Problems with ReliOn meters, keytones question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Howiesmom, Sep 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Has anyone had problems with their ReliOn meters? I just tested Howie and got a reading of 414 and about fell over as he's never been that high. So I immediately tested him again (within 1-2 minutes) and got readings of 392 and 382. So I don't feel I can even trust what his meter is even telling me if his numbers are that different within 1-2 minutes. I do wipe down his meter but can't use the germicidal wipes that are recommended by ReliOn as I can't source them. So I use filtered water. Has anyone else experienced this or have recommendations? (NOTE: I am slowly switching his food over to Dr. Elsey's CleanProtein wet food as it doesn't have so many additives that can upset his stomach. But it is still well within the acceptable low carb %s. The only other thing he eats are freeze dried treats he's been eating for several weeks. So I don't think it is something going on with what he is eating.)

Also, he has been testing for small amounts of keytones per the ReliOn test strips I have. When he tested positive for keytones right before Labor Day, he was super lethargic, so that made sense. The vet sent me home with sub q fluids spiked with potassium (30 mL twice/day) to flush out his system and that worked. He's been a pretty happy healthy kittie since (all things considered) so was shocked when he started testing for small amounts again within a week. I've been giving him the same fluids since last Thursday (4 days ago) and he doesn't seem to be getting the level down to trace. Again, he's eating fine, he's pretty perky, etc. He is peeing a lot, (but I would too if I had 60 mL of fluids pushed through me!) on top of other water he consumes. Thoughts? I know you are supposed to put the cap back on the test strips immediately and I think I do it in a timely manner, but could these test strips somehow be contaminated even if I am not touching the actual testing area? I stick it into his stream of pee when he is going to the bathroom. I'm trying to get a hold of my vet, but it's a busy Monday AM.

Thanks for your thoughts!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Those three BG are well within the accuracy/reproducibility of handheld meters. Those are actually closer than I would expect.

I do not see much difference in BGs between dosing with 3 units and 6 units. The first dose I see is 6 units on 8/18. What dose was Howie started on?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

It could have more to do with the strips than the meter. o_O

Howiesmom likes this.
  4. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

He was started on 2 units and then was bumped up incrementally up to 6 (I didn't start testing him until the Aug. 17). In early September I took him back down to 3 units as we think he was getting too much insulin and have been moving him up by .25 units as he still hasn't gotten below 200 ever. So his dosage is being worked on. It's the unusual high numbers that were ever-changing this AM is what I was concerned about/questioning. I just tested him at +3.5 and he is at 294 which is more normal for him (but still higher than I certainly want).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.