? SubQ Fluids Question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Marc & Jen, Jul 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc & Jen

Marc & Jen Member

Hi All,

We have been administering fluids for FA on a fairly regular basis since November 2019 mainly to help with his pancreatitis.

We administered fluids this morning and he was leaking reddish tinged fluid afterwards - it appeared a little more red than usual and I could see some blood at the injection point. Is this normal? Should we be concerned that maybe we did it wrong? Is it possible to have poked the needle in the wrong spot like in a muscle or something instead of under the skin?

We always administer fluids in his flank but am wondering if we should switch to between his shoulders. He does usually leak fluid and from time to time I have noticed a small reddish tinge in the fluids but they are usually quite clear.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

In all likelihood, you nicked a capillary. It shouldn't be a problem. I was taught to administer sub-q fluids in the scruff.

3. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Same here. When I did it for my late cat, it was twice a day in the scruff

4. Marc & Jen

Marc & Jen Member

Thank you! In retrospect, we definitely panicked a bit too much about the reddish fluids leaking out of him but glad to hear that it shouldn't be a problem. We were taught to administer the fluids on the flank because at the time he had the freestyle libre between his shoulders. It sounds like most people administer in the scruff so we may try switching to that and see if it's any easier.

5. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

It was easier for me because I’d position Deanna in between my legs with her back towards me and I could administer the fluids on the scruff, which was directly facing me. Whatever works I guess!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Flank doesn't have much subq fat. On a previous cat I gave fluids there one day as cat was difficult to give to. Ended up with an abscess in the spot so keep an eye on it.

Ollie doesn't have much scruff so I go a bit off the side of scruff. At times some pinkish fluid comes out when I remove needle. It happens. Usually not a big deal.

7. Marc & Jen

Marc & Jen Member

Totally agree! It is always a bit of challenge to pull up enough skin on the flank. I've watched a few videos on administering in the scruff so depending on how confident I'm feeling we may try that next time.

8. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

I started giving a little lower than the scruff. Once, I just didn't like the way the water lump looked too close to the neck, so I backed up some, about two inches behind the shoulder blades (and from side to side and center). I still go between shoulder blades too. Then I read it was fine to go behind the scruff toward the back a bit, depending on how much loose skin or fat you have to work with.

Did not know about giving in the flank. I'm sorry you saw extra blood and had to be worried. I've been giving subcutaneous (lactated ringers) for only about a month longer than you have, since Oct 2019.
    Give Fat Albert extra lovin's:cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.