Spicy +4 numbers tonite

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by tajana340, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tajana340

tajana340 Member

2. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

Hi David, I just read the Health thread from last night. Some basic information I'm not sure was conveyed to you:

1. Insulin does not begin to work right away. PZI normally takes about 2 hours to show up in the blood stream. But it's slightly different for every cat.

2. Somewhere around 6 hours after a shot, the insulin will peak (nadir) meaning that it is at its most effective and you will see the lowest value in the 12 hour curve. This is the value you should be using to make dosing adjustments.

3. Somewhere around 12 hours after a shot, the PZI will poop out. It's good to get some tests (like you did last night) at around +10/11 so that you know whether you're getting 12 hours of coverage.

There is a food called EVO (canned and dry) that Lucy LOVES! It's kind of high in calories, but it may help stimulate Spicy's interest in food. It's much lower in carbs than the M/D.

Look forward to seeing your posts from today.

Terri

3. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

I agree - Evo is a really, really good food to stimulate a cat's appetite. Cats find it VERY palatable. When I transitioned Stormy Blue to wet foods, I used crushed Evo as a "topping" on top of canned lo-carb wet because he was a die hard kibble eater before going to mostly wet foods. Stormy Blue still receives about 1/8 cup a day of this kibble, but again, he is very, very hard to keep weight on.

Evo Turkey & Chicken Formula Dry Cat and Kitten Food is the lowest carb kibble (7% guaranteed value, about 10% as fed value), that I am aware of but it is really high in calories (not bad with Stormy as he has a hard time gaining weight), but it is something you might want to limit Spice to about 1 tablespoon, total, per day. http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1500

The canned version is also one that Stormy Blue likes and it is 5% in carb values and about 4o calories per ounce. http://www.evopet.com/products/default. ... ga&id=1501.

You will not find this food at the grocery store, or Walmart - I find it online at petfooddirect.com and also at a specialty per store called Canine Commissary, not too far from my house. Petco carries Wellness grain free canned foods that are also excellent choices for a diabetic cat because they are all low carb. (look for the little yellow triangle on the label). The Wellness Core kibble is 12% in carb value guaranteed analysis) and not low enough in carbs for me to trust it as a "snack" for my sugar baby.

~M

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.