Problems with glucose testing

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Giuseppe, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Giuseppe

Giuseppe New Member

Hello, I'm Giuseppe and this is my first post here.
    Kittino is a neutered male of almost 14 yo and has been diagnosed with diabetes at the beginning of february. In these months the vet did several times the glycemic curve but she never suggested me to try to test the glucose level at home.
    In the last month I read a lot of guide on the web and decided to buy a glucometer (SD Codefree).
    In the last week I tried to test the glucose level at home but Kittino has also a low blood pressure. I managed to test only 4 times because not much blood comes out.
    I was thinking to try to buy a new glucometer. Do you have any suggestion? I red that maybe the OneTouch Verio Reflect needs less blood.
    Thank you in advance!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Oliver the Roman

Oliver the Roman Member

Hi Giuseppe, welcome to this forum! You can count on loads of helpful support here, rest assured!
    I use Cera-Pet, which I found on ebay. https://www.ebay.it/itm/Cera-Pet-Bl...979645?hash=item1cb5e83a3d:g:z7gAAOSwwb9bcvuk
    I like it because much less amount of blood is required to do the reading than the other brand I was using, just the tiniest droplet will give you the result.
    Also many people use human glucometres and it obviously works just fine. I am sure some people will come in and give you more info on that.
    When you are starting, (and occasionally even after you become completely comfortable with the procedure) it's always a challenge to get a sufficient amount of blood, AND get it to form a nice droplet, not oozing and spreading out all over the place.
    Everyone goes through this, so don't be alarmed!
    Go over the home testing instructions, videos etc. on this site and get the general basics - rice sock, sweet spot etc.
    Clicking device might help, or may not. It sounds like a reassuring gadget, but quite often ends up the cause of not puncturing the ear just right and failure of getting the sufficient blood sample.
    Personally I found free handing was much more effective to get the hang of the "right amount of prick".
    In my personal experience, massaging the ear to get the blood going helps as well. And shave around the area to be pricked, which will help to avoid the blood spreading through the fur. Many suggest applying some vaseline will help to form a drop.
    Also, naturally the golden rule is NOT to get upset or lose your temper when the attempt fails. Cats will get spooked and associate the experience with negativity, it won't help the next attempt.
    Another thing, don't worry, it won't hurt the cat. (or at least mine is not bothered at all) - if you prick a little too much and the ear bleeds more than it should, keep calm. have a cotton ball soaked with disinfectant ready, apply a gentle pressure on the puncture and in about 15-20 seconds it will sort itself out. (cleaning the puncture with the disinfectant/cotton ball should be done after every test, though)
    This is my personal experience which is working quite well for the last 6 months or so.
    I am sure more experienced people will come in and give you more information!
    P.S. just a curiosity, are you from Italy?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  3. Giuseppe

Giuseppe New Member

Yes I am from Italy (Caserta)!
    I checked the CeraPet meter, before buying the CodeFree, on amazon here: https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0722WYTVS but then I deceided to buy another one for the bad reviews. Is it good for you? If yes I can order it and receive it next Tuesday and it would be great!
    I am a beginner at using the meter and of course I'm having issues at the moment, like everyone else :)
    The main problem for me is that the blood that comes out is not that much and I need to prick again in another part of the ear (or prick the other one) but then Kittino becomes angry and uncooperative. I think that a glucometer that needs less blood will help us a lot. At the moment I'm doing free handing, because I am scared of the pen and I feel more confident in this way but I think I will try to use also the pen.

Oliver the Roman likes this.
  4. Oliver the Roman

Oliver the Roman Member

OMG! :eek: I chose this one because the replacement strips were easier to find, which I had real difficulty with the other one. I wasn't aware of such poor review, but perhaps that's why my cat is seemingly doing well with good numbers....??? :facepalm: I did use the former product in between when the additional strips weren't arriving in time, I didn't see such a significant difference though. But in fact, perhaps it will do you better to order something else, just to be on the safe side. Ask other members who use human glucometres, which should be much more readily available than pet specific ones. - since we need to re-order additional strips regularly, availability is also very important!
    Perhaps I will alternate the two and try to determine if there are difference. Thanks for the heads-up though!!! ;)
    Another thing to suggest, in order to get a sufficient amount of blood - do you have something, like a piece of cotton ball, or paper towel or something underneath his ear when you prick (and if you do, is it compact enough, not to fluffy?)? This will support the ear and help stabilizing it, so the needle will puncture more effectively, without the risk of stabbing your finger tip along with his ear. If there is just the air, ear might just bend against the pressure of the needle thus you can't prick sufficiently.
    Wow, so we are practically neighbours!!! I live in Rome! Piacere conoscerti :bighug:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to FDMB!

One quick question -- Is either Caninsulin/Vetsulin or Novolin N the insulin you're giving Kitino? If not, you're posting in the wrong place. (See the link to the Health board below.)

We have a wealth of information on home testing. If you scroll down on this link, there is a section on home testing. One reason you may not be getting much blood is that it can take a week or sometimes more for the capillary bed along the ear to develop. Once you've started home testing, it will get easier.

Also, if you are wanting more input on a general topic like home testing, I'd encourage you to post on the Health board. It's a busier section of FDMB and great for getting help with general information. In addition, this is a holiday weekend in the US and many of the boards are far less busy on holidays.

I would also strongly encourage you to get a spreadsheet set up. It's the best way for. you to keep track of Kittino's test results. It will also allow us to follow his progress. This link for new members will provide instructions for setting up your spreadsheet, putting information in your signature, and other important information about getting started.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. Giuseppe

Giuseppe New Member

Actually also the reviews on the SD Codefree are not that high (3.6/5) so I don't know if they are really so important.
    Today I tried again and failed, pricked Kittino but not much blood came out and then he was really angry... I use a piese of cotton warmed and a bit wet underneath his ear.
    I want to try with another meter but at the moment I don't know which ones requires less amount of blood

Oliver the Roman and Deb & Wink like this.
  7. Giuseppe

Giuseppe New Member

Thank you for all these information! Yes, I'm using Caninsulin. I will create a spreasheed but at the moment I only reached 4 results in 10 days...
    I checked the info about the meter but I can not find those on the italian market. At the moment I would like to try one that needs less amount of blood than the SD CodeFree, that I think will help a lot. Should I post a similar question on the Health board?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The Health forum tends to be busier so you are likely to get a larger response to your questions. Feel free to post in both places.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  9. Oliver the Roman

Oliver the Roman Member

I checked the glucometre you are using, SD CodeFree, it says it requires 0.9ui of blood, that's a LOT!!! No wonder you are struggling to collect the sufficient amount. I had a difficulty collecting the required 0.5 with my first glucometre.
    On the other hand I found this one - I use the syringes from this brand, and I just discovered they make glucometre too. This one requires only 0.3ui of sample, and seems to have better reviews. I might give it a go myself.
    There are indeed some negative reviews, but consider that practically none of the home test kits are 100% accurate, you are expected to give a bit of slack in each reading.
    You might want to look further but there are many that use about 0.5ui of sample, less than yours.

Giuseppe, JanetNJ and Deb & Wink like this.
  10. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

@Oliver the Roman
    Thank you for helping out @Giuseppe with meter choices available in Italy. I'm sure he appreciates the help.

Oliver the Roman likes this.
  11. Oliver the Roman

Oliver the Roman Member

My pleasure! Since different products are found here compared to US or UK, so I try my best to help out! :cat:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  12. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You want to look for a meter that only requires 0.3 size sample. I use an Alphatrak pet meter. The strips are pricy but it's very accurate, takes a small sample, and is the meter most vets use. If the strips are too expensive use a human meter, but definitly look for one that needs a tiny sample size.

Giuseppe and Deb & Wink like this.
  13. JanetNJ

Deb & Wink likes this.
  14. Giuseppe

Giuseppe New Member

Yes! Thank you all for your replies! The SD Codefree requires a sample too big for me and Kittino so I deceided to try with another meter.
    I bought the one I mentioned in the firts post (One touch verio reflect) because I asked the customer service and they told me it needs only a 0.4 size sample.
    I ordered it last Sunday and received only yesterday because the shipping had a delay. We tested the glucose level yesterday evening, using 2 stips, but at least we did it! We tried again this morning and again we were able to test :D
    I will perform the test again in two hours and start to track everything in the spreadsheet.
    Thank you again for your help!

15. JanetNJ

Fantastic!!!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  16. Oliver the Roman

Oliver the Roman Member

Evviva!!! You only need less than half an amount of a sample, that definitely changes the ball game! I am sure things will go much smoother from now on :woot:

Deb & Wink likes this.