? Remission? No insulin in over a week

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by picklesmom, Aug 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. picklesmom

picklesmom Member

Spreadsheet is up to date. I posted last week and got a lot of good advice. I have an appointment With a new vet next week, but wondering if we’re heading towards remission. And how do we maintain it?

2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Looks like you're on an Off The Juice trial already! You lucky duck! ;)

This is copied from another post for an OTJ trial:

1. Test at your normal AMPS and PMPS times. Feed multiple small meals throughout the day as much as possible (small meals are less likely to overwhelm a newly functioning pancreas). The morning test is now called the AMBG. The evening test is now called the PMBG.

2. If your cat is green (0-99 mg/dL human meter, 0-130 mg/dL pet meter, 0-5.5 mmol/L) at your normal test times, no need to test further until the next "PS" time, just feed small meals and go about your day. If the numbers are blue or higher (100-199 human meter, 130-230 petmeter, 5.5-11 mmol/L), feed a small meal and test again after about 3 hours. Food raises BG's. So if the number is lower 3-4 hours after a meal, then the pancreas is working!

3. Your cat may have a sporadic blue number. Don't panic but post before you decide whether to shoot so we can have a discussion.

4. After 2 weeks, 14 full days, if everything is looking good, we have a party!

Normally you wouldn't start a trial until Pickles is showing all greens (numbers under 130 on Alphatrak) for at least a week but Pickles has barely been on insulin to begin with, so the rules may be a little looser with him.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I'd suggest doing a few more tests at different times over the next 7 days. In particular check Pickles about 1 hour after he eats to make sure that any food spikes are still in the normal reference range.

Fingers paws crossed in the Shire... :nailbiting:

Mogs

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.