questions about Fancy Feast ($4.25 off @Costco)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mimi1997, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mimi1997

mimi1997 Member

I never fed my cat FF before. They are all over 9% carb from Janet & Binky's list.
    But I found many FDMB members feed cats with FF, many of FF are under 5% at some spreadsheet notes, like Chicken & Beef, Fish & shrimp.
    Some says get the classic ones. But I looked at the piles of different FF cans that are not on the list--- confused.

How about these FF at Costco? Coupon for FF from tomorrow.
    Three packages: classic (seafood?) Grilled (poultry & beef feast), and another box in blue-- don't know what it is...

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I usually find that the collections at Costco are NOT the low carb flavors.

The Fancy Feast names can be very confusing --

The CLASSIC xxx FEAST flavors are usually the lowest carb -- OK

(I usually buy chopped grill, liver & chicken, chicken, turkey & giblets)

Be careful though, because some are xxx FEAST WITH GRAVY -- high carb

The SLICED flavors usually have gravy - high carb

The MINCED flavors usually have gravy - high carb

The CHUNKY flavors usually have gravy - high carb

The FLAKED flavors might be ok, but I don't buy fish - one of my cats is allergic.

Hope this helps -- as I said -- usually the big combination packs are mostly high carb flavors.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

It may be helpful to look at the Fancy Feast web site and notice the can markings so you can spot the ones you want when you go to shop.

Fancy Feast web site

I mix the Fancy Feast Elegant Medleys Shredded Lean Turkey Fare w/ GrdGrns (9% carb) in with Special Kitty&/or Friskies Turkey pate versions if I need to encourage more eating.

5. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

The lower carb FF is on Binky's list as well they are just under the older canned food list not the new list. Personally I don't use it so not sure off hand which are which. With 10 cats, 3oz cans just don't cut it here..lol

Mel

6. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

@ Mel -- even with 4 cats eating the low carb canned -- I only give FF as an occasional treat -- got tired of popping 8 or so cans per day. We get Wellness in the 12.5oz cans

7. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

lol Oh I know that feeling but I would love to only pop 8 cans a day, here it is 12 for the kitties and 4 for the drooler. Since the kitties switched to canned the drooler demands wet now too...lol. Wish I could find Wellness here in the big cans, but alas the best this half a horse town has to offer is Special Kitty in the big cans and not a single one will touch it...Of course not as it would be less work for mom, and we can't have that!

Nearest Petsmart is 200 miles away, nearest Costco about 45 miles away, so if not Wal-Mart or K-Mart I'm stuck.

Mel

8. mimi1997

mimi1997 Member

Wow, with pictures! Thanks! FF's menu is way too big.

9. mimi1997

mimi1997 Member

umm... it looks like these FF at Costco are not good ones to buy..

10. mimi1997

mimi1997 Member

keep popping 3oz cans is not even for one bigger cat.I feel like that I have a hungry monster in my house...

11. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

The FF Chunky are actually not in gravy, there is just chunks mixed in with the classic patte. The Chunky Chicken and the Chunky Chopped Grill are two of our mainstays, both are under 10% (I think more like 5). IMO, they have a little better protein vs fat content usually.

12. Lulu's2Moms

Lulu's2Moms Member

lots of can popping going on all over the place! lol

ff classic beef is the only flavor lulu does not snub on a consistent basis and i still end up giving him a can of the classic salmon once every week or 2 cause he demands a flavor change. for a few weeks all he would eat was the fish, so i was relieved to find the beef! with our 4 cats, we go thru 8 or 9 cans a day depending, but they eat it. we tried special kitty for the civies, but they liked what lulu had, so ff it is.

one of the good things about ff is that they put out coupons often. i found 2 cases yesterday filled with coupons on the cans! got to use two yesterday and now I have a ton more! i try not to buy in the supermarket because it is more expensive, but i suspect that the pet food stores remove the coupons cause i've never seen them on the cans there. so i frequently check @ supermarket for coupons. it can be worth it to buy a can or so with coupons to use on my bulk purchases elsewhere! and if there is a case on the shelf unopened filled with coupons on the cans... then it is worth the few cents more to buy a case there (cause i can use one of them on the case)

13. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Some cats, like Tucker, can't have the gluten. His IBD acts up which causes a pancreatitis flare then increased BGs, etc, when he eats gluten. Basically he's allergic to wheat and corn gluten and we only learned that by removing the gluten and for a while his diabetes was in remission.

For that reason, we can use only the pate flavors, not the chunky or gravy.

If you check the ingredients, the chunky variety has gluten (posting this simply as an FYI)

FF Chunky chicken

http://www.fancyfeast.com/wet-cat-food/ ... ken-feast/
    Chicken broth, chicken, meat by-products, liver, fish, turkey, wheat gluten, poultry by-products, artificial and natural flavors, soy flour, soy protein concentrate, calcium phosphate, sodium tripolyphosphate, guar gum, potassium chloride, added color, salt, taurine, carrageenan, locust bean gum, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, ferrous sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, niacin, copper sulfate, manganese sulfate, calcium pantothenate, Vitamin A supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, biotin, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, potassium iodide.

FF chicken feast
    http://www.fancyfeast.com/wet-cat-food/ ... ken-feast/
    Chicken, chicken broth, liver, meat by-products, fish, poultry by-products, artificial and natural flavors, calcium phosphate, guar gum, potassium chloride, added color, salt, magnesium sulfate, taurine, zinc sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, niacin, sodium nitrite (to promote color retention), manganese sulfate, calcium pantothenate, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, biotin, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, potassium iodide.

14. mimi1997

mimi1997 Member

I think my cat doesn't like gluten, he will spit out the flakes, slices, or chucks but sucks all gravy or sauce, so I prefer give him pate as well.
    But seriously, I never read ingredient before until Mimi got diabetes...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.