestions and Tips appreciated

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Peter (Peeka&Boo), Aug 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter (Peeka&Boo)

Peter (Peeka&Boo) Member

Hey everyone,

If this belongs in another area, please let me know!

Some of you may already know me and my seemingly never ending list of questions and updates. Well we are in the process now of switching our insulin. We are currently on Vetsulin, not by choice, but by vet recommendation from our first diabetic baby Boo. By all accounts he has been looking great as of late, this post is for our sweet girl and his sister, Peeka.

Some background info if it is needed to help make a recommendation. I’m the only one in the house testing currently. My wife is 6 months pregnant, she is terrified of needles and to be quite honest, doesn’t feel comfortable “stabbing” our sweet cat. And I don’t want to put any additional stress or pressure on her at this point. We both work full time jobs, she typically leaves the house around 6:30, and I leave at latest around 8ish, and on Mondays even earlier. We typically will get home around 5:00-6:00 depending on our schedules. Thursday-Sunday I work a part time job and go straight from my main job to the part time so we are unable to get a test in until I get home around 11. Outside of a pandemic, we also have a busy social calendar, so there have been times we have given insulin later in the evening, around 8-9. It’s not every weekend that happens, and if we know we will be out late my wife will get home, give insulin and then we will go on.

All that said, we are looking into making the switch. Can someone recommend which insulin may serve best based on the information above, and how we would go about transitioning over to the new insulin? We are also going to switch to Dr. Elseys dry food at some point this week, not sure if that changes anything, I would assume the dosage would change as we integrate the lower carb food into their current food.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Tagging @Deb & Wink to see if she thinks Prozinc would be a good fit. It has a little leeway regarding shot times.

3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Prozinc is one possibility. An hour or two leeway, is possible with Prozinc. It's best of course to try to keep with a 12/12 shot schedule.
    But some people work shifts, and need to be away from home for extended periods of time, and the 12/12 hour schedule is not possible for them.

Lantus is another possibility. Even though the ideal timeframe is every 12 hours, people have used lantus on a 11/13, 10/12, and even a 9/14 schedule.
    Folks from the lantus forum would be the ones to ask about using lantus on the non-standard 12 hour schedule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.