? surgery in the am...feed+insulin?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sadye claxton, Aug 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sadye claxton

sadye claxton Member

hi everyone!! Bodie has a neuter and dental with extractions in the am. The drop off is between 7-8 am. He usually gets food and insulin at 8am. The instructions from the actual office said I could feed a quarter sized amount with food in the am if needed, but no food past midnight tonight. The vet however said he could have his full feeding (3/4 of a 5.5oz wet food can) at 6am and get his insulin then. I am VERY nervous about feeding him the morning of anesthesia. Wondering if i should just skip food and insulin tomorrow morning to not risk aspiration/him getting sick from eating the am of surgery. thoughts?? thank you! send good thoughts, prayers, vibes whatever you've got for sweet Bodie tomorrow

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Did they give you an idea what timettime procedures will be started? Definitely test in the morning. I know when Witn had a dental I skipped her morning dose. It is better to be high for a short time than hypoglycemic at all. Also make sure the give you something for nausea for him to take home. Sometimes cats can be nauseous after anesthesia.

3. sadye claxton

sadye claxton Member

thank you Lisa. I have no idea what time the procedure will be. She's got all surgeries on the books tomorrow so who knows.
    The clinic also said to pull his water tonight at midnight.
    -Assuiming I need to take his water away too...?
    -I will test in the am, but I'm sure he'll be around 205 or below...how to make the decision to skip or not? I know I have to feed him his 3/4 can of food to give his insulin. But I don't want him to aspirate while under anesthesia either. I'm nervous about that..

We have cerenia at home already. I will ask if another anti-nausea drug is needed

4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

If his levels are where you think they will be, I recommend skipping the dose. He probably will be much higher tomorrow evening and it may take a couple days before he gets back to his normal range.

5. sadye claxton

sadye claxton Member

so skip the dose and food all together if he's in his "normal" range in the am?
    BUT okay to feed and give insulin if he's high?

I'm most worried about feeding him and letting him drink water before being put under...should I pull his water tonight as directed? He loves to drink his water but...I just want him to be okay

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi @Larry and Kitties -

Link page just gives a logo in the middle of an otherwise blank page and a small Microsoft logo at the bottom (as viewed from the UK).

Does the document give info on feeding and water access?

Mogs

8. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for a good outcome this AM.

9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I just clicked on the link and the article opened. I am using Win 10 w/Chrome browser.
    The articler does not mention feeding before or water intake. All my vets have said not to restrict water before anesthesia unless maybe before GI tract surgery.

10. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Send you the material in a DM.

11. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Míle buíochas! :)

Mogs

12. Lisa and Witn (GA)

How is Bodie?