Squishy 6/12

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by sugarsquishy, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

well. we just called it a night last night. i was comfortable with going to sleep and squishy is just fine this morning. well he is kinda fine. my little sneaky bad kitty found his bag of dry cat food and has been getting into it. his amps was 461 gave 1u of insulin. will spot check throughout the day and plan on doing a full curve tomorrow. i will try to figure out the spread sheet while im doing the curve tomorrow. im hoping the reason his bg was so high this morning was because he got into the dry cat food and we will be able to get it back down today.

2. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

That dry cat food will spike his #"s like nobody's business. It's a good think you figured it out!! If you have problems with the SS, you can post #'s to this thread until you get them worked out.

3. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Unless you are REALLY looking forward to those spot tests :lol: I'd skip them for today personally. The dry food will have thrown everything off, and the data won't be all that useful. If I really felt the need to get one in I'd go for a +6, but I'd probably just skip that as well. Sometimes the dry food can affect their #s for a couple days, so I wouldn't worry too much even about tonight's PS if it's still elevated some. Then once that dry clears hopefully you will be back on track. The dry can really make a shocking difference in the #s, even just a few pieces can spike them way up. Is he eating ok on canned food? If he's on strike & holding out for dry, you may need to experiment with different foods. They don't call it kitty crack for nothing I guess. ;-)

4. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

He is very good with the wet food. he loves it. i am trying to figure out if i am not feeding him enough though. he is a bigger cat he has some maine coon in him. he eats around 3 cans of the FF a day. is this not enough for him. he does sometimes seem hungry but i dont know if he is hungry and just wants more cause he likes how it tastes. i did do a spot check at around +5 and it was as 252. i thought that drop was a little extreme but i have not done another spot check. he seems fine. his next shot is at 8pm so i will do a ps just to be sure.

5. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

With his BG's fairly high, he's may also be more hungry than usual. I'm a big believer in "if he's hungry, feed him" especially if he's a bigger cat.

6. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

just did pmps 305. gave one unit of insulin. will check at about +4. numbers from earlier today

amps 406
    +5 252.
    pmps 305.

i am a little nervous about the one unit. last night 6/11
    amps 312.
    +3 237
    +5 104

if any one has any input let me know. i am always nervous right now because his ps numbers have been coming down. i know this is a good thing, but i am so terrified of hypo.. haha. promise i will try to figure out spreedsheet tomorrow.

7. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

A mid cycle number of around 100 is a good thing. Will you be around to get a +7 reading also tonight?

8. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

yes i will be able to do a +7, maybe more like +6.5.

9. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

So 1u with a pmps of 305 isnt bad? should i have given less insulin?

10. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

If you are around to test and you have high carb food/karo around, then I would have gone with the 1u also.

11. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Everything looks great to me! As long as the drop from PS to nadir isn't more than about 70% I wouldn't be too concerned. Something around 60 - 65% drop is what you want on PZI. If you get a PS under 250 you might want to shoot a hair less than 1u and get a nadir spot check to see where that lands him. I wouldn't worry too much about hypo - their bodies are pretty smart and if your BG starts heading low it triggers hunger, and then eating will raise it to a safe level unless you really shot a lot of insulin. Of course there is always some risk and it's good to test for nadirs to be sure, but you are no where close to hypo #s so I wouldn't freak yourself out about it. I'm also a believer in feeding whenever they want it, unless there is a weight issue where you have them on a diet. Mine free-feed and no one has porked out on that plan. Once they realize the food is available, the desire to overeat seems to go away and they just nibble as they like.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'd be very pleased with those #'s. and lowering the dose will be more evident if your nadir's are too low, (below 70) otherwise stick with the 1U or skinny 1U if your nervous.
    Looks to be going very well.
    Agree, feed when hungry at this stage since high bg's don't allow him to absorb his food well and then 3 cans of FF sound good. is he overweight now?
    Find a better hiding spot for the 'forbidden' food...I think squishy can outsmart you :mrgreen:

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh and don't forget (I know your nervous) but the goal IS to have him below 100 at +5 or +6 so that is where we want to be ok?

14. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

If Squishy does not over eat then there is pretty much no reason not to free feed. You can add water to the food that is out so that it does not get dry and crusty. Some folks make cat food ice cubes. Anyway you go about it there are ways to ensure your kitty gets enough wet food so there is no reason to leave dry out. If Squishy does overeat then the timed feeders seem to work wonders for those kitties.

According to SACN 4th ed. normal cats should eat 10-20 small meals per day. They only way I see this happening for the domesticates ones is to always have food out for them. For wet food, try the adding water trick.

15. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

+ 4... 146. is this to low of a number for 4 hours after one unit??? a little concerned that it is to low for +4

16. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

Looking good! I know it's so hard not to worry in the beginning, but you are doing great! So relax, and have some chocolate, or a glass of wine.

Here's the info for setting up a spreadsheet: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16
    And for creating a profile: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=531

both from fdmb tech support section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.