GA Snuffles

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Larry and Kitties, Jun 9, 2024.

1. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I said goodbye to Snuffles on June 7. He was losing is appetite At the end his no longer needed insulin. WHich can be a surprise for an acromegaly cat.

I adopted Snuffles as an untreated diabetic on Dec 9, 2018. He was urinated outside the litter box. When I started treatment his insulin needs rapidly increased. Based on my experience w/my previous acromegaly cat, MurrFee, I thought that might mean acromegaly. He was tested for it and the results showed he had acromegaly. I started cabergoline and his insulin needs decreased and stabilized at ~8 units. I could maintain his BG below 130. However, i very very seldom obtained BGs between shots since he was mean and sent be to the dr once and ER another time when ripped my arm even though I was wearing a long sleeve t shirt and sweatshirt.

Because he was difficult to handle I concluded diagnostic tests were not accomplish anything since I could not safely medicate/treat him.

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

Fly free Snuffles and watch over everyone who loves you.

cat_wings>o

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I’m sorry you lost Snuffles, Larry. You really are amazing to have done so much for him when he was so difficult to medicate. I am surprised you were able to shoot insulin twice a day, let alone give Cabergoline. How old was Snuffles? Thank you for taking him and giving him a better life.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I am so sorry that it was Snuffles time Larry. Five and a half years for Snuffles was a testament to your care. Especially given how hard it was to handle him. You gave him the best life he could have.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry Snuffles has gone to the rainbow bridge. You did an amazing job looking after him.

6. Akro Jeanne

Akro Jeanne New Member

I am very sorry that you had to let go your little fighter Snuffles. I find it amazing, that you kept him well for such a long time considering how uncooperative he was. Hugs for you

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’m so sorry! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm so sorry for your loss.

9. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Aww, Larry, I’m so sorry. That’s a long time for an acro cat, and a fractious one at that. Obviously you did a lot right. Thank you for being his safe haven and for caring. Thinking of you.

10. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I'm really sorry for your loss, I'm sending you lots and lots of :bighug: , you did incredible for him