Sad News

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by suite, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suite

suite New Member

Hi All:

I had to have my beloved cat Blue put to sleep yesterday. He went into the vet's on Friday with a very high BG level (600) and received intensive nursing all week-end. Unfortunately, my local vet had to take him to their main office about 30 miles away and I don't drive and the rural bus does not run on the week-end. I couldn't see Blue for 2 days, but got (I thought) accurate reports from the vet...that his BG was coming down, that his temperature was going up, that, though he was depressed, he was improved, though still critical. On Monday I finally got a friend to drive my daughter and myself to see Blue. What I saw shocked us both and struck us both dumb with grief. My beautiful Blue was not "depressed" but semi-comatose. His unseeing eyes were sunkin into his skull, his cheekbones jutted out cruelly. I held him close and he, from somewhere in his dying soul, found the strength to purr. I called for the vet and asked her how she let this happen without telling me. Her response was that she has seen cats come back from being this ill. I tell you, his third eyelid was already over his lower eye and he had no corneal reflex.

Needless to say, I immediately called for my dear Blue to be put down. My vet didn't even come back into the room to administer the injection, but sent a tech. Blue was gone. We held him for awhile then let him go. We are awaiting his ashes return to us.

Both my daughter and I were crying in sadness and anger when the tech came in to assure that we wrote out 11 checks in the amount of $100 each to be deposited every 2 weeks. I couldn't hold the pen so my 16 yr old daughter wrote them as I figured out the deposit dates.

I couldn't believe that my vet put Blue and us throught this hell. I will never trust a vet with a pet overnight at any vet's again and write this first to thank you all who advised me about Blue's diabetes and to warn everyone that you must never not visit your pet while they are hospitalized. We learned the hard way.

2. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

I'm so sorry for your loss and in such ahorrible way.

Lucky too suffered a similar fate as Blue. Yes she had Pancreatitis, they wouldn't let me administer sub q's but agreed to keep her in on an IV-the 2nd day I had to let her go.

I know how you feel, it is so traumatic, please don't blame yourself, you did everything you could and put Blue in what is supposed to be the best place for a sick animal.

I hope in time you can remember the happy times with blue and know in your heart you gave Blue the last greatest gift you could-freedom from pain, to run free and meet up with other kitties at the Rainbow

Fly free sweet (((Blue)))

3. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

My heart is heavy for you & I am sorry to hear your sad news.
    Prayers & Peace to you during this time of loss... wings_cat

4. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

I am so very sorry!
    Now at least you know your Blue is in a place where no pain or illness can ever touch him again.

I hope time eases your pain and allows the good memories to take shape once more

Kimmee

5. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Blue (GA)

OMG I am so sorry! Poor Blue! Don't beat yourself up, you tried and you trusted your vet. Thank goodness you were able to help Blue in the end, and he is now in peace and without pain.

Hugs

Jen

6. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

I am so sorry for your loss.

~M

7. Tina and Regis (GA)

Tina and Regis (GA) Member

Re: Sad News- So sorry for the loss of Blue

I am crying over this. I am so sorry for the loss of Blue. My heart goes out to you. I so understand the bad vets. How insensitive they were.

But you did what you thought was the right thing.You didn't know what they were doing. I'm just so so sorry. You only wanted what was best for Blue.

Fly Free Blue!! You gave your Mama purrs to show her that you loved her and will always be with her. You are now whole and free of pain. You are running and playing at the Bridge. Regis and all the kitties will help you get settled in.

You are now an Angel. Bless you sweet Blue.

Sending hugs of comfort,

Tina, Regis in spirit, and Persia

8. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

Oh my, that is so sad. You thought one thing and weren't prepared for what you had to face. I am so sorry for your loss, but know that Blue is no longer suffering and is running free at Rainbow bridge. Fly free sweet Blue. I am so sorry.

9. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Oh... how sad. I'm so sorry you went through that. You did right by him and you gave him the greatest gift... no more pain. You have that now, and for that I'm sorry.

I hope you find peace.

10. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I am sorry for your loss. Fly free sweet Blue.

11. Mary and Jolly

Mary and Jolly Member

Oh No....I'm so very sorry to hear this. I remember when you first posted about Blue.
    Blue is at the Rainbow bridge and is no longer suffering. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

(((Hugs)))

Fly Free Blue!

12. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

What a horrible story!

I'm so so sorry that it had to be this way.
    Wish you strength for the time to come.

13. Lee and Tida (GA)

Lee and Tida (GA) Member

You were a very good parent to Blue. You did what you could and what you thought was right. Please remember the good times, the good life he had before all this happened. I'm so sorry for your loss.

14. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry that you and your daughter had to go through this tragedy. Fly free, sweet Blue.

15. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

This is such a sad and tragic post - I am so sorry that your beloved Blue and you and your daughter had to go through this. Bless you for letting him go immediately - he is now free of any pain forever and running with the other sweet furry angels at the Bridge. Please don't beat yourself up over this - as soon as you saw the situation, you took care of letting him go - that's all you could do.

My heart goes out to you at your sadness in having to say goodbye - sending many hugs and healing vibes to you and your daughter. I'm so sorry this has happened.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

16. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

I'm so, so sorry for your loss. I'm very glad you were with him when he left, but sorry you had to see him that way.

I hope you find comfort in knowing that Blue loved you and knew how much you loved him.

17. M L and Cleo (GA)

M L and Cleo (GA) Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss of Blue.

Sending prayers for comfort and peace.

18. paige

paige Well-Known Member

:cry: OMG, I am sooo sooo sorry you had to deal with this loss in such a painful way. I pray that you will heal fast....it will be very difficult to get what happened out of your head but time will heal.

19. Sara and Buttercup

Sara and Buttercup Member

my god, something nearly identical happened to me just last week. I just posted about it here. I am so sorry about your cat. It;s not your fault, even if you had been there, as I was, the same thing could have happened. I am so angry and distrustful of vets at this point, I can't even go. I will try to PM you later. thanks for writing this. it helped me to know i wasn't alone in this kind of experience. i am so sorry about your cat. maybe blue and ebony will meet on the other side.

20. rebeccalou

rebeccalou New Member

So sorry for your loss, it sounds like a terribly traumatic experience. Please try to remember how lucky Blue was to have you as a mom. May your years of good memories with Blue comfort you always.

21. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh I am so sorry for your loss of Blues.
    How heartbreaking when we are trusting if other sometimes.
    May he fly freely.

22. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

so very sorry for your loss.

fly free Blue !

with sympathy,

Cheryl and in spirit, Winnie

23. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

What a very stressful and upsetting way for you to have to deal with such a time that was already so sad. I am very sorry for your pain. Blue is not suffering any longer. He is restored and happy in heaven. I pray God grants you peace and comfort.

24. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss, and so sorry it happened this way.

25. BobsMom

BobsMom Member

I am so very sorry for your loss wings_cat

26. Gina & Yittle (GA)

Gina & Yittle (GA) Member

I'm so very sorry for your loss. You did everything you could for your dearest friend, and I'm sure they know that.

27. Caesar's mom

Caesar's mom New Member

I am so very sorry for yo ur incredible loss.
    May Blue rest in peace.
    Gentle hugs to you and your family,

Christine

28. Hawthorne

Hawthorne New Member

I am so sorry to read about Blue!

Just know that you did that final act of love for him and relieved his suffering. That's we have to do for our pets, when the times, show how much we love them by releasing them from their pain.

He is happy and well now.

Remember how wonderful he was and what joy he brought to you!

29. Carol-Charlie

Carol-Charlie Well-Known Member

I'm so very sorry that you had to lose him in this manner. Trust me you did all you knew how to do... and you trusted them... I'm so sorry. I'm so glad that Blue heard your voice and felt your carress... he knew your love for him... and is now with all our little ones.... I'm sick for the manner that this was accomplished and then to add insult to injury to make you right out all those checks... I'd..... I'm.... speechless.

I hold you close, and wish I could take your pain for a time..... this is such sad, sad news.

30. Judy and Pinkie

Judy and Pinkie New Member

I am so sorry about Blue, and I understand how you are feeling right now. I had a little ShihTzu mix that developed diabetes overnight: I took Mr. Snickers to a vet I trusted, and he told me that there was nothing I could do but allow him to go peacefully. I knew nothing about diabetes or what was possible for treatment and trusted the vet completely. Now I know better, and I will never trust a vet to have one of my furkids overnight except in a dire emergency. They don't get the care we can give them at home. Just know that Blue is well, and will be waiting for you when it is your turn to cross the Bridge. Our furkids are so loyal and loving: just remember all the wonderful times you had with this beautiful baby. You did the best you could for him, and he knows that!

31. velma & pooka

velma & pooka Member

I'm so sorry for your loss and the trauma that you experienced. I'm sorry that you had to go through this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.