Spike 5/27 AMPS 195, .75u Given. Found Vomit on Floor This AM. +7@154.

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lee Renfro, May 11, 2022.

1. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Lee Renfro likes this.
  3. Suzanne & Darcy

It looks like he flattened out in blues (with 20 % plus or minus meter variance). But I can’t see what happened after that.

Lee Renfro likes this.
  4. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

He continued climbing so I gave a skinny full dose of 1.25u. More like 1.125u. I will monitor him until midnight and if he is doing OK, ill have to pass out till 5 or 6am.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  5. Suzanne & Darcy

You are doing a great job! Spike is always full of surprises!

Lee Renfro likes this.
  6. Suzanne & Darcy

I see he did a nice blue surf last night! That looks so good on his spreadsheet!

7. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

He was 159 at AMPS, so per Melissa's guidance he got a .5u dose. I'm threading the needle of keeping him safe from hypoglycemia while giving him sumthing to keep him out of the red and black when I get home

My SS is updated with remarks.

.....ur thoughts?????

8. Suzanne & Darcy

Very nerve wracking! You'll be gone and he will have food out, right? (with all those other cats!) I'm glad you shot .5 per Melissa's idea -- I hope it works for him today. I don't think I'm going to be happy until you get back home and test.... as nice as those blues are to see. I think he should be just fine, but ... just like I did with my own cat ... I worry.

Lee Renfro likes this.
  9. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Nice blue surf! Hopefully he keeps it up today

Lee Renfro and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  10. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Me too. The others r outside for the day. The 2 inside r spike and sophie....he don't like it but that's where the food is and treats...we used to shoot .25u in times like this but he wud b in the black or hi reds when I returned....if he was any lower than 159 I wud have skipped....meter variance and all.

11. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

@FrostD , I hope I didn't screw up this morning. Should I be worried about my lil buddy? You KNOW I'm gonna worry like crazy about my decisions until I get home and see him waiting on me.

FrostD likes this.
  12. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

No I don't think it's that worrisome, long way down to safe territory!

Lee Renfro likes this.
  13. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ok this is looking better!

14. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

He woke me up at PMPS+9 This am demanding food, so got up and fed him about 3 heaping tbsp of 3 carb wet. Then at +12 (AMPS) he was at 145. I didn't feel safe giving a token dose, but you know a ima nervous Nelly when it comes to leaving him alone.

So what r ur thoughts. I gotta learn to do better and get him low and KEEP Him low....but HOW???

I've liked his blue streak but I think I need a new and very comprehensive dosing guide from you. I trust you a great deal and you know spikes sugardance so well. A double THANK YOU.

15. Suzanne & Darcy

Can you please update your spreadsheet when you get a chance. I don't see any tests for last night and non for this morning after the AMPS. If you didn't shoot this morning, can you please put NS in the units column. :)

Lee Renfro likes this.
  16. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

I finally got back home and got it all updated. He is now at 328 @AMPS N.S.+9.75.

17. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I would do:
    • 1.5U if above 300
    • 1.25U (standard dose) 175-299
    • 0.5U if 150-174
    • I am thinking 0.25U if 125-149 but that is totally up to you and comfort level. Looking at today it may have helped hold him down a little bit

Suzanne & Darcy and Lee Renfro like this.
  18. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Thank you.

FrostD likes this.
  19. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Very curious about tonight's PMPS....

20. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

123 retested @121. Decided to skip as I've got to get some sleep and can't really monitor throughout the night.

21. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

He does not want to make this easy :banghead: looks like the 0.5U is too much while you're away and can't keep an eye. I would stick to 0.25U in the 150-174 range, because he's not bouncing as much (which is good!)

Maybe, just maybe, you'll get lucky and get a 150-174 on a day you're home to monitor and can try shooting 0.5U to see what he actually does.

22. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

It wasn't as high this am as I figured he would be. Idk what game he is playing, but unless you see something that concerns you, I'm fairly happy that he is doing what he's been doing. I was scared to even give a drop dose when he popped that 121/123 last night. Idk how low he got during the day yesterday, but I'm assuming he got into the lime green or even the neon green I just gave his poor ears a break from the poking yesterday. He stayed out in the heat of the back porch and I brought him a couple of 3 carb wet snacks which he loved. Hes a good gentleman kitty, them ol ears are getting sore

FrostD likes this.
  23. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

I passed out after last nite PMPS, so I've got no idea what he did. This AM, he was at 121 and I decided against giving a drop shot or .25u. Shouod I have went for it, to try to keep him down today? I won't see him until approx. 5PM today. What say You????

24. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I have to rework your dosing now, he's on a mission! I'll get to it this afternoon before shot time

25. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I would:
    1U above 300
    0.75U if 175-299
    0.25U if 150-174 and not home, try 0.5U if you are home and can test around nadir
    0.25U if 125-149 and home to monitor + hypo kit, otherwise skip anything under 150.

He's doing something here but not letting on what it is, so I will say caution is key here. His patterns are changing.

Lee Renfro likes this.
  26. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

I just checked his PMPS. It is 205 and a 201 recheck. I gave .75u just now and will get a +3 or +4 at least b4 I pass out.

So, what do you think is happening? I can see his patterns are changing also, and am kicking myself for not getting more mud-cycoe data. We have no idea how low he's gotten lately, just the low PS numbers. Whatcha think we are seeing and is it good or bad? It appears that today, he ate the wet that I left for him prolly pretty early today as it was just dry crumbs locked around in his otherwise clean bowl. I'm just guessing on that tho. I'm praying the benazapril is dropping his BUN numbers as my vet said is the desired result, but we shall see in a week and a half or so. Hes got 14 more doses I believe.

I saw your recommendation of (+the hypo kit)!!! Naturally, that makes me nervous to ever think I'd need to need it....is he getting ready to do something drastic???

Thank you so much h in schooling me as I KNOW you are one busy lady on here and with many new kitties. God bless you, ma'am...just God bless you!♡!

FrostD and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  27. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Definitely a good thing! I don't think he's gotten dangerously low, but I do think he's probably been flirting with 50s/60s - hence the 0.5U reduction across the board vs the standard 0.25U.

I'm not sure if he's finally settling down, or perhaps the Benazepril is helping something.

Always welcome! I've actually been taking it a little easy here lately, waiting for the next full moon when we get a round of new cats in rough circumstances.

Lee Renfro likes this.
  28. Suzanne & Darcy

Hi Lee. You are a wonderful caregiver to Spike. So does that mean you are taking Spike back to the vet in about 2 weeks? I am really hoping his bloodwork will be improved. He seems to feel pretty well, though, right?

Lee Renfro likes this.
  29. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

I hear ya. Well, thanks for helping Spike and me. I was thinking that he's been going low and Def out of my comfort level either while I'm at work or asleep...just don't know how low...I'm happy that you say that what he's doing is a good thing...maybe he will get better, require a minimum of insulin, or even better, he'll make all his own insulin soon.

He has been super-hungry lately...nothing new for him, but even more so than his usual hungry self...wakes me up at 6am with a sharp claw to the scalp or the EAR...lol He was on a food mission and demanding some when I walked thru the door today. I know his different meows all to well. Hopefully, he is gaining more weight back and the insulin is allowing him to utilize all the food efficiently.

Once again, thanks for the dosing and I'll stick to it until the next shoe drops...lol

30. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Yes, the Vet said to make an appointment for when he is down to his last 5 or 6 doses of benazapril and we would do bloodsork to see if it's having the desired effect. I am praying hard that it's doing its job well.

Spike is the most laid-back and chill kitty you'd ever meet. Hes always happy but even happier if there might be a treat involved. He is such a little gentleman and loved by all the other kitties here. And yes, he knows he's loved and his buddy's best lil buddy...lol

Thank you for saying that. I would do ANYTHING for these babies...and they know it. My Mom loved each of them and made each h one know they were special to her. And yes, she passed away on her 65th wedding Anniversary April 23, 2020. She said to take care of the kitties and you can bet that I do just that as she would have and did.

31. Suzanne & Darcy

You are such a special person, Lee. I’m just so impressed by your care for Spike and for all the kitties. How you do this with working so hard, I don’t know. I guess we do what we have to, right? I’m sorry your mom went home in 2020. Spike is so beautiful… I guess I should say handsome… but those eyes. I will also pray for Spike’s BUN to be down at the next vet visit. My cat Ginger, who has been on Benazepril, had bloodwork done and her liver enzymes were elevated. I am wondering if it was the Benazepril since it’s mostly metabolized by the liver. My vet says she’s never seen that happen before. I started Ginger on a liver supplement and we have to repeat bloodwork in 30 days.

Lee Renfro likes this.
  32. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Yes, I worry that the Vets don't know what they think they know. My Vet said she had never heard of benazapril temporarily elevating BUN and other numbers before. I told her it's right in the info from the studies...she just looked at me...lol

I'm an only child. My Mom and Dad built this house in 2007 on the land that's been in mom's side of the family since 1859. Mom was born right where this house sits now. I moved out from Dallas area in 2008 when dad's COPD got bad and he passed away here on Dec 1, 2012. Shortly afterwards, I got a divorce and Mom suggested I just move in here with her...how could I say no. Best decision I ever made.

So, I'm familiar with all the routines of all the kitties and we were all a big, happy family here. Now, it's just me and the kitties and we all sort of take care of each other. They are ea h very special to me as they were to Mom. Spike has ALWAYS been a little character though who gets a lot of attention. He's also my best lil buddy and I'm his big buddy....lol

We live in the sticks of northeast Texas. 50 miles sought of texarkana, 23 miles northeast of Marshall tx. 10 miles north of Caddo Lake....the BOONIES. The kitties and I love it and I'd NEVER go back to the city.

I'll be praying for Gingers liver numbers get get back to normal. He makes ALL things possible and He loves us and knows us by name...and He knows we love our baby critters too ..

33. Suzanne & Darcy

Hi there. I'm thinking about you and your little buddy. Don't know why he's so pink lately, but it looks like maybe you were able to get some sleep.

Lee Renfro likes this.
  34. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

I crashed out not long after last nite PMPS. Iam wondering why he has been so high now that his dosages have been reworked...but I'd rather it be higher for a day that down in the lime green when I can't be around to help him.

Did someone go into hypo territory on here last nite...I didn't read it all but I think it sounded scary and was praying for sumones baby.

Well, maybe Spike is just bouncing up high at PS times since I've not been testing during mid-cycle times. Hopefully these reduced doses will have a desired effect soon and he is on his way to more reductions. It was needed since last weekend when he was either getting too low or having very late nadirs.

Hope You and Ginger have been doing well.

35. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I am hoping he's just bouncing and will clear soon. We can technically try a 0.25U increase but I am hesitant given his numbers when he was at the higher dose.

Lee Renfro likes this.
  36. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

My same exact thoughts on that. I'm hesitant and hoping to see him level out soon. But hey, Saturday nite is coming up and he seems to play tricks on that day...lol

Suzanne & Darcy and FrostD like this.
  37. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh my goodness, yes. I was on the computer helping, with two other lovely people, from about 7 a.m. until 2:30 a.m. It was really frightening. In this case though, the vet had given the first shot of insulin to this poor kitty, Merlin. The vet miscalculated the dose and gave about 7 and a half times too much insulin to the cat. That's why it took us such a long time to finally get Merlin back up to his normal numbers.

Hopefully, with the weekend coming up, you will get a better idea of what Spike is up to :) and he won't pull a Saturday Night Special.

Lee Renfro likes this.
  38. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Oh My Goodness!!!!! Was it a miscommunication or did the Vet instruct that Merlin receive that much? Thank God that y'all are here and saved that sweet baby's life. Spike was started on 3u x2/day and it was like 6 days before I found this site and began home bg testing. And now, praise God, he received a .75u dose just now as he was at 190@PMPS.

I'm so glad that tragedy was averted and I assume that Merlin is doing OK now with no I'll effects from the o.d.???

I hope that you and Ginger had a great day. Mine has been about 380 miles of shifting gears from Marshall to Texarkana and back twice...lol

I'm so happy that your hear for us and also for Melissa and her great dosing advice. I think it is helping my lil buddy a lot.

39. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

You tell him I said to hold onto blue!

We have seen some nasty overdoses due to incompetent vets/staff and it is just so incredibly frustrating and disheartening... thankfully this one turned out ok.

There was one cat who instead of 2U got 2 FULL SYRINGES of ProZinc (80U I want to say) while being boarded at the vet, and somehow I have NO idea how survived and made a complete recovery - that's obviously an ER trip, but those are the ones where your heart just drops into your stomach

40. Suzanne & Darcy

Melissa is a truly remarkable person. And she does all this with a husband and a cat of her own and two lovely little kids and another one on the way!

Merlin’s vet did not seem to understand the difference between U-40 and U-100 insulin and the different syringe sizes that are involved. She used a U-40 syringe to have them administer U-100 insulin (Lantus). Anyway, the kitty Merlin is doing great now and we will all help get him better regulated.

You had a long day. Another one tomorrow, I suppose. I hope you have a relaxing evening with the kitties!

Lee Renfro likes this.
  41. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

I just hate hearing those stories. But I'm so very proud of the folks who give so selflessly to help others. And of course I'm always praying for the .

So, shat are your thoughts on whatever it is that Spike is doing? Two days in the 300's then tonite at 190 for a reduced dose of just .75u. I'd love to see this trend continue, but without scaring me...lol

42. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

I truly don't know what so many of us would do without y'all...and I am truly thankful. Spike says that as long as treats are involved, he's down with y'all to the fullest....bahahaha!!!

43. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words Suzanne :bighug: Just here to help because I don't want anyone in the position I started in...which is inevitably I think why a lot of us stick around

I'm hoping he just cleared the bounce and will hold these lower numbers a little longer before bouncing again...I hope

44. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

We may need to adjust the dosing above 200 but let's watch a few more days...

45. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

At AMPS+13 He was at 263 or 274 (variance lol) and I gave him .75u Fat or 1.0u very skinny...I can never seem to get home from my Saturday shopping on time for his shot and the harder I try to beat the clock the slower it goes.

He was at 159 @AMPS+8 today when I got home from work and checked him. I just now updated the SS. Sorry for the delay, but I've been hauling butt getting it all done.

Yes, it seems logical to give him a few days with your most recent dosing advice to see what he's gonna do. Are you seeing anything that concerns you or that you're thinking about. Imnreally curious to see his new bloodwork later this week to see what the benazapril is doing. Gosh, I hope it's doing its job perfectly.

Well, that's my big Saturday nite...put up groceries and take care of the kitties...my, how the once mighty have fallen....bahahaha!!!

46. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Yes these smaller doses seem to be spot on (or rather, as safely spot on as they can be for now). Actually really liking how he does when he doesn't shoot up to pink.

Just looking at the last two yellow preshots, the 0.75U wasn't enough to hold him down....could be coincidental with a bounce which is why I'm saying wait and see. And he gave you perfect opportunity tonight!

Nothing else I'm thinking about, just that he looks really good this past week and I'm glad to see it. Maybe it is the Benazepril helping some way!

Amen, never enough time during the day and I'm not sure what exactly happened to my pre-kids, pre-diabetic cat life lol

Suzanne & Darcy and Lee Renfro like this.
  47. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

I hear ya!

You can see I notated fat or skinny sometimes in the dosage. These larger barreled U40 syringes are just no good for exact fine dosing but I'm trying as best as I can. It's like a one drop difference between a skinny and a fat. And so tonite the .75u is just literally a hair under 1.u. I've played with them until I am blind but it's literally like a one drop difference.

Yes, I'm single, no kids, no exes know that I'm alive (lolol), and live in the sticks. AND I still can't find enuf hours in a day to get it all done efficiently...lol. Now, for an exciting nite of listening for a podcast or sumthing and snoozing until church time tomorrow. Spike and the gang keep me pretty busy these days though.

Thanks for touching base with me. I feel that it's cruising along pretty well and I'd be thrilled if I could keep him in the low to medium blues. Like I said, he fasted all nite last night because he wouldn't come inside from the back porch and I fell asleep and left his butt outside. He had plenty of company though. I prefer that he stay inside close to food if he needs it usually...either when I'm sleeping or away for the day working.

Thank you so very much.

48. Suzanne & Darcy

You are making me laugh, Lee. Sometimes I feel like that as well. But, honestly, I feel pretty good about it!

Lee Renfro likes this.
  49. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

I wouldn't have it any other way...and believe me, it's better and prolly a Lil safer this way. I'm a huge Camaro SS Red Convertible and Red Chevy Vette Convertible guy and my buddies all say that I've got all the ingredients for a good time, but they don't see the trouble I've got squatting down to climb into them these days....bahahaha! So I keep Spike safe ND he is prolly keeping me safe....lolol

50. Suzanne & Darcy

Now I really am laughing. Spike is keeping you safe! Better climb up into a truck instead, I guess. And when you’re at home just chill out with Spike and the rest of the gang!

Lee Renfro likes this.
  51. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

If he is pink at PMPS again I would consider tweaking it to be 1U over 250...

52. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Yes ma'am. At AMPS+11, He is at 256. I gave him 1.5 tbsp of 3 carb wet as he was adamant that he was gonna starve. I walked in the door pretty hungry for a snack myself, so I could relate to him...lol

FrostD and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  53. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Hmm that red this morning is making me wonder how low he went overnight. I don't think too low, I suspect low blue/high green. You may end up with a shot time nadir tonight

54. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

At PMPS he was @376/386 (retest on same droplet), so I gave him 1.0u FAT which I kinda think is almost 1.125u. My goal tonite is to get a +4, but if I start nodding off, it'll be a +3 bg. I know I make it hard for you to help when I'm not gathering data points. Idk if tonite is a bounce or if he is just steadily climbing since we reduced his dosages per the last guide you made for us. And I sooo thank you for it.

The difference between the 1u and the 1u FAT is literally one drop on the needle or about the width of the syringe marking line, if that much.

How has your day/week gone Melissa? And a shoutout to @Suzanne & Darcy too!! I hope y'all ladies have been doing great and the furbabies have been as sweet as Spike but much easier to do the sugardance with...lol

FrostD likes this.
  55. Suzanne & Darcy

Hey, Lee. I’ve been checking in on you and Spike. Looks like you have had a busy week.

Lee Renfro likes this.
  56. Suzanne & Darcy

It’s too bad he’s so high today. I do hope you can get a test before you fall asleep tonight.
    When will Spike go back to the vet?

my furbabies are okay, I guess. One boy cat (who is really sweet) pooped on the carpet last night though ☹️ He has inflammatory bowel disease and he only does that when he isn’t feeling great. He takes 2.5 mg of Prednisolone for it and the vet wanted me to go to every other day dosing. I did that on May 10 and last night he left me a present. Sooooo, it’s back to every day dosing for Bingley. He is supposed to be on a special diet, but with as many cats as I have, I haven’t figured out how to make that work yet! That’s more than you ever wanted to know!

Lee Renfro likes this.
  57. Suzanne & Darcy

Did you get a read on Spike last night? What about this morning? Maybe it’s still too early. Are you on Central time? Anyway, I wish you and Spike and all the kitties a good day. I was just stopping by to look at Spike’s spreadsheet and see how he did.

58. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

+10 He was @252 and I'm about to retake for his AMPS. After typing that to you, I straight-up fell out into the re liner and woke up at 0500 CST. Yep, in East texas cst.

59. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I don't think he's slowly climbing, he's doing pretty well actually. Let's see where he's at when you get home tonight lol

Unfortunately we're sick, I crashed last night. My husband got whatever it is a week ago, so I thought I was in the clear. It's some sort of sore throat/sinuses thing without a fever but it's nasty (ruled out flu and COVID). Kids have it too, but nobody gave them the memo :rolleyes:

Lee Renfro likes this.
  60. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

I agree that he's doing pretty good....I love my lil buddy and i love to see him do well. The red bothered me, but hey, he rides the Rollercoaster. Good thing is that he doesn't go too high for too long and these lower doses seem to be controlling him. I just gotta work on getting nadir data sumhow.

Hope y'all get well soon!!!!

61. Suzanne & Darcy

Sorry y’all are sick, Melissa! Get better!

Lee Renfro and FrostD like this.