Remission?

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Rachel Dickinson, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Rachel Dickinson

Rachel Dickinson New Member

We have been diagnosed a little over 2 weeks ago. It's been 5 days since I had to give Jax his last dose of insulin. I even got a second meter to double check. I'm wondering if this means his body is in remission? Is his BS being in the 60-70s okay?

Nicki & Marcus and Don & Tigger like this.
  2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Jax is looking GREAT! Remission is based on 14 days without insulin with the majority of BG tests between 50 and 80. It's Ok for the odd BG to be above 80 up to 120 but if you get a higher BG, feed Jax and then check BG again a couple/three hours later to see if the BG has come back down to good levels. If it has, his pancreas is working and you continue with the OTJ (off the juice) trial.
    If Jax goes the 14 consecutive days without insulin, he is in remission which means he is still diabetic but diet controlled so don't ease up on the carb levels or revert back to dry food if that was in his past diet. Check Jax a minimum of once weekly for a month or two and then at least monthly to make sure that you catch it early if he seems to falling out of remission.
    Keep us posted. You might want to join us over on ProZinc and we'll cheer you and Jax on! ;)We love celebrating kitties that go off the juice!:joyful:
    This particular forum doesn't get much traffic.